Maximum Difficulty and most optimal build.

Users who are viewing this thread

sumusiko

Veteran
Well guys, I'm no newbie around PoP and have had my fair share of vaseline stories , but now I decided to step it up and go ham. Gonna start a new game on maximum difficulty , for you more experienced guys , what seemed to be the most effective build on maximum difficulty?

Tips would be nice too since changing difficulty actually changes A LOT of the game because you must approach it in different ways that you couldn't before.

What were your difficulty settings before...?
I balance out Str + Agi in the beginning, then invest all in Int. It'll be a little hard to get the 1st qualis gems, until then I use a courser, spear then light lance and crossbow, later composite bow.

Of course, invest at least 2 in riding, then Power Strike and Power Draw.
Then max out pathfinding + training (to max 5), wnd treatment + first aid (to 5, 8, later 10)

Solo out a bit in the beginning, looking for Ansen + Leslie, and collecting as much money as possible with trade and easy bandits.

For Red Brotherhood or Outlaw bands I employ some adventurers/rogue knights until I can hire Sir Jocelyn, Roland and Alistair (optimally Jocelyn first). I pick one party roster I like and build my companions accordingly, then I build the other companions as knights with sword, blunt + shield.
If companions leave they leave, I re-hire them when I run into them.

1st priority is getting the first qualis gem in Rane....the 2nd gem in brotherhood hideout is delayed for much later. I prefer building my companion roster with infantry archer build, so until they are effective for bandit hideouts it takes some time.

With enough renown, I get merc contract for faction, earning big money from lord ransoms, else focusing on village + town quests. I use any denars I have on recruiting all companions, then buy fief enterprises.

Once my renown allows me to get a 60-70ish party, and I get a few nice prisoner Rogue Knights/Adventurers/faction knights recruited, I try to work on the Quigfen quest. If needed, I battle the roaming Jatu Horde 2-3 times until they're all dead.
Then I get N_composite bow for my archer companions.

After this, it's mainly working on getting good equipment for all companions, while building renown to get a 100-120 ish party. At this time I start planning for a fief to capture (either rogue or joining faction) as get to get started on my CKO.
At this point, I also start recruiting highest tier infantry for the siege, so not entirely counting only on cavalry troops.

Doing Knight Order quests is fine also, any way as soon as you can, depending on which order you want.
That's it, dunno how other guys are playing.

I don't think it's uncommon to play at 100% damage. I can melee extremely well and I'm not one of those hardcore WB duelists. Then again, melee for me is getting potshots with a +200 reach polearm (Halberd/Glaive) and otherwise hiding behind my shield. :mrgreen:

Pendor doesn't force you to play in a specific way at higher difficulties, there is quite a bit of build variety. I myself prefer Int/Str emphasis for Surgery 10+(4) and stack trainer like crazy. Allows me to both maintain my forces rather easily and quickly build an army from scratch. I do not find higher campaign difficulty or higher troop # to be an issue either.

Addendum: Soloing

While Soloing seems popular for renown, I never do this. I find I can get renown more quickly (and far more safely) facing challenging enemies with my army rather than trying to fight weak enemies by myself. Late game I'll frequently stroll around with just my campanions, but at that point I am not really concerned with renown.

Mercs, prisoners and tagging along friendly Lords is my recipe for success early game.

Are you playing with realistic saves or with save + reloads? It makes a huge difference. It also makes a big difference on how you plan on ending the game. If you plan to have your own kingdom, then you better also work up relations with lords by joining as a merc for a while for each faction. Otherwise, you should join whatever faction you want to stick with as soon as you can.

In the early game, I like going around with a small, mounted party. This lets you chase down easy encounters and run away from tough ones. Pick the companions you want to use long term to level them up. As a piece of advice -- the best companion set isn't the largest group you can hire, but the ones that have high level and good Trainer (Jocelyn), or low level but good stats so that they can level up and become powerful fighters (and decent trainers).

In either case, in the long run, with elixirs, it's possible to have a "do everything" build that has 30 in Str/Agi/Cha and more skill points than you know what to do with. Remember that even if you can't take on a unique spawn by yourself, you can always join in a fight in progress and capture the unique spawn, as long as your relation with the unique spawn is negative, and you join when their hero is at 30+% health.

If you want a real "max difficulty" game.
Grab tweak mb and buff the reinforcements wave for every battle to 99. (Even the sieges)

This will alter things quite a bit.

Theo H said:
Grab tweak mb and buff the reinforcements wave for every battle to 99. (Even the sieges)

Exactly this :smile:  I set wave reinforcements to 99, I set battle sizer to 300 and I set the minimum threshold to 50-60 for both attacker/defender.  in large encounters 1500 vs 1500, you get one huge continuous battle!!!  TBH I rarely survive to the end.  In fact, there is a big choice I find I have to make in these big battles.  Command my army from a hill top, attacking, killing the odd straggler that gets close or go into the melee and do some killing but risk getting killed and having your army charge forward.  (note, I don't use commands after I get knocked out). 

Also, with this kind of setup, archers have to be used in a smarter way, can't just let them keep firing or they run out of ammo pretty soon.  Micro managing is more important now. 

Pacific_Salmon said:
Theo H said:

Exactly this :smile:  I set wave reinforcements to 99, I set battle sizer to 300 and I set the minimum threshold to 50-60 for both attacker/defender.  in large encounters 1500 vs 1500, you get one huge continuous battle!!!  TBH I rarely survive to the end.  In fact, there is a big choice I find I have to make in these big battles.  Command my army from a hill top, attacking, killing the odd straggler that gets close or go into the melee and do some killing but risk getting killed and having your army charge forward.  (note, I don't use commands after I get knocked out). 

Also, with this kind of setup, archers have to be used in a smarter way, can't just let them keep firing or they run out of ammo pretty soon.  Micro managing is more important now.

Similar to me.

Battle size 270 but reinforcements come at about 70-75 troops for either attacker and defender in field fights.
I haven't altered sieges yet...not hardcore enough for that yet. But I may stick 2 or so extra waves on...cant hurt.

The only downside of this it makes uber spawns kinda easier to kill...since they lose the health free regen after each field battle normal troops get. Get picked off easier.

* Don't merc for any lords, nor vassal for any faction.
* Use only infantry/archers. No Calvary what-so-ever.
*Don't use qualis gems.
*Don't build industries.
*Focus on Str/Agi skills for you and you compansies only. Int skills are for wimps.
*Stockpile much vasoline.

Shingen said:
*Don't use qualis gems.
*Don't build industries.
*Focus on Str/Agi skills for you and you compansies only. Int skills are for wimps.
There's a huge difference between playing a game at max difficulty, and just making a game difficult.

Btw, even more difficult:
*use only cavalry and no infantry/archers
*raise only AGI and INT for your main, no INT for companions
*never flee from a battle
*no mixed troops, even from prisoners + no noldor or CKO
*no simulated battles vs noldor/heretic armies
*you can buy enterprises, but never sell prisoners to Red Brotherhood or Ramun
*no opportunistic battle joining
*never fight noldor

Would this playthrough be possible?

A Dishonorable Hero recking havoc across Pendor lands with corrupted/careless companions and fielding an army of Heretic Magnus/Worshiper and Knights of the Eventide.

Since the victory conditions require 1 Kingdom to conquer the map, i am thinking of playing as hero who will not become a vassal or a merc but indirectly help 1 Kingdom while screwing up the other 4.

The main things to do:

- Indirectly support D'Shar so that they win (Singal will be the only city to help, since the Eventide are there).
- Help Heretic parties
- Become Grandmaster of Eventide
- Do Dishonorable missions
- Raid the caravans of the other 4 Factions
- Bait Enemy Lords into unique spawns and get them slaughtered
- Help D'Shar Lords when needed
- Be the most feared character in Pendor

Companions:

Siggie, Sara, Alistair, Ediz, Kassim, Riva, Donavan (This group doesn't care if you loot or do dishonorable stuff in general)

Character:

- STR/AGI only
- Eventide Equipment only (Morning Star / Sword / Lance / etc)

Theo H said:

I've been playing this way for a while as I find the normal approach rather annoying. Infinite reinforcements can be a true endurance test when you have +1000 troops on both sides. I think my highest personal kill count was 660 kills. I still somehow lossed that battle however...
Pacific_Salmon said:
Exactly this :smile:  I set wave reinforcements to 99, I set battle sizer to 300 and I set the minimum threshold to 50-60 for both attacker/defender.  in large encounters 1500 vs 1500, you get one huge continuous battle!!!  TBH I rarely survive to the end...
I wish my computer could handle larger battle sizes than 150. I've told myself repeatedly that when I build myself a new PC that one of the first performance tests is going to be seeing how high I can jack up my troop numbers.  :mrgreen:

I get KOed quite a bit as well, but that is probably not too unpredictable with my preference for fighting in melee. So long as your troops aren't completely wiped out though I find it surprisingly safe to be at either the rear or center of my troops. The bigger challenge is fighting the urge to immediately flee upon getting KOed, which can actually be rather abusable. I will frequently compromise by forcing myself to do a difficult workout before I am allowed to flee, and I do moderate workouts when I get KOed as well.

If I realize that my initial troops are going to get wiped out I usually avoid the early melee and opt for horse archery. Divide them up, shoot some horses, try not to run into trees and boulders. I find this to be a bit safer but I find nothing matches the destructive potential I am capable of with a Polearm. It's also much more fun.
Pacific_Salmon said:
The only downside of this it makes uber spawns kinda easier to kill...since they lose the health free regen after each field battle normal troops get. Get picked off easier.
I find this is only really a concern for Demonic Magnus. There is also whittling unique spawns by attacking --> KOed --> Fleeing, but I avoid this on principle as I find it rather cheap and metagamey. Also denies you of epic lootz.

Shingen said:
This does sound a bit tougher. No Merc pay, and you cannot easily reset relations. Vassal play is just EZ mode, especially if you don't intend to conquer pendor. I imagine earlygame would be much slower and much more annoying.
I basically do this anyways! Gahahaha
*Don't use qualis gems.
But I need my Rune Glaive!!! I don't actually see this as a major addition to challenge though.
*Don't build industries.
Combined with no Merc contracts, ugh
No Path-Finding/Surgery/Trainer is just mean. Like seriously.
No INT skills is the most damning thing, with no Merc/Vassal play being the 2nd due to my 50-200 army size play basically relying on that. I just started a new game again and have a fresh reminder of the pains of being low-leveled with ~50 troops.
zykox said:
With high trainer you can get away with mass Hero Adventurers later on, although the Merc pay nerf likely weakens this from when I abused this a few years ago. Early game Calv doesn't seem uncommon, although I always field Inf/Archer (Barclay, Crossbow Mercs, and now Highlanders) armies early game.
INT is so good that I don't see this as a major loss, although being regulated to spectator sounds like torture.
Ouch. I try to do this but frequently opt out with a workout punishment... I do go out of my way to avoid abusing flee to wear down the unique spawns though. Not an issue with Lords as they replenish their troops naturally.
I frequently go pure Empire so this doesn't seem so bad.
I would think this is a given. :wink:
Without blunt CKO I've never really considered prisoners to be a major revenue source, and my Avatar (new game) is presently running around with a Veteran Polehammer.
If this translates to the player only being able to initiate battles themselves I think this hits too close to a fundamental gameplay element. I do agree that it's a bit exploitable to abuse the fact that player battles immediately resolve when there are multiple engagements going on, like when you have Marshall vs Marshall.
*never fight noldor
Doesn't that make things simpler unless you are trying to cheese their equipment in some fashion?
I actually think the former list is more difficult due to ignoring INT skills on everyone.
shoshuro said:

A Dishonorable Hero recking havoc across Pendor lands with corrupted/careless companions and fielding an army of Heretic Magnus/Worshiper and Knights of the Eventide.

Since the victory conditions require 1 Kingdom to conquer the map, i am thinking of playing as hero who will not become a vassal or a merc but indirectly help 1 Kingdom while screwing up the other 4.
Definately possible, especially as you are aiding an AI faction. It's basically Merc/Vassal play without any of the benefits. Once a faction gains momentum they can swallow up other factions with surprising speed.

IlluminaZer0 said:
Theo H said:

I've been playing this way for a while as I find the normal approach rather annoying. Infinite reinforcements can be a true endurance test when you have +1000 troops on both sides. I think my highest personal kill count was 660 kills. I still somehow lossed that battle however...
Pacific_Salmon said:
Exactly this :smile:  I set wave reinforcements to 99, I set battle sizer to 300 and I set the minimum threshold to 50-60 for both attacker/defender.  in large encounters 1500 vs 1500, you get one huge continuous battle!!!  TBH I rarely survive to the end...
I wish my computer could handle larger battle sizes than 150. I've told myself repeatedly that when I build myself a new PC that one of the first performance tests is going to be seeing how high I can jack up my troop numbers.  :mrgreen:

I get KOed quite a bit as well, but that is probably not too unpredictable with my preference for fighting in melee. So long as your troops aren't completely wiped out though I find it surprisingly safe to be at either the rear or center of my troops.

If I realize that my initial troops are going to get wiped out I usually avoid the early melee and opt for horse archery. Divide them up, shoot some horses, try not to run into trees, boulders, or random horses. I find this to be a bit safer but I find nothing matches the destructive potential I am capable of with a Polearm. It's also much more fun.
Pacific_Salmon said:
I find this is only really a concern for Demonic Magnus. There is also whittling unique spawns by attacking --> KOed --> Fleeing, but I avoid this on principle as I find it rather cheap and metagamey. Also denies you of epic lootz.

Shingen said:
This does sound a bit tougher. No Merc pay, and you cannot easily reset relations. Vassal play is just EZ mode, especially if you don't intend to conquer pendor. I imagine earlygame would be much slower and much more annoying.
I basically do this anyways! Gahahaha
*Don't use qualis gems.
But I need my Rune Glaive!!! I don't actually see this as a major addition to challenge though.
*Don't build industries.
Combined with no Merc contracts, ugh
No Path-Finding/Surgery/Trainer is just mean. Like seriously.
No INT skills is the most damning thing, with no Merc/Vassal play being the 2nd due to my 50-200 army size play basically relying on that. I just started a new game again and have a fresh reminder of the pains of being low-leveled with ~50 troops.
zykox said:
With high trainer you can get away with mass Hero Adventurers later on, although the Merc pay nerf likely weakens this from when I abused this a few years ago. Early game Calv doesn't seem uncommon, although I always field Inf/Archer (Barclay, Crossbow Mercs, and now Highlanders) armies early game.
INT is so good that I don't see this as a major loss, although being regulated to spectator sounds like torture.
Ouch. I try to do this but frequently opt out with a workout punishment rationalization... I do go out of my way to avoid abusing flee to wear down the unique spawns though. Not an issue with Lords as they replenish their troops naturally.
I frequently go pure Empire so this doesn't seem so bad.
I would think this is a given. :wink:
Without blunt CKO I've never really considered prisoners to be a major revenue source, and my Avatar (new game) is presently running around with a Veteran Polehammer.
If this translates to the player only being able to initiate battles themselves I think this hits too close to a basic gameplay element.
*never fight noldor
Doesn't that make things simpler unless you are trying to cheese their equipment in some fashion?
I actually think the former list is more difficult due to ignoring INT skills on everyone.
shoshuro said:

Definately possible, especially as you are aiding an AI faction. It's basically Merc/Vassal play without any of the benefits. Once a faction gains momentum they can swallow up other factions with surprising speed.
How can you infinte reinforcments?

zykox said:
Shingen said:
*Don't use qualis gems.
*Don't build industries.
There's a huge difference between playing a game at max difficulty, and just making a game difficult.

I've never played this game except on full damage/max battle size, so really the only way to increase difficulty to self-impose limits.

The above conditions are pretty much how I usually play ('cept for the INT skills :wink: ). And I almost always - exclusively use Rogue Knights/squires for my military.

Mmh, as i understand it sumusiko wants to know how to put skillpoints/grow attributes in a game with maximum difficulty -> you know, the options settings.

I have a questions about that, too. I wanted to start a poll about this, but somwhow i can't find the "start poll"-button:

What setting do you guys use for "Control Attack Direction"?

1.- By Mouse Movement
2.- By Movement Keys
3.- By Relative Enemy Position
4.- By Inverse Mouse Movement

Note that neither of these setting change the overall difficulty setting, they are measured as equal.

1. Mouse Movement.

Sure, you guys are so bored, you wanna self-impose limits? Then try this:

*You can play with only one hand, the SAME hand for keyboard and mouse. It's the resident evil mode x2.
*You're not allowed to block...ever.
*No prisoners ever...and all unique spawn captured must be killed.
*You may raise any skills, but you may NEVER raise any of your attributes.
*1 lord-kingdom, your faction may have no lords other than yourself.

My king just doesn't like me , kinda obvious.

Lets face it I'm a very honorable knight with 30+ honor , Single handedly carrying Ulric/Sarleon on my back destroying in every single war , Captured 5 castles ALONE WITH NO SUPPORT yet this little Ulric prick decides not to give me a single castle saying I'm not worthy. How about a big go F yourself?

I also have 15-17 relations with him...

sumusiko said:
My king just doesn't like me , kinda obvious.

Lets face it I'm a very honorable knight with 30+ honor , Single handedly carrying Ulric/Sarleon on my back destroying in every single war , Captured 5 castles ALONE WITH NO SUPPORT yet this little Ulric prick decides not to give me a single castle saying I'm not worthy. How about a big go F yourself?

I also have 15-17 relations with him...

I have this problem all the time in PoP.  I single handedly capture castles and towns. Have 50+ relation with King, ~900 renown everyone always tells me that I've been rewarded appropriately based on my accomplishments as I sit here with my single village.

You need to be friends with the Lords of your faction and when a fief gets captured by your alliance ask who do they think should receive it. You can get fiefs that way out of nowhere if you convince multiple Lords to support you.

The King decides based on the opinion of his Lords so try to built up relations with everyone.

shoshuro said:
You need to be friends with the Lords of your faction and when a fief gets captured by your alliance ask who do they think should receive it. You can get fiefs that way out of nowhere if you convince multiple Lords to support you.

The King decides based on the opinion of his Lords so try to built up relations with everyone.
Also, you can up your "faction reputation" by defeating enemy lords...loads of them. Just capturing fiefs often doesn't cut it.
Probably not the case now, but you usually need to be aware of controversy as well.

Back
Top Bottom