[V0.11]Custom settlements options and installation on the world map

Users who are viewing this thread

Cernunos

Banned
Right now, the player can create custom settlements anywhere he wants (but no to close to other settlements or city), and his settlements configuration are defined solely by his knowledge. However, I would like that the player have many options to create his settlements, mainly because there are available centre of interest nearby, like natural ressources, strong defensive position, and so on. So the player, depending on what he wants to do, would have to choose a great spot for his settlement.

Any design ideas here would be welcome.

Some design note: I don"t want to multiply various spots on the map, as they are parties, and could require ressources, and slow down the game. However, adding a few wouldn't hurt.

I think the natural resources' closeness takes care of itself, since if you settle near a resource you can easily and quickly make trips for the resource. Unless you mean things like food or wood, which would be trickier and need to check for terrain type.

Definitely. I was imagining something like a pre settlement check. It would make a few random spots close to the pre settlements spot, like: seemingly fertile land, or iron outcrop, or nicely grown wood, or whatever. Terrain dependant, indeed.
From this, the player could either chose to settle here, and make these spots permanent and usable. Ot he could decide it is not what he is looking for, and go see elsewhere. After some times, these spots would vanish, and he could come back here and re check.

Hmm, actually... why don't you just add a 'settle here' option to the existing harvesting spots, maybe adding some unharvestable 'highly defensible' spots in, say, mountains where you can settle or camp in for a camping bonus, and you're good?

I think i found a bug i had a settlement and i was guarding it for a few days from bandits then i ride off to Shariz to get some supplies i come back and it's a bandit cave! (I set it up on the border of the map in the desert, also when it became a bandit cave it was a mountain bandit cave which was weird since we were in the desert). Before i create another settlement did i do anything wrong?

No. Your settlement ran out of food, people died , and when it reaches 50 inhabitants, it turns to a bandit hideout. I didn't make a specific bandit holdout for each terrain type.

Some tips: make every thing to improve food production at first (ffod gardens, and food gatherers. Master food gatherers really increase food production a lot). I mean, really focus on this. Winter is very bad season. Best chance is spring / summer, autumn, it is then that you will grow/gather the more food.

However, It might need balance. This is really a WIP of some sort.

So I can't have a settlement over 50 ppl?
Edit: nevermind i realized what you meant i took your advice and started with 2 food gatherers now my settlement is seemingly "stable" Thanks! great mod btw

Yes, they will slowly wither and die, just like in "real life" people die.
Maybe I should add more options, because right now, the player is quite optionless to try to have his settlements grow. He just has the choice of what buildings he can construct, and put all base workers into food gathering.

What is the season ? Season has a dramatic impact on food gathering. You will gahter almost NO food in winter, and early spring. Maybe I should add some food gatherers (hunters ?) that are not season dependant.

It's April in the game so Spring. also i have one more question, If we have so many inhabitants why do I only have a few base workers? also will i eventually be able to walk around in the settlement?

I marked spring as "below average", as far as food gathering goes.
Inhabitants are kind of an abstract value, that allows me to make more calculations. You can consider base workers as possibly highly specialized worlkers, that will get better once you use them for something. One new base worker appears for every 50 NEW inhabitants. So 1000 inhabitants could have 20 base workers. And you can take workers from one settlement to another.
However, this might require balance, or even changes.

I am sorry I am no scener, so it won't be possible to walk through your settlement. although I dream I could make some fort/castle/forteresse scènes for each types of terrains...

Thanks for explaining that to me, I understand this part of the mod is still in it's early stages I will of course still be playing your mod it's to epic to only play one part Thanks for making such a great one :grin:

Planned improvement for settlements options:
Right now, the player can just create his settlement, if he his far enough from other settlements, villages, and so on.
I want to give a more "civ-like" feel to settlement creation:

So, planned changes:
The player who wants to construct a settlement will first assess the situation. He will create a "potential settlement". Around it, according to his knowledges, terrain types, and so on, some specific spots will appear:
Fertile area; mystic place, beautifull forest, abundant iron ore, stony fields.... They will have a value: poor, average, excellent, incredible.

From there, the player will be able to turn the potential settlement into a definitive settlement, that will grant him access to these ressources.

If he his not interested, all ressources and potential settlement will vanish after some times (a month or so), so the player can aventually come back, and try again to find a proper settlement place, roughly on the same spot.

Any feelings about this system ?

I created just that.
The player, when wanting to create a new settlement, will first create a "settlement spot". Some features will appear around it:
fertile area; mystic place; lake full of fish, hunting ground, nice forest; stones outcrop; mineral ore; filthy marshes.

If the player does nothing, everything will vanish after some times, and the player will be able to re settle the same area. However, everythings will then disappear. If the player goes for installing the settlement, he will ba able to use the specific areas to increase the settlement.

Ideas:
1) Lords should take intrest in your settlments, like looting, destroing, demanding taxes, offering vassalisation,
2) Settlment can grow to village or to town
3) Can build more buildings to settlement like "wall, well, barrack, woodcutter house etc
4) Settlments have treasury, where they pay taxes every weak, you can use treasury to build up settlment, or take money and make settlers angry.
5) when settlement grow they want to choose village elder or chief or some boss
6) unhappy settlement will rebel, and become new factions, what train armys depending on theyr trasure, until it will be destroyed.

1) complex for me. It should be done however, to make things really interesting. I will look into this, but not my immediate to do list.
2) coming in V0.11
3) yes, definitely. What building, what do they do, tied to what knowledge ?
4) exactly what is already in ^^
5) hmmm, I might make some special event for settlements, yes.
6) might be to complex for me to add. I will look into this, but not my immediate to do list.

Thanks for feedback.

Is it possible to make a settlement a bit like you have to build it up on your on in the first place?
Would add some nice playing if you would have to choose a place where you have to gather stuff your self with some kind special equip.
F.e. find a nice spot with some trees and stones etc. than go into this place after setting up a spot and start cutting down trees with an axe (stand infront of a tree and chop and after some hit you get 1 wood in your inv) same with stone. than bring it to a construction side (f.e. a chest to store) till you have enough for the first building.
Later on people move in the village and do this stuff on their own like it is now, but if you need a outtime of the traveling and killing you could still do that to have a little bit more rp. don´t know if that is even possible but at least i wanted to mention it :smile: btw this is a great mod and i love it

I really don't think I would make the scènes you propose, sorry. I know there are mods that offer this kind of scenery interactions, I think PW offers that, you might check it.
However, thank you for your interest, and I am glad you like the mod.
Cheers :smile:

Back
Top Bottom