to much micromanagement

Users who are viewing this thread

ReKeny

Recruit
I really like this game and this mod but there is one thing what I really hate in this game.

Everytime when i wanna bring my weak troops like merchants, scouts down the trooptree so that they dont get involved in the battle i have to klick million times... because i have 100 different types of units.

I already began the game with the floris troop tree and wont begin a new game only because of this reason. there needs to be a trick where i can simply can make squads.

for example: I make a squad with 10 nord Infanterie and a few Archers who come as first troops. Then i bring up some cavalry squads who have mounted archers and lancer ans so on. and troops like merchant should never enter the battlefield.

That would be really helpfull.

Also managing my guys in the towns is pretty hard for me cuz i always have to search for the troop im searching.

I already began to simply only recruit only a few types of units but I cant simply let al the Tier 5 guys stay out of my army after i recued them from the prison of a city or castle.

also they dont die. Most of the time they get injured chz i have surgere at 10.

pls guys i need help.

PS: sry for my bad english but im from ger ^^

Hmm yeah I agree. But there are ways around it, and I don't really micromanage too much. At least it doesn't feel like the same level of micromanagement that you do in an RTS or anything. And I'm pretty bad at RTS games lol.

Here's how I do it, which is something you can try.

Tip #1: Only recruit troops from one faction and maybe mercenaries. This will leave you with a fairly clean list of troops in your party and garrison windows.

Tip #2: Keep your party congruent. I use the groupings as squads, and I keep each squad congruent. Here's what they usually look like even in other mods:
1: Spear/General Infantry
2: Archers (Bows if any. Crossbows if I'm playing Rhodoks.)
3: General Cavalry (Usually Heavy Cavalry.)
4: Shield/Heavy Infantry
5: Archers (If I have crossbows AND bows in the same army, this is for Crossbows.)
6: Lancers/Heavy Cavalry
7: Reserve Infantry (Usually flankers, 2h swordsmen, etc. I position them to the enemy's right or left flank at the start of the battle while my main force slowly closes with the enemy. When the two main forces clash, I order the reserves to charge as well.)
8: Archers (2nd Crossbow or 3rd Archer Unit. This way I can have multiple waves of volley fire.)
9: Reserve Cavalry (Similar to Reserve Infantry.)
Let's use the Sarranids as an example. Using this technique, my army usually looks like this:
Group 1
15 I4 Sarranid Al-Haqa

Group 2
10 A6 Sarranid Silahatar
25 A4 Sarranid Terkes Serdengecti

Group 3
10 C6 Sarranid Beylik/Sekban
10 C6 Sarranid Kapikula/Qilich Arslan

Group 7
20 I5 Sarranid Yeniceri
20 A4 Sarranid Tabardariyya

With this army and the right formations I can easily crush most enemies or win at any siege.

Tip #3: If you already have Surgery level 10, that means you're high enough level to survive without the stat units like Surgeons and Merchants. Instead of them, use companions and give the companions the skills needed. You can actually achieve Surgery 14 even without Surgeons in your army.

Tip #4: If you rescued high level troops and don't want to waste them, put them in a garrison or a patrol instead of your main army, or give them to a friendly lord to improve your relation with that lord.

Tip #5: Use a small, powerful army instead of a big army full of weaklings. In Floris, you can actually conquer all of Calradia with an army as small as 80 tier 5+ troops, especially if you're careful. Actually you might need even less than that but 80 is a fairly safe number in case you accidentally stumble upon the enemy's main war parties under the marshal. I've survived field combat with my 80 troops against 1500. I took a lot of casualties but killing 1500 with only 80 men really messed up my enemies. I sometimes alternately use 120 tier 4-5 troops because it's more interesting I think. It's a little harder and it requires more tactical ability.

Tip #6: Play as a commander. I personally fight sometimes but I usually spend most of my time on my horse directing my troops on where to go and what formations to use. With a small army of 80-120 men positioning and timing are very important if you want to survive a long campaign. Sure you can win battles against 400+ troops in the field easily, but if you keep taking casualties, even if they don't usually die because of Surgery 10+, your wounded will pile up and you may be attacked again while most of your men are still wounded. Proper tactics allows you to minimize your casualties. I can take some towns (depending on the town structure--some are harder than others) by myself with the proper formations.

I usually bring up every archer on a hill and let the infantery defend them.
As Infantery i use Nords and khergit bow mans as Archers.

But i dont know how i can makes groups because my battlesizer is at maximum (150) so every side should get 75 Troops. But i never have the feeling that they really are so many. one day i got atacked on a enchanted siege position and always had to face 50 enemys 10 waves (500 enemys)

So even if i have 50 guys on my position and making groups those will take casulties. Will the next coming wave of my men also come with 50 Troops? And what i have to do dont let the useless troops never enter the battlefield?

It takes me forever to bring those guys who are useless on the battlefield down the troops.
And the enemy is always to fast for me to react. I only can say: bring the archers up and the infantery down, and boom the whole khergit army already reached my position.

and you have

Try using this.

I play with a battle size of 450, which means about 225 men per side (depending on Battle Advantage differences of course). It makes large scale combat and tactics more important and you can really use those squads for specialized jobs.

- edit: Oh just a note. Most people can't play with a battle size bigger than 500. My limit is 450. The game gets very laggy after 450 for me. Some people can only handle 300. It's because of how many scripts are happening during combat. Faster processors might help but apparently not much. My processor is pretty fast (FX6100 6-cores @ 3.2GHz) and I can only go up to 450 like I said.

In other mods though that don't have as many scripts I can go up to 1000. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom