Vikingr Uninstalled My whole Programfiles folder

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjelljerv

Recruit
So basicly what happend is I had installed Vikingr to Programfiles folder without making a separate Vikingr folder and when I unistalled it... well it decided it was best to make sure and delete the whole ****ing folder. MAJOR CODING FLAW! This costs me several days of downloads and program tweakig, lost saves and program settings prefrences.

Im done

well **** I dont know. Its a long time since  I installed the mod. I have been playing it and it works. When I uninstalled from the control panel this happend. when I noticed I had to force shut down on my comp, it was then half way through the whole folder. firefox, battlefield, origins, blender, Breaking pont etc all gone.

Edit: even if I didnt follow instructions when I installed this should not have happend, its a major bug in the uninstall code

Edit:edit: No I installed Vikingr to a separate location. not in like a normal mod.

No. It's not a bug at all. If I understood correctly you installed directly into the Program Files root folder. In essence meaning that all the game files were in the root folder, not in a Vikingr folder. And as it happens to be the uninstall program apparently just deletes the installation folder. You can sadly only blame yourself for this, no-one is ever responsible if things go wrong when instruction aren't followed, otherwise our societies would fall apart.

hehe. ok. how should I put this.
apparantly the installer does not make a folder when it installs, u have to manually do it yourself. (most programs does make a folder automaticly)
If uninstalling the whole folder is the common practice I would have NO data left on my comp.

1) You installed it wrong. Read next time.

2) It's not the mod, you've clearly got another issue. Everytime there is a new Víkingr release, for as long as I can remember, I have always done multiple installs in different ways. The instructed way, the install-like-a-normal-mod way (i.e to modules/program files etc) or whatever, for experiment and development reasons. I have never had an issue like this.

3) Alot of people have installed to the wrong folder and uninstalled without issue. I find it unlikely (read: 100% improbable) that Víkingr is suddenly the barer of a poor "uninstall code".

To sum up, look to yourself and your own possible faults and mistakes rather than directing your anger at the module. Had your opening post been a little less aggressive and blame-laden we would have been fully willing to help you. But, rather not so with that kind of attitude.

Unlucky, bro.

KickingJoub said:
No. It's not a bug at all. If I understood correctly you installed directly into the Program Files root folder. In essence meaning that all the game files were in the root folder, not in a Vikingr folder. And as it happens to be the uninstall program apparently just deletes the installation folder. You can sadly only blame yourself for this, no-one is ever responsible if things go wrong when instruction aren't followed, otherwise our societies would fall apart.
Wow, never heard of anyone doing that. That's bound to cause problems.

sorry for being mad. I shoud not have let it infect my posts.

Yes I made a mistake while installing the mod 2 years ago I am fully aware and take full responsability.
I was probably aware at that time that the mod did not make a folder automaticly and that it got installed directly into the folder but didnt think much of it.

But I fail to understand how it would delete all other programs in that folder and I fail to understand how anything else but the uninstaller could be the source of that.
A bug does not mean that the wole code is poor. sometimes a bug occur when a lot of ''ifs'' and ''elses'' crashes toghether in unexpected ways.

but you where right about my attitude and Im sorry, was just frustrated.

Fjelljerv said:

Thanks.

Fjelljerv said:
But I fail to understand how it would delete all other programs in that folder and I fail to understand how anything else but the uninstaller could be the source of that.

KickingJoub has already given his explanation. And I believe this what he means:

The uninstaller DID cause this issue, but under NO fault of it's own. It did what it's required to do. Uninstall and delete what it can of the folder it's in. In this case, due to YOU not installing it correctly, it was in the Program Files folder directly, not (for example) in the Víkingr folder within the Program Files. Meaning the uninstaller said "Uninstall everything here in the folder I am in (i.e Program Files, as opposed to just the Vikingr folder)? Sure!".

However, I don't think this is the issue and I reiterate - I and no one eltes has ever had this issue. Ergo, the only other factor is you/your PC. You have another underlying issue.

Basically I meant what Celtic said, and after looking into it a little bit I haven't found a Vikingr uninstaller, meaning that it (most likely) uses an automated Windows uninstallation. This in turn means that with Windows being silly the automated process deletes the installation folder. This however is speculation at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom