Looking for constructive cricticism, be nice! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr. Gloom

Banned
Hey, guys, I recently joined a creative writing team in my college campus. We're a little group and not oficially recognized, but that's fine, we're just a bunch of amateur writers who like to get together and share the stories they've written. Every now and then though, the head of our group will assign to us "homework".

This time, she wanted us to write a short story featuring a sociopath. There were two stipulations though; one, the character featured cannot be a mindless killing machine like Jason from Friday the 13th or Mike Myers from Halloween, who, in her words "might as well be robots for all the diffence it made", and the story has to delve, at least on some level, into the their psyche, it can't just be an account of their exploits.

We're not due to deliver it until the end of next week but I've already gotten started, and I think I'm doing pretty well, but I dunno. I need someone on the outside to give me an impartial opinion, so I'm going around into all the online communities I'm currently apart of asking for an opinion. Keep in mind this will be my first submission to the group, besides the one I made when I first joined. I'm pretty green, so be nice. Also, it's not finished, but that's kinda the point, I want to know if you think it's worth continuing with this story or if I should scrap it altogether and start from scratch. So, without further ado, the prologue to my as-of-yet untitled short story:

"Frieda awoke to the sound of loud music coming from outside her apartment. She snarled, she didn't take well to having her sleep disturbed, never did, not when she was back in Silesia and certainly not here. Still, she figured it would stop after a while and she’d be able to return to her slumber, when that didn't happen though, she decided to get up and see what the hell all the ruckus was about. She went to look out her bedroom window and saw there was a parade going on outside, decorated floats were making their way down the street, one of them had a live band performing on top of it, they were the ones responsible for her rude awakening. On the sidewalks, crowds of people cheered while waving little miniature flags of the German Federal Republic. Was it still called that? Or was it just the German Republic now? It didn't’t make much sense to keep calling it the “Federal” Republic of Germany now that the GDR wasn't around anymore, did it?

For a while, she just stood there, listening to the music. It certainly sounded different from the music in the GDR. Of course she had never been to Berlin, or any other major city, during the those days but from time to time, she still caught their parades and celebrations on the old black and white TV they had back home, before it broke. The people were also different, before they seemed broken, lifeless, like they had given up and were just going through the motions. Now it was as if they had been reinvigorated, they looked cheerful, happy, like their life had purpose again. Of course it didn't’t make a lick of difference to her. She didn't even know the GDR was gone until one day, when Carl came back from his monthly trip down town to buy supplies, rambling on about how everyone was in an uproar because the wall in Berlin had been torn down and all the Russians were retreating back across the border into Poland. She didn't’t really understand what he was saying at the time, nor did she care. Even if it was true, what did it matter? Nothing ever changed where they lived, especially not for them. They’d just be able to go on with their lives as if nothing had ever happened. At least, that’s what she thought…

Eventually the parade moved far enough away from her home that the music started to die down, but it was too late now, she couldn't’t go back to sleep. She went to the bathroom to take a piss, but stopped when she saw her reflection in the mirror. She looked dreadful, her hair was so greasy it looked like it was soaking wet, her face was completely discolored, and the bags under her eyes made it seem like she hadn't slept in months. She never paid much heed to her appearance before, and had even less reason to do it now that there’s no one to keep up appearances for. She hadn't showered or washed in months, and her last change of clothing was, what? Three, four weeks ago? Her body odor was quickly becoming overpowering, and it was wretched. Again, she could care less about how she looked, and it wasn't even as if being unclean caused her discomfort. She’d grown up and lived most of her life in filth, but she worried that it might be getting to a point where she would start drawing unwanted attention to herself. And after what happened in Silesia, she knew all too well how dangerous that could be.

She had to wash. After taking care of the business that brought her to the bathroom in the first place, she put the water running and began to undress. Once the bathtub was full, she went inside. She grabbed a bottle of washing cream and a sponge that were laying nearby, poured some of the cream over her breasts and started scrubbing. Like her brother, her true brother, not that prattling fool Carl, Frieda had an uncanny ability to completely shut out the world around her and focus entirely on the task at hand. Whether it was cooking that lamb stew the two of them so enjoyed, mending and fixing their bedsheets so they wouldn't go cold at night during Winter, or helping him get rid of their latest plaything after it inevitably broke. She would focus all her attention on it, not allowing anything to distract her and not stopping until the task was done. But try as she might, she just couldn’t get into that mindset. Being there naked in the bathtub, without the feeling of Georg’s hands tenderfully running through and washing every inch her body, just served to remind her how alone she really was. After a few half-hearted scrubs of her stomach and arms, she finally gave up.

She leaned back on the bathtub, letting her entire body be immersed underwater save for her face. Where was he now? Where was her Georg? Was he dead? No, he could not be, she’d know if he was. No, he was still out there somewhere, looking for her. Her true brother, her champion, her Sigmund…"

So far the character seems to be in a state of degradation. The Reunification of Germany is an interesting setting as well.
Okay, now you've got me interested. Now you need to tell me what she's sulking about.

I'm never nice and now I'm drunk - but you decided to post here so kindly thank me for this advice and not get all butthurt:

Mr. Gloom said:
We're a little group and not oficially recognized
Nobody gives a ****. Especially if you cannot write officially without ****ing it up. There are little programs checking your spelling for all browsers now, there's no excuse for not utilizing one. It just makes you look sloppy and stupid. Spelling errors in the body might be forgiven - spelling/grammar mistakes in the introduction means that people will instantly throw your work into the bin. TRIPLE-CHECK YOUR WORK.

Also, EVERYONE hates italics. Do NOT use it. It makes you look like a 12-year old kid learning word processors for the first time.

Mr. Gloom said:
"Frieda awoke to the sound of music coming from outside her apartment. Af first, she just snarled, she didn’t take well to having her sleep disturbed, never did, not when she was back in Silesia and certainly not here, but she figured it would stop after a while and she’d be able to return to her slumber.
I already do not give a **** about Frieda. Why? Because you wrote "af first" - who the **** does that? But more than that, you wrote a confusing run-on sentence. Don't be afraid of actually finishing your sentences. Utilizing periods to artificially maintain your sentences forever is childish, stupid and aggravating.

Mr. Gloom said:
When that didn’t happen though, she decided to get up and see what the hell all the ruckus was about.
What didn't happen? The ruckus? The noise? The runon sentence? Something completely different? This sentence is confusing because the earlier runoff sentence was confusing.

Mr. Gloom said:
She went to look out her bedroom window and saw there was a parade going on outside, decorated floats made their way down the street, one of them had a live band performing on top of it, they were the ones responsible for her rude awakening.
Double-check your ****ing grammar. "saw that there was a parade going on outside, WITH decorated floats" - when you ask random people on the Internet for help, you DO want to avoid basic mistakes. You know, the type that a Word 93 is enough to handle. How did you spell-check this ****? Not at all? Insulting.

Also, how the **** were the floats decorated? Guys do not give a **** about decorations on float, you might not as well mention them. Girls will care a lot about the decorations, because they will assume that you use them to set the mood for upcoming scenes. Either the floats are NOTHING, or you actually define them and describe them in detail. This "floats were decorated" bull**** is just that, BULL****.

Mr. Gloom said:
On the sidewalks, crowds cheered, though their cheers were almost completely drowned out by the blarring music, while waving little miniature flags of the German Federal Republic.
Wat. wat. wat. wat. wat.

Are you retarded? Never use a paradox sentence, unless you've already earned the Noble prize for literature. Or you're a highly prized Polish Sci-Fi author. And you're neither. Crowds are not drowned out by blarring music. What the **** is blarring, anyway? The entire point of crowds is that they FILL OUT SCENES, that they are major thing. When you're using the word just as a cheap method to inflate the importance of something else coming up later, you're being AN AWFUL HACK. Stop writing, and sign up for deep-sea fishing where a horny giant bass might love you to death.

Mr. Gloom said:
Was it still called that? Or was it just the German Republic now? It didn’t make much sense to keep calling it the “Federal” Republic of Germany now that the GDR wasn’t around anymore, did it?
CONGRATULATIONS! You made a paragraph without any glaring errors, obvious to any "english as 2nd-language-student". Mommy must be proud. But it's still stereotypical, juvenile, obvious, blatant, flagrant, glaring, overt, patent, obvious, manifest and palpable. Building up for something isn't wrong. It's just cheap when it's so obviously clear that it's coming. Basically, you're writing Twilight fanfiction here: THE SEXY VAMPIRE IS COMING, HE'S COMING, HE'S COMING, HE'S HERE, LET'S ****!!!"

Mr. Gloom said:
For a while, she just stood there, listening to the music. It was certainly sounded different from the music in the GDR.
It was certainly sounded.

IT WAS CERTAINLY SOUNDED.

Is your native language Swahili or something?

Mr. Gloom said:
Of course, she had never been to Berlin, or any other major city, during the those  days, but from to time tp to,e, she still caught their parades and celebrations on the old black and white TV she had back in her family home in Silesia, before the damn thing broke, at least.
MAJOR RUN-OFF SENTENCE AGAIN!!!

And spelling as well. "from to time tp,e, she" WHAT THE ****?

And why is the old black-and-white TV back in the family home at Silesia? When you've already mentioned that? Are you writing to illiterate retards? Yes you are. Stop thinkíng like that.

Mr. Gloom said:
The people were also different, before they seemed broken, lifeless, like they had completely given up and were just going through the motions.
The people were also different. Broken. Lifeless. Like they had completely given up. And were just going through the motions.

Inspect both sentences and decide which carries a heavier emotional burden.

Mr. Gloom said:
Now it was if they had been revitalized, they were cheerful, happy.
Wat. That's how North-Korea describes happy people. It lacks emotion, truth.

Mr. Gloom said:
Of course, it didn’t make a lick of difference to her. She didn’t even know the GDR was gone until one day, when Carl came back from his monthly trip down town to buy supplies, prattling on about how everyone was in an uproar because the wall in Berlin had been torn down and all the Russians were retreating back across the border into Poland.
WAT. This is the single biggest WTF moment in the entire text. Obviously you're too young to have actually experience the fall of the Berlin Wall, but that does not fly AT ALL, you stupid ****. IT WAS THE BIGGEST THING IN THE LAST 50 YEARS OF EUROPEAN HISTORY. Nobody was "ooh, I must have missed it, let me check the DVR", and implying such makes you look like a total idiot. Even more so for black market racketeers, whose business entirely relied on having an up-to-moment knowledge of border status.

Mr. Gloom said:
She didn’t really understand what he was saying at the time, nor did she particularly care. Even if it was true, what did it matter to them? Nothing ever changed where they lived, especially not for them. They’d just go on with their lives as if nothing ever happened. At least, that’s what she thought…
Okay, this is fairly decent, but it's still completely unbelievable. The Fall of the Wall was such a huge event that it influenced everyone. It wasn't Bieber ****ting his pants or Cobain shooting his brains out, it was 10000000x times biggers. And for EVERY european, it was A BIG ****ING DEAL. To make that sort of reaction believable, you'd have to spend 200 pages writing how your protagonist is an idiot savant, with no connections to the society around her.

Mr. Gloom said:
Eventually the parade moved far enough away from her home that the music started to die down, but it was too late, she couldn’t go back to sleep now.
Wat. Is she remembering old stuff or is this happening right now?

Mr. Gloom said:
She went to the bathroom to take a piss, but stopped when she saw her reflection in the mirror. She looked dreadful, her hair was so greasy it looked like it was soaking wet, her face was completely discolored, and the bags under her eyes made it seem like she hadn’t slept in months. She never paid much heed to her appearance before, and had even less reason to do it now that there’s no one to keep up appearances for.
Wat. Wat. Wat. Wat.

What has this to do with anything you wrote before?

Mr. Gloom said:
She hadn’t showered or washed in months, and her last change of clothing was what? Three, four weeks ago? Her body odor was quickly becoming overpowering, and it was wretched.
People do not smell their own  BO.

Mr. Gloom said:
Again, she could care less about how she looked, and it wasn’t even as if being unclean caused her discomfort, she’d grown up and lived most of her life in filth, but she worried that it might be getting to a point where she’d start drawing unwanted attention to herself, and after what happened in Silesia, she knew well how dangerous that could be."
And this is bull**** as well. Jesus, are you 13-years old or what?

Everything you wrote is awful, and you should rewrite it all. Do not believe RalliX.

Honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or just trolling, since I'm mug half-full kinda guy, I'll go for the former. As for the mistakes, I'm sorry, I messed up when copy-pasting it from Word.

As for you cricticism about her not knowing about the fall of the Berlin Wall, that will be explained later, and the lack of emotion is very much intentional, and people can smell their own BO if it becomes strong enough, I learn that first-hand during a camping trip gone wrong a few years back. :smile:

Also, what exactly made you think this character was involved in any way in black market dealings or racketeering? Because she's most certainly not, and I really don't know where you got that one from. :neutral:

Mr. Gloom said:
Honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or just trolling, since I'm mug half-full kinda guy, I'll go for the former.

She's doing neither, she's being honest.

:lol:

Mr. Gloom said:
As for the mistakes, I'm sorry, I messed up when copy-pasting it from Word.

I kinda doubt that copy-pasting mistakes would lead to run-on sentences.  :razz:

Moose! said:
I kinda doubt that copy-pasting mistakes would lead to run-on sentences.  :razz:

That wasn't what I was referring to. Listen, I'm just trying to get some feedback here. Like I said, this is gonna be my first real submission to the group and I wanna make a good impression. Unless you have anything constructive to add that might actually help me, you don't need to bother replying, alright?

Edit it a couple of times and work on your sentence structure. Jhess is right in pointing out that you frequently use very strange structure, which disrupts the flow of the writing.

Either describe things in detail (that are relevant to creating the imagery) or use  a very minimalistic stlye, don't do both. Similarly, many of the descriptions are bland and often seem off.

Also, you need a hook, otherwise why am I reading? At the moment I have no real reason to read past the first paragraph.

Seriously, Jhess had some nice points, just ignore the bouts of rage.

Úlfheðinn said:
Edit it a couple of times and work on your sentence structure. Jhess is right in pointing out that you frequently use very strange structure, which disrupts the flow of the writing.

Either describe things in detail (that are relevant to creating the imagery) or use  a very minimalistic stlye, don't do both. Similarly, many of the descriptions are bland and often seem off.

Also, you need a hook, otherwise why am I reading? At the moment I have no real reason to read past the first paragraph.

Seriously, Jhess had some nice points, just ignore the bouts of rage.

Well, that is something at least, but could you give a specific example? I'm not dismissing what you're saying, it's just that it's a bit too vague.

To be frank, Jhessail did point out all the issues with your paragraphs.
Grammar, development, and direction are all quite disorganized.

Some rules to go by:
1: When a group of words have both a subject and verb, consider whether it might be better off as its own sentence.

2: It is not sufficient that you yourself know the backstory of your character. You must include relevant parts of the history before or immediately after you describe a trait which people may have trouble believing. The reader must know how, why, where, when.
If the reader does not have their questions about a character answered, it will leave them thinking the character is an empty shell.

3: Know what you are trying to express, what story you are trying to tell, before you write it. Know where you're going with this. Otherwise, you may end up putting a bunch of disjointed paragraphs down with no sign of progress.

Hey, guys, I'm done with the prologue, and I've made a few adjustements to what I already had, check the OP if you want to see them. I took some your cricticism into account and hope you find this new and improved version of the story to be more enjoyable.

It's true that ponctuation is something I have always had a problem with, sometimes it even made me wonder if I am dyslexic. I tried giving it a minor few touches, but since there's no such thing as a ponctuation checker, there isn't a whole lot I can do. Hopefully, during my time in the group, I'll be able to learn and improve on this.

As for the whole no backstory issue, keep in mind: this is just the prologue. I'm just establishing the situation at this point. I will start getting into the characters' backstory in more detail when I get to chapter 1 proper. Hope you like flashbacks, because we'll be going into one next time. :smile:

Thanks again.

Hey, guys. I know bumping is probably not considered kosher 'round these parts, but I just wanted to call your attention to let you know I've finally finished the prologue (for really reals this time) and updated the OP. Still working on chapter one proper, having a bit of a writers' block. Hopefully will be able to sort that out soon. Anyway, enjoy the update. :wink:

What the hell it went from a book about reunification to an incestuous erotica! Dude are you just mashing any and every idea together?

...and if you are trying to go for an erotic novel. Your word choice is horrible.

No, the story was never meant to be about post-reunification Germany, why would you think that? That's just the setting. The story is about the characters.

Also, I'll defer you to the title of the thread; "Looking for CONSTRUCTIVE cricticism". Saying "it's terrible" isn't really what I'd call being constructive.

Okay I've looked through this thread and everyone who has given you constructive criticism you ignored. So I'm not going to bother going into details.

Back
Top Bottom