Warbanner Battle: A Native compatible game type, designed for clanwars

Users who are viewing this thread

Rend

Knight at Arms
mg0u.jpg

2yowsg3.png

Server-side mod made by Gubbo and Krogan.

Native compatible

No install needed
Just enter the Warbanner_battle server and start playing.

No more waiting for flags

No more random flagspawns
The two flagpoles are active from the start of every round.
They are always in the same strategically choosen spots.

Carry your team's banner
Pick up your banner at spawn and carry it to one of the flagpoles on the map.
If you raise your banner to the top, your team wins the round.

Burn the enemy banner

There is a danger with being too reckless with the flag.
Die while holding your banner and an enemy could pick it up, burn it and win the round.

By torch or brazier
To burn the enemy banner, put it in a burning brazier, or use one of the torches found around it.
It takes longer to burn the banner with a torch, but torches can be picked up and carried in your hand.

Made for Clan Wars

We feel that native battle mode isn't really designed for competetive clan wars.
There is too much to gain by playing passively, since there are no real objectives from the start of a round.
Too often you end up just waiting for the flags to spawn.
Too often a lucky flagspawn decides which team has the advantage.

Non stop action

The goal with Warbanner mode
We wanted a game type that would provide incentives for an active play style, every second of a match.
You still have to be well measured in your movements however, since if you loose your banner, the enemy might burn it.

Map Control
We have tried to place the flagpoles at strategic positions, so that map control will be key to success.
It will be vital to control the environment around a flagpole if you want to be able to raise your banner to the top.
Cav movment speed is limited while carrying a flag, so foot soldiers will be important for moving the banners.

Drop banner
Punch from the right side with your fist

Hide banner from your view
Punch from the left side with your fist
(This will not hide the banner from other players. It's only designed to not block your view while fighting)

Burn banner in brazier
Strike the brazier with your weapon to put the enemy flag in the fire. Takes 5sec to burn

Save banner from brazier
Strike the brazier with your weapon to pick up the flag

Burn banner with torch
Keep a torch in your hand while carrying the enemy banner. It takes 10sec to burn

Take down own banner from flagpole
Do an uppercut with your fist
Website
A website about the mod can be found at http://warbanner.co.nf/
It's the first website we ever made and neither of us has been gifted with much artistic talent, so bear with us.
It may not be the prettiest thing you have laid eyes upon, but it explains the mechanics and rules in more detail.

Maps
We have used a mix of original Native maps and custom made maps from the ENL admin mod.
All maps have been modified slightly to fit the Warbanner battle game type.
All credits go to the original creators of the maps.

The server
The mod has been ported to 1.158 and the Warbanner_battle server is up and running again.
The server has moved address however, so those who had the old one in favourites will need to find it again in the public server list.
The server is a Jestserver, located in Rotterdam, Netherlands. It has 32 player slots and a dedicated processor core, so performance should be good.

WARBANNER    SHOWMATCH

FOOLOCRACY OF FEDNER &
BATTLE READY ORPHANS

z607uh4.png

VS

Time and date: tuesday 21/4 at 20.00 BST
Server: Warbanner_battle
Coverage: Live stream by Captain Lust on MB_tv

[size=12pt]Ruins: Vaegir vs Swadia
ENMWcmM.png

Village: Nords vs Sarranid

Wm1T0it.png
[td]

THE CASTELLANS

149bgwy.jpg
[/td]

Thanks Lust, that means alot! :smile:
Yes, we have plans to get a bunch of friends together and play some test-matches in the mod.
If there is a clan or another group of friends who would like to try it out, send a PM to me and we'll see what we can organise.

You drop the flag by sheathing your weapon and throwing a punch from the right side with your fist.
You can also remove the flag from your line of sight by throwing a punch from the left side with your fist. You still have the flag when you do this though and other players can still see it above your head. This is just so it won't block your view when fighting.
For more info about the mechanics of the mod check the Rules tab on the Warbanner website.

The troll trio above were great beta testers back in the day when we played in Foolocracy of Fedner and were developing the first version of the mod. Couldn't have asked for a better bunch of guys to find glitches and ways to abuse the mechanics we had put in!  :cool:

I remember when we called it "King mod" and instead of flags on your back, the King would wear a crown on his head that he could pick up from a chest at spawn. If the king died, the chest dropped and another player could take the crown by hitting the chest. Krogan and I felt the system worked well and brought the FF guys in to test. Didn't take long until they had found a way to use the chest as a flying saucer to fly around the map!  :lol:

Golradir said:
such a hipster klockish.  :evil:

I wanted to try this out, but forgot. :sad: I'll probably hop on this in the coming week, looks fun

Cool Golradir, the server is up 24/7, so just pop in anytime you like! :smile:

Minor changes and bug-fixes:
  • Fixed a bug where a rider wouldn't get horse speed factor reset after placing the banner in the fire.
  • Made it so you no longer can place the enemy banner in the fire using ranged weapons.

I'm testing it now (alone :sad:) and it seems cool but I think it might kind of need to be a mod... or perhaps you could have an optional mod that tells you:

-where your own flag is at all times
-where the empty flag positions are
-when the enemy lag is placed, where it is

I also dropped the flag and it disappeared. I don't know if I'm stupid or it's a bug. Maybe both?

Another possible issue is you could have rounds where both teams rush to raise their flag and they never engage... which is stupid for one team but if it's really close then it might be hard to tell. There's nothing which really forces the engagement. Maybe having it so that you have to raise your flag without the opponents' flag being placed would be better than a race to the top.

Thanks for coming Lust, was nice meeting you! :smile:

Yes, it would be possible to implement the standard overlay that you have in normal battle mode, which shows where the flags are, after they've spawned.
But we actually disabled that mechanic on purpose, in order to make scouting the other team's movements and communication in the team more important. We wanted a player to be able to sneak off with a flag unnoticed, if the other team doesn't pay attention.

I don't think it would be needed to show where the empty flagpoles are since they are at the same place every time. When people learn their way around the maps, they will know where to find the flapoles.
What we could do, is to make the overlay that shows the position of the flags appear only when a banner is attached to a flagpole. Then you could still be sneaky with the flag, but if you start raising it, the other team will learn your position.
This would be possible to implement and still keep the mod server side and Native compatible. I think we will keep it as it is for now however and see how it plays before we change anything.
But I really like the constructive criticism!
The mod is not set in stone as it is right now. We still make changes to it and if people have ideas that we think would improve it, we are open to trying them out.

Captain Lust said:
I also dropped the flag and it disappeared. I don't know if I'm stupid or it's a bug. Maybe both?
You probably punched from the wrong side of your body. Punching from the left side makes the flag invisible. You need to punch from the right side in order to drop it.

Captain Lust said:
Another possible issue is you could have rounds where both teams rush to raise their flag and they never engage... which is stupid for one team but if it's really close then it might be hard to tell. There's nothing which really forces the engagement. Maybe having it so that you have to raise your flag without the opponents' flag being placed would be better than a race to the top.

We have tried to design most maps so that one flagpole is faster to reach for both teams than the other flagpole. That way you know that if  the other team starts raising their flag at the closest pole, you will have to start contesting that flag and halt the flag raising progress.
On the other hand, the flagpole that is furthest away is often in a spot that is easier to defend. So a viable tactic might be to send some players to contest the closest flagpole, while some teammates go and claim the other flag position and starts raising the banner there. Also the fact that you can win by burning the enemy banner adds to the equation of possible tactics.
I think the charm of the mod is that there are many different tactics and combinations of tactics that can work. I hope the gameplay will be very dynamic, even though the flag positions are static.

Blivandefar said:
Bra gjort Gubbzter

Tack Blivsky!

I made this 4 months ago for our DNL-team (Order of the Rising Flags)

16680595tj.jpg

:mrgreen:

are we twin brothers separated at birth?  :shock: And why is Yona's head missing on your flagpole?!

Such barbarians spiking heads on your flagpole! You seem to have good flag raising skills tho. You should give the mod a try! :razz:

More updates:
  • Decreased the default number of torches around braziers to two. On maps that only have one burning brazier, there are four torches around it.
  • Minor updates to most maps. Major overhaul of Village.

• You now can't attach your banner to the flagpole when enemies are within the flag raising area. This to prevent rushes to the flagpoles from being a too strong tactic.
  • Mounted players now can raise the flag, hinder the enemy from raising their flag and stop the enemy from attaching their flag to the flagpole.
  • Slightly improved the speed at which horsemen ride with the flag. It's still a little slower than what an infantry player runs, but now at least somewhat functional.

Back
Top Bottom