[EU/NA] Gægningas [Recruiting]

Users who are viewing this thread

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Fancy pants! Very nice.
Got anything I could read up on for this fabled Kingdom of Lindis? Or is it to be treated as a mythology upon which to build?

It's in Brytenwalda, just south of Northumberland.

As for actual books, I didn't find any specifically for it in a quick search but there are papers and plenty of historical references for it, like:
http://www.arthuriana.co.uk/papers/BritishLindsey.pdf and http://www.historyfiles.co.uk/KingListsBritain/EnglandLindsey.htm

And also; http://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:5b6c3700-8972-44a4-831d-442241862a54/datastreams/THESIS14

It's quite real, though not well known as the other Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, mostly due to being a part of Mercia in the latter years.

Druidewijn said:
Gægningas! Hear the horn-blowing and muster your men! We ride out to war and victory against this Dane-scum. Together!

All this enmity towards the Danes makes me uneasy, I was under the impression that this clan would include Anglo-Danish elements. Around 1066, the Normans and the Norse (Norwegians) might be the common enemy rather than the Danes (as seen in the alliance between Edgar Æþeling and Svend Estridsen).

Good luck, Áed/Þéodríc!

Dansk viking said:
Druidewijn said:
Gægningas! Hear the horn-blowing and muster your men! We ride out to war and victory against this Dane-scum. Together!

All this enmity towards the Danes makes me uneasy, I was under the impression that this clan would include Anglo-Danish elements. Around 1066, the Normans and the Norse (Norwegians) might be the common enemy rather than the Danes (as seen in the alliance between Edgar Æþeling and Svend Estridsen).

Good luck, Áed/Þéodríc!

No worries, Þorkell, just a bit of picking at an old foe, the same as we might have done to the Wealas at the time we were actually fighting the Danes! Better we stand together now, against this Frankish menace!

The Anglo-Danes were quick to side with York against the Saxons, though. :razz:

Seriously though, it's true that there wasn't any set-in-stone enmity (although I'd wager Æþelred's shenanigans didn't help bridge the gaps between both communities) and everybody changed allegiances as they saw fit. In 1069, the Normans were the common enemy for Englishmen and Danes alike, but before 1066 relations between the English and the Normans were just peachy, and before that Cnut was a respected king. Things could change quickly, as they do now. Regardless of that, if the Gægningas want to embrace their Anglo-Danish element, they'll have to drop the hate-speech. :grin:

hrotha said:
The Anglo-Danes were quick to side with York against the Saxons, though. :razz:

Seriously though, it's true that there wasn't any set-in-stone enmity (although I'd wager Æþelred's shenanigans didn't help bridge the gaps between both communities) and everybody changed allegiances as they saw fit. In 1069, the Normans were the common enemy for Englishmen and Danes alike, but before 1066 relations between the English and the Normans were just peachy, and before that Cnut was a respected king. Things could change quickly, as they do now. Regardless of that, if the Gægningas want to embrace their Anglo-Danish element, they'll have to drop the hate-speech. :grin:

But ethnic racism is so fun.. D;
And to be honest, I think the majority of the Gægningas and those under them would be Anglo-Saxon. Or Anglo-Norse of whom put their allegiance to us before everything.

Yeah, you'd probably be mostly Anglo-Saxon, but I bet most of you would know someone who is married to a Dane or has a Danish neighbour or buys vegetables from a Dane or something. :razz:

hrotha said:
Yeah, you'd probably be mostly Anglo-Saxon, but I bet most of you would know someone who is married to a Dane or has a Danish neighbour or buys vegetables from a Dane or something. :razz:

VEGETABLES? HERESY!
And fair enough. We're not the EDL. Haha.

Alright Lads, we shall be doing something next week. Perhaps a small get on and play, though I'll be out of the country and very unlikely to attend. I shall leave it to Wulfgár, of whom I've given the correct permissions on the steam group and the names of those currently in the clan.

Most likely a weekend - this or next.

Cheers,

Edit: A weekly event every Saturday - excluding 19th April.
And a one-time Sunday event this weekend. Two chances to get on - because we're so kind. :smile:
Check events on the Steam group.

Anglo-Saxon Names / Early Rus Names

*Wulfgár Ecgbeorhtes sunu / Ostromiru Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.*
Steinn Bláskeggi Gunnarsson /  Rado Torchavichi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Sigefriþ Ecghúnes sunu / Veliko Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Beornwulf Eardwulfes sunu /  Prudiskyi = Pending.
Óswulf Gódwulfes sunu /  Prudiskyi = Pending.
Æþelwulf Léofstánes sunu /  Boislavu Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Walþeof Æþelwulfes sunu / Borilo Prudiskyi  = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Ridda Haralds sunu / Igori Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.
Sigegár Torhtmunds sunu / Bakula Prudiskyi = Maybe.
Ælf Finns sunu / Lyuta Prudiskyi = Can DEFINITELY make it.

You've all promised to attend the Sunday event, if you break this promise, then there will be dire ramifications. If we don't show up with the numbers we promised, next event we won't be allowed to be an independent host.
On Sunday at 6:30 PM British Summer Time (Greenwich Mean Time +1), you shall report to Wulfgar (Ostromiru Prudiskyi) and follow his orders. He'll be leading our host for the event. Thank you.

Additional Information:
Vikingr Teamspeak = 176.9.103.48:9986
Channel (If created) = Pruzhane

Bumpbump

Banner in the making.

Reformation even closer.

Edit: Drawing progress.

10514813_10152191586886466_1277959821_n.jpg

Drawing by my Kinswoman: http://actuallybunny.deviantart.com/

Edit(2):

Finished product - need to get it scanned and put online. Shall be grand.
10520584_10152196499281466_1590197590_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom