OSP Musket Era 3D Art Single Hussar Wing

Do you prefer historical accurate short wing over fantasy huge wings?

• Yes i prefer shorter wing.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No biger wings at the back are better.

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Yo, I think both the saddle and dual armour mounted versions look very nice but I think I am leaning towards a single wing on the saddle. Though they do not necessarily have to be short.

What i like most about M&B is how realistic you can make it.Feeling of real battel.Huge wings on the back of the armor are simple myth.It was first made by the Kossak family of painters.Now i'm polish and i understand that durning XVIII and XIX century we needed morale boost,so they gave our greatest soldiers angelic wings and used them as symbol of our country.But when it comes to real hussar they didin't use wings at all or they used those short ones.You can see it on this painting of Boguszowicz
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Kłuszyn_1610.JPG.
He lived in the era of hussars so thats as close as we get to how they look like.

So giving polish hussars those huge back wings is like giving nord a 30kg heavy battle axe from anime or using a longbow(or war bow in M&B) from horseback.I prefer the real thing,but i understand when someone prefers great wings on the back.They do look bloody cool :cool:.

Wing indeed looks more historically accurate that way. It is pretty ridiculous to think that they equipped winged hussars as light as possible and then slapped heavy and unwieldy wings on whole thing :grin:
Those curved monsters so many images show actually were used, but only really late, when hussar was more of a "parade troop" that haven't even seen battlefield.
But I disagree on using longbow while mounted, which wasn't itself impossible and is depicted, but definitely wasn't using whole potential of said bow.

Thanks man i didn't see those  :oops:.Now you and Turk can go play giant swadian field surgeon :lol:.

Nice work.

But please stop with the old argue about hussars wings. Why are you insist that all hussars had to look the same. There is as many sources describing wing mounted to horse saddles, as the ones describing wings mounted to hussar back.
My favorite:
„Bardzo to świetne, ale trudno się nie roześmiać na widok długich skrzydeł przymocowanych do ich pleców, od których, jak sądzą, także konie nieprzyjacielskie się płoszą i do ucieczki rzucają”, Charles Ogier 1635

Wings were just decoration, there wasn't single rule how they should look or how they should be used.
All weapon, armor and horse requirements were well described, but decorations depended only on towarzysz wealth and imagination.

I honestly don't understand the reason people searching for one universal hussar look, there simply wasn't one, it's just wrong time period.

Waldzios said:
I honestly don't understand the reason people searching for one universal hussar look, there simply wasn't one, it's just wrong time period.
Because badass:cool:
Do you really need to ask?  :lol:
mount-and-blade-with-fire-and-sword-wallpaper.jpg

Hmm i haven't read this Ogier dude Waldzios but most historic resources show husaria with one wing or none(przypuszczam żeś rodak Waldzios więc polecam książki Sikory i ten artykuł http://ioh.pl/artykuly/pokaz/legenda-skrzydlatych-husarzy--historia-fakty-i-mity,1055/).I don't wish to be an ass , liked i said husaria is cool however you look at them.Simple put huge wings are for me like horned viking helmets.Looks great but more of a myth ,not a fact.Husarz like this looks badass enough for me
http://www.historycznebitwy.info/obrazki/bitwy/duze/kluszyn1610ne/husarz_01.php

I especially like the the armor.In polish its zbroja folgowa in english i think it's called lobster armor.

Wilk22 said:
Looks great but more of a myth ,not a fact.
Sure, if you prefer some biased one-sided articles over historic sources then you are free to believe whatever you want.

"vornemblichen aber der jenigen über 2000 von adel wurdig zu sehen deren jeder mit zweien adlerfligeln befliegelt"
"ale przede wszystkim ci z ponad 2000 ze szlachty zwracali na siebie uwagę, spośród których każdy uskrzydlony był dwoma orlimi skrzydłami" (Bernard Brulig, 1683)

The point of wings, feathers, animal skins and other decorations was to make hussars look bigger and more impressive:

"Acz to za hetmańską wolą i baczeniem przychodzi, iż czasem trzeba hufy zdobić, rozciągnąć, OPIERZYĆ, aby z małego stał się większy" Stanisław Łaski 1544-1545

"W czasie wojny używają [Polacy] wszystkich sposobów aby się zdawało, że ich jest więcej niżeli w istocie, a dla przestraszenia nieprzyjaciela ubierają konie w pióra, przypinają sobie skrzydła orle, a na barkach zawieszają skóry lamparcie i niedźwiedzie" Hieronim Lippomano 1575

Sorry, but the single small wing (pretty common around Tatars, and all polish cavalry) was far from impressive, and unable to do described job.

What most people got wrong, is assuming all hussars must have look the same, like some plastic models or children toys. It was bunch of individualists, mostly quite rich, very proud of elite status, and without any regulations or limit for decorations. I can hardly believe they all used one kind of wings, especially ones that half of tatar scouts in army already used.
Wilk22 said:
Simple put huge wings are for me like horned viking helmets.
Simple put, hussars using only small tatar-like wings, are for me like vikings using only axes.

I do not think that Wilk necessarily believes that ONLY his version was used. His main issue is with the big ones on the back that are always used in media despite apparently being mostly fictional. His version does seem to be historically accurate but I am sure that he understands that not every wing or other decoration had one uniformal look.

Hmph ok just to be precise Waldzios my resources are not only one article on the net.I propose Radosław Sikora books , for polsih readers there is nice post on forum of historycy.org , also here are hussars from rulon polski first known visage of husaria
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Great_Chorąży_of_the_Polish_Crown.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Rolka_Sztokholmska_2.jpg
there are many others paintings of the era like those of Szymon Boguszowicz ,so i made my research.The thing is you are right in saying that thay may have use big wings in later era when they were more of a parade troop.I prefer short wing but it's me i like it on my early era hussar.If someone  likes big wings great too.Honestly i only hope that people will use this wing and some will like it.Thats it.

Hmph, OK, just to be precise the historian and book author is named Radosław Sikora :mrgreen:. I happen to know his books very well, and he gives plenty of examples of big decorative wings in sources.

If prefer paintings over written sources, Martino Altomonte "Battle of Parkany" and "Battle of Vienna" both show few hussars with one or two wings on the back.
Altomonte_Battle_of_Parkany.jpg

Altomonte_Battle_of_Vienna.jpg

It's not about liking big wings, it's about bunch of historic sources describing hussar wings as decoration, something that make hussar look bigger and scarier. Please tell me how small wings, hardly visible from front side, could achieve this.

Honestly, if ottoman delis from Vienna looked like that:
deli.jpg
how any hussar with single small wing (hidden behind his back) could be impressive to anyone.

Again, I like your wings, and probably will use very similar ones in my mod (aside of few other wings variants). Sorry, if you understand it different way. I just hate your statement, about them being only one historic accurate and correct.

My mistake i was writing in work so its justified.Now at home i looked through entire ''Z dziejów Husarie'' and i do owe you an apology , on page 13 he points out that big wings were used by pocztowy but on page 56 he said that most huge wings were added to armor in XIX century and that stucked in my mind.So they were used late in history of husaria.That being said i will say this once again ,my image of husaria is from rolka sztokholmska and paintings of Szymon Boguszowicz where they have none wing or one short.So once again i like the look of one short wing.Can we end this like this(that :oops: :smile:)?

Wilk22 said:
By the way is there some osp with plate cuirass on long mail?Something like this
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RLOFk5_BqBM/UUuR8YHWgLI/AAAAAAAAC-Y/gjhGygbgse0/s1600/ussarz++copia+zbroja.jpg
I didn't found nothing like this on this forum so if there is one thanks for help.
I do not know about any OSP but after a quick look in OpenBRF, I am absolutely certain that you can create an item similar to that by mixing two different armours from With Fire and Sword. For example, take a cuirass from a swedish armour and put it on a tartar chainmail armour.

For Warband though I am not so sure. Obviously there are infinite amount of chainmail armours there but finding a cuirass may be tougher. Finding a cuirass that does not need retexturing may even be impossible.

Back
Top Bottom