Propaganda? Are we all just Brain-washed Proles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Anthropoid

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Mage246 said:
rejenorst said:
Cheers man. I am glad I am not the only one who is willing to look critically at our side of the media as I was expecting to get flamed for that last post lol :smile:

You posted mostly about Voice of America. Everyone knows that Voice of America is a mouthpiece of the US government. That is its official role. Everyone also knows why it exists - to enable the US government to introduce its viewpoint to foreign audiences who might not otherwise have the option to hear it.

Your bit about the Iraq War fails to establish any scenario in which either the press reported something because the government made it report something or that the press did not contradict something that the government was saying that it knew was wrong.

Does the government have a viewpoint, does it advocate for that viewpoint, and does it give preferential treatment to those who either share those viewpoint or are uncritical of it? Yes. No ****. 100% of the human population of the planet is engaged in the same process when it comes to their own personal viewpoint. The same is true of organizations and government. That is not interference with the press. There is no requirement stating that the press should have any and all access that they want. No one said being a reporter was supposed to be easy.

The only important questions for determining government interference are:

1) does the government suppress critical opinions? No.
2) does the government require that the press parrot its viewpoint? No.
3) does the government engage in systematic falsification of data (as in, as general policy) to prevent the press from discovering the truth? No.

Everything else is up to the press to figure out and for the viewer to decide on.

I think you are drawing a bit of an artificial line there Mage, though since this is getting a bit off topic maybe we should start a new thread . . .  Propaganda? Are we all just Brain-washed Proles?

Even without direct government "intervention" there are myriad subtle ways to interfere in freedom of the press. Couple cases in point.

1. Sheryl Attkisson resigned from CBS. Evidently she was one of (if not the only) journalist there who really wanted to dig on the Benghazi story more (which to me was a feeble right-wing attempt to make a mountain out of a mole-hill, but nonetheless . . .)
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/03/sharyl-attkisson-to-leave-cbs-news-184836.html

Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS News

Close By DYLAN BYERS | 3/10/14 2:36 PM EDT
CBS News investigative correspondent Sharyl Attkisson has reached an agreement to resign from CBS News ahead of contract, bringing an end to months of hard-fought negotiations, sources familiar with her departure told POLITICO on Monday.

Attkisson, who has been with CBS News for two decades, had grown frustrated with what she saw as the network's liberal bias, an outsized influence by the network's corporate partners and a lack of dedication to investigative reporting, several sources said. She increasingly felt like her work was no longer supported and that it was a struggle to get her reporting on air.

At the same time, Attkisson's own reporting on the Obama administration, which some staffers characterized as agenda-driven, had led network executives to doubt the impartiality of her reporting. She is currently at work on a book -- tentatively titled "Stonewalled: One Reporter's Fight for Truth in Obama's Washington" -- which addresses the challenges of reporting critically on the Obama administration.

(WATCH: POLITICO interviews Sharyl Attkisson)

Feeling increasingly stymied and marginalized at the network, Attkisson began talking to CBS News President David Rhodes as early as last April about getting out of her contract. Those negotiations intensified in recent weeks, and her request was finally honored on Monday.

Reached by phone, Attkisson described her resignation as "amicable." She said she will now turn her attention to the book, which is being published by HarperCollins, a division of NewsCorp (and not by Simon & Schuster, a division of CBS Corporation.)

Sonya McNair, the senior vice president for communications for CBS News, said in a statement: “CBS News veteran Sharyl Attkisson is leaving the news division to pursue other endeavors. We appreciate her many contributions and we wish her well.”

(Earlier on POLITICO: The Attkisson approach)

But Attkisson had become a polarizing figure at the network, sources there said. While some championed her relentless dedication to investigations -- ranging from defective Firestone Tires to the Fast and Furious gunwalking scandal -- others saw evidence of a political agenda, particularly against President Obama. (The bulk of Attkisson’s work since 2009 has focused on the failures or perceived failures of the Obama administration, including the administration’s failed green energy investments and the attack in Benghazi, though she has reported on several Republican failures as well.)

Others have suggested that CBS News itself was politically biased: "It's no secret that Sharyl has been unhappy about CBS's lack of interest in investigative reporting, especially when it comes to stories about the Obama administration," a source close to Attkisson said.

(50 POLITICOs to watch: Sharyl Attkisson)

Attkisson's frustrations aside, the network maintains a dedicated investigative unit, which produces packages that appear across CBS News programming.

Attkisson joined CBS News from CNN in 1993. She served as an overnight anchor for two years before becoming a Washington-based correspondent, a position she held until this week. She has won five Emmy awards for her reporting on Fast and Furious, the Red Cross, Republican fundraising, TARP and border patrol.

An earlier version of this post said Attkisson has won two Emmy awards. She has won five.

2. Networks devote 100 more coverage to plug Obama's "between two ferns" fake interview than they do to the actual problem

Nets Spend 100x Times More Coverage on Plugging Obama Joke Interview Than Low Enrollment!

This week, anchors and reporters practically fell over themselves laughing at Barack Obama’s Funny or Die collaboration with comedian Zach Galifianikis as they hailed the ObamaCare promotional video was “great” and urged viewers “you gotta check it out!”

The Big Three (ABC, CBS, NBC) networks devoted a total of 16 and a half minutes to the fake interview, but the reason Obama had to do the video? The horrible ObamaCare enrollment numbers, particularly among millenials? How much time did that get?  [Video after the jump]

Just a measly 10 seconds on the Big Three evening and morning shows. . . .

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffrey-dickens/2014/03/13/nets-spend-100-times-more-coverage-plugging-obama-joke-interview-l#ixzz2w3GkTqX4

Now both of these deal with "liberal media bias," which is of course prime rhetoric for the right. But I'm quite confident that we could easily find equivalent issues of imbalance in coverage and consideration from right-leaning media.

You don't have to say anything to be biased. In fact, not saying anything might reflect bias.

. . . anyway, maybe this can be a fun thread for us to discourse through  :razz:

I pretty much like Al-Jazeera whenever they are not reporting about the middle east political policies. I know they have to be on their toes when it comes to said topic, but that just means they are a horrible source of news when it comes to middle eastern news that's not "guy explodes in central market, 20 people and 2 donkeys dead."

I absolutely, 100% read the OP title as "Are we all just Brain-washed Poles?". Which, when you think about it, is a good question.

Mage246 said:
You posted mostly about Voice of America. Everyone knows that Voice of America is a mouthpiece of the US government. That is its official role. Everyone also knows why it exists - to enable the US government to introduce its viewpoint to foreign audiences who might not otherwise have the option to hear it.

Yep. Doesn't change the fact that its propaganda.

Your bit about the Iraq War fails to establish any scenario in which either the press reported something because the government made it report something or that the press did not contradict something that the government was saying that it knew was wrong.

Did you even read my post? At no point in time did I argue that the press was forced. Attempting to narrowly define propaganda in terms of forcing the press to do something is idiotic and ignores the possibility that the press can be manipulated/coerced through incentives, ownership interests and minor consequences that affect its ratings as was pointed out in Pilger's the war you don't see.

Does the government have a viewpoint, does it advocate for that viewpoint, and does it give preferential treatment to those who either share those viewpoint or are uncritical of it? Yes. No ****. 100% of the human population of the planet is engaged in the same process when it comes to their own personal viewpoint.

Well thank **** we're on the same wavelength here.

The same is true of organizations and government. That is not interference with the press. There is no requirement stating that the press should have any and all access that they want. No one said being a reporter was supposed to be easy.

And what does that have to do with my point? I didn't specifically say it interferes with the news (at least not in this instance) I just posted my opinion that the media doesn't do enough to avoid parroting the government's line and tends to avoid questioning the government during war time due to x,y,z reasons.

3) does the government engage in systematic falsification of data (as in, as general policy) to prevent the press from discovering the truth? No.

Everything else is up to the press to figure out and for the viewer to decide on.

These points have no relevance to the original point I was making and do not matter to me and are not required for propaganda. The point I was making is that in my opinion its not a far stretch for the government to use video games as propaganda. I did not state it as a certainty but as usual you go nuts as soon as someone mentions something that might be negative towards the US.

I've already used several sources to demonstrate my opinion with CNN going as far as to say that the US Army has admitted that America's Army [The game] is a  propaganda tool. In any case you've agreed with me that every government is engaged in propaganda.  So case closed.

In terms of government interference I'll make a separate post below since you got me way off topic by trying to assassinate my character which got us into he discussion on media interference :razz:

Mage246 said:

Since your bringing up these points I view them as separate to our initial discussion. My opinion on it is that any certainty on the above 3 points as a 'no' is bull****. You can say unlikely but I wouldn't go as far as an outright no.

1)
The United States’ new press freedom ranking comes on the heels of a new and dangerous campaign against Glenn Greenwald and other journalists who have reported on the documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

In recent weeks, high-ranking members of the intelligence community and members of Congress have called NSA journalists “accomplices” to Snowden’s leaks, and accused them of trafficking in stolen goods. And as Trevor Timm of the Freedom of the Press Foundation points out, these comments are only the most recent in a long line of attacks.

In 2012, after a series of high-profile journalist arrests at Occupy protests, the United States dropped 27 places in Reporters Without Borders’ World Press Freedom Index, landing in 47th place. The following year saw some progress as the U.S. climbed back up to 33rd place, but the last year has erased those gains.

http://www.freepress.net/blog/2014/02/11/us-plummets-global-press-freedom-rankings
http://en.rsf.org/united-states.html

Currently the US is ranked 46th on the press freedom index, right under Romania.
http://rsf.org/index2014/en-index2014.php

2) As for point 2 I've already stated my opinion on that:

rejenorst said:
How so? I find that the media parrots the bull**** that the government feeds it and in many cases takes a bias stance when reporting on our dirty laundry vs the enemy's and neglects its 'fair and balanced' reporting obligations to the public with either no interest in questioning the government's official account or omitting our dirty laundry in wartime possibly due to the risk of loosing certain perks such as potential rating-boosting embedding privileges with US forces in wartime as mentioned in John Pilger's 'The War you don't see'. 
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/war-you-dont-see/

Which is corroborated by University materials that during wartime the media is just dumb as ****:

With a little research, they could have exposed them as falsehoods. Of course, war always produces propaganda, but in both these wars the lack of questioning of official pronouncements by the news media was astounding. There was little media dissent from the interpretive framework provided by the government (Entman and Page 1994). The presentation of sanitized images was prevalent, whilst reporters were fed a plethora of spin terms and techno-specific images. Weapons and technology became the heroes and their consequences forgotten. As reporters were not allowed anywhere near any fighting, the media concentrated on ‘sexy’ weapons. Despite around the clock media coverage, it still lacked substance and came entirely from the perspective of the military that controlled both the content and the context. The media corporations, mostly CNN in this case, seemed complicit in this management of public perception by the authorities. The BBC took on its government’s view entirely and even went to the ridiculous lengths of banning the playing of songs such as Killing Me Softly with your Song, Everyone Wants to Rule the World , and We Can Work It Out (Taylor 1992, p.24). Such actions do not indicate a free and fair press but one which was conscious of ensuring continued support for the war, or at least, not wanting to assist in producing antagonism to the official government line. Of course, in war the news media is partially a tool of government but it is problematic whether the media should be totally compliant and by doing so hide the implications of government policy.
http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1027&context=isw

The problem I see here is that most US citizens would not like to hear hard questions during war time when solidarity is expected. Your probably living proof that some Americans don't even want to hear it in peace time. It affects the ratings and thus the incentives for asking hard questions that get neigh insulting to the government are next to non existent.

3)
I won't even bother arguing about this with you because its become pretty clear that you won't accept anything short of a hand written confession from the President based on our previous arguments. The University sources I have state that falsification was present during the second Iraq war so I am not pulling my opinion out of my ass:

In regards to both Gulf Wars:
Perhaps the most fundamental danger to the ethical coverage of state violence is the progressive use by governments of influence campaigns prevalent in both these wars. The strategy of denial (the blocking of information to withhold the truth) and deception (an attempt to make someone believe something is not true) is becoming a favoured practice by governments (Godson and Wirtz 2002). These practices have developed in sophistication, and need equally clever journalists and media owners to counter them. In the two wars discussed, denial was almost complete in 1991 and so was deception in 2003 (with the complicity of media owners). The ethical responsibilities of the media were shunned and evaded in both wars.
http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1027&context=isw

I prefer BBC when they're not talking about the UK, Al Jazeera when they're not talking about Islam, and Vice for everything else, even though they can be a bit slanted. I like The Economist, but more for their analysis of events after they've happened.

DoctorPainkiller said:
I prefer BBC when they're not talking about the UK, Al Jazeera when they're not talking about Islam, and Vice for everything else, even though they can be a bit slanted. I like The Economist, but more for their analysis of events after they've happened.

Economist has a wee bit of a right bias, but they're alright. I prefer Time personally.

I watch Vice, Bill Maher, and the Daily Show/Colbert Report. I suppose 3/4 of those aren't actual 'news' shows, but oh well, that's how I get my info. :razz: Also random stuff online from googling whatever interests me, I try to use BBC or the Economist when they appear.

Yeah, the HBO show is great. Haven't seen any of the written articles though. :???:

I was going to call you out on that but ...

wS5r2.png

Guys, the greatest news channel is obviously MSNBC!  :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I tend to watch 3-5 different news channels, and price together the truth. Taleworlds forums here is also a good source for news.

Back
Top Bottom