Question about shieldbattles

Users who are viewing this thread

romandude

Grandmaster Knight
So I've looked at the threads for the two shieldbattles that still seem to be running but both threads explain this rather poorly in my opinion.

Do clans ever fight as their own unit? From what I gathered people simply show up at shieldbattles and get assigned into units (everyone is a pubber). But aren't there events where clans fight as their own unit under their leader? It seems to defeat the purpose of having a clan if you don't.

SWE - Shieldwall Event = No clan hosts.

Historical Events - Not Shieldwall Event = Clan hosts.

The SWE did explain this, but I thought it got rather obvious so took it off.

Alright. Well maybe that should be added again because it was certainly very confusing for me.

How often are historical events held?

Odyseuss said:
Alright. Well maybe that should be added again because it was certainly very confusing for me.

Historical events occur when people can be arsed to research and organise them - they used to be every few months, but there hasn't been one for like a year.

Hugh Higgins said:
Odyseuss said:

Historical events occur when people can be arsed to research and organise them - they used to be every few months, but there hasn't been one for like a year.

"Like a year"...
Guess this never happened then?

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Hugh Higgins said:
Odyseuss said:

"Like a year"...

It's called an "over-exaggerating".

Hugh Higgins said:
Leifr Eiríksson said:
Hugh Higgins said:
Odyseuss said:

"Like a year"...

It's called an "over-exaggerating".

And it says much for oneself.

It is worth noting that, for as long as I've been in the loop of these things, no one has ever come forward to pitch an event idea to us. People have generally been receptive when approached by us, but that's all. I wonder if most players are aware that ANYONE can organize an official event, provided certain standards are met, or whether they're intimidated because they don't know what it entails and where to start? In the latter case, some kind of guide to organizing events would be useful, but then again, would anyone make use of it?

We could do Maldon, Eirikr. I've already been (MERELY) asked to do the next historical battle for which I said I'll think about it. If that person who asked me could remind me of which battle he wanted? If not, Maldon could be good.

I was more poking at Hrotha. I once had a fancy thread set out and ready for Maldon but eh, it was deleted and forgotten about.
It was a pipe-dream.  :cool:

UNTIL NOW...

EDIT: It has been abandoned as many times as I have come and gone in Víkingr.

I see no reason why we can't do it together Eirikr? The only large hurdle is perhaps the map, as I understand it it'll be rather (for want of a better word) complicated map?

The problem with Maldon is figuring out how to represent the battle as depicted in the poem. It could start with the Norðmenn having already crossed the Panta/Blackwater river, but that would largely take away what makes Maldon special. And if the Norðmenn start on their little island, it could either play out nothing like Maldon if whoever plays Byrhtnoþ doesn't grant them passage, or become a kinda forced and bland roleplaying affair if he does, as it would be a roundabout way to have the first scenario (i.e. with the Norðmenn having crossed). It'd be difficult to pull off, but with the right idea to implement it, it could be awesome.

hrotha said:
...but that would largely take away what makes Maldon special. And if ze Norðmenn start on their little island, it could either play out nothing like Maldon if whoever plays Byrhtnoþ doesn't grant them passage, or become a kinda forced and bland roleplaying affair if he does, as it would be a roundabout way to have ze first scenario (i.e. with ze Norðmenn having crossed). It'd be difficult to pull off, but with ze right idea to implement it, it could be awesome.

I catch your drift. But a battle is just that: an affair where people fight and one side wins (or no side wins). In Vikingr, ze sides should at least be equal at ze start to keep it fun and fair. However fantastic fighting historical battles is, you cannot do it with hindsight. If we want to have more background and 'poetry', then we need to do it in another way. Artwork, exchanging stories, roleplays on beforehand, like Þeodloga. Maybe some preliminary battles or random Hildileikr skirmishes that are tailored for ze upcoming event.

But a pitched battle is just that - a pitched battle. Reenacting Maldon would be awesome, but no more than any of ze previous events. It would, as you say, Hróða, be bereft of what makes Maldon special.

Besides, if ze English won, it wouldn't be special at all. And I want to kick Danish asses.

EDIT: a bit like the Vikingr Grand Campaign, in the Meadhall thread...

Back
Top Bottom