Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 5 - Virtual Skeletons

Users who are viewing this thread

Happy Friday to avid readers and passers by. It has been a little while since our last Bannerlord Blog. In this entry we are once more decreasing the number of unblogged rooms in the office by one. Although some animations are made and polished in various parts of the office, many are captured in our very own motion capture studio near the main door of our offices. The animation hub and thus the associated blog room for this episode.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/6

The Bowman said:
The developers are muslim, so we can't really beg for anything special on Easter. Things differ around the word, people.

Of course things differ around the world, but not necessarily every single TW developer is muslim and there are also christians in Turkey.
(“Inspired by historical events and characters, this work of fiction was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs.”  :grin: )

Would have been nice to see some new info on the new game though, it has been so long... :???: (But i'll stop begging for a while now.  :smile: )

I wonder if there would be a way where you can build a relationship with your men and increase their morale and battle prowess because they're fighting for somebody they really like, I really hope they increase the functionality for the morale system because before the enemies would run away when the battle is totally lost...and even then they'd probably come right back, I mean, In real life if a conscript seen a Nord Huscarl (who is probably renown amongst the calradians as the most fiersome and barbaric troops!, the parents probably say "Go to bed or the huscarl will get you!" to the children) charging at him, he'd flee, this isn't his war, he just wants to work at the farm with his family, but he was just recruited from a village and put into a battle he has no interest in with some foreign commander.

Improvements to the morale system would have to be two-fold. You would need more ways to affect it on the campaign map before you have more ways it can affect a battle. If low party morale increased your chances of fleeing in battles in native Warband as it currently is, then I would probably lose at least twice as many battles (so, going from "few and far between" to "once a month or more"). This is because maintaining high morale in large parties for the player is quite difficult. Food variety and charisma/leadership/whatnot only go so far. I've wandered around with 30-50 morale in an army of ~100 top-tier troops that had excellent food variety and had recently won a couple of battles. The morale penalty from party size is huge, but if you want to be effective late-game you need a large party to take settlements. The only way to maintain a party of that size is food variety, paying wages every week, and constant successful combat. If you don't have a castle/city and your faction agrees to peace, you're going to have a bad time.

So, you need more ways to improve morale outside of battles. Soldiers love to train, so I think sparring at the training fields (or the equivalent in Bannerlord) should provide a small boost to morale. Training provides confidence and ability, so it makes perfect sense. This is just one example.

Morale's effect in battle is probably obvious. Basically, it should affect a tendency to rout. One way to calculate whether or not a unit routs could involve party morale and the unit's level, where unit level is used as a multiplier of sorts for party morale, and this is inversely proportionate to rout chance. So, a unit with high party morale but low level would have the same, low rout chance as a unit with low party morale but high level. A fight would practically be over before a high level unit routs, whereas a handful of nearby casualties could cause a low level unit with low party morale to run for the hills.

Orion said:
Improvements to the morale system would have to be two-fold. You would need more ways to affect it on the campaign map before you have more ways it can affect a battle. If low party morale increased your chances of fleeing in battles in native Warband as it currently is, then I would probably lose at least twice as many battles (so, going from "few and far between" to "once a month or more"). This is because maintaining high morale in large parties for the player is quite difficult. Food variety and charisma/leadership/whatnot only go so far. I've wandered around with 30-50 morale in an army of ~100 top-tier troops that had excellent food variety and had recently won a couple of battles. The morale penalty from party size is huge, but if you want to be effective late-game you need a large party to take settlements. The only way to maintain a party of that size is food variety, paying wages every week, and constant successful combat. If you don't have a castle/city and your faction agrees to peace, you're going to have a bad time.

So, you need more ways to improve morale outside of battles. Soldiers love to train, so I think sparring at the training fields (or the equivalent in Bannerlord) should provide a small boost to morale. Training provides confidence and ability, so it makes perfect sense. This is just one example.

Morale's effect in battle is probably obvious. Basically, it should affect a tendency to rout. One way to calculate whether or not a unit routs could involve party morale and the unit's level, where unit level is used as a multiplier of sorts for party morale, and this is inversely proportionate to rout chance. So, a unit with high party morale but low level would have the same, low rout chance as a unit with low party morale but high level. A fight would practically be over before a high level unit routs, whereas a handful of nearby casualties could cause a low level unit with low party morale to run for the hills.
Good ideas. I for one, would like to see that in Bannerlords. So even if a peasant routs a better trained troop would hold the line.

Orion said:

A complex battle morale system is in fact already in the game. There's a value that you can change that makes routing quite logical - recruits will rout if they're slaughtered too quickly or get bombarded by arrows, and troops in formation are less likely to waver and break before actually coming into contact. It even takes things like flanking and hammer and anvil charges into consideration.
For some reason this was heavily nerfed in the final game and you don't ever see those effects in a realistic manner. Kind of a shame, because it completely changes the dynamic of battles.

A more complex morale system would certainly make battles more interesting, especially if they also remodel the reinforcement system in Bannerlord (one of the major weaknesses of Warband, practically ruined any kind of strategy in larger battles). I totally hate it when the enemy throws in every available force in an open field battle even though he has already lost 80% of his men. Medieval wars didn't work like that, you only have to look at the casualty numbers armies usually took in battles of the age. When the foe had slaughtered half of the army, any man with a brain would start running, and coward peasants would do even much earlier.

You know what they should REALLY have? It should be that arrows and throwables have a chance of retrieval. They should dedicate a skill to retrieving items. The higher the skill, the more likely you will find them after the battle. You should also be able to pick up ENEMY arrows and throwables in battle to keep. If you drop your sword for another, the same should apply but it should be far more likely to retrieve it. Also, battle scales should take part in the possibility of retrieval. If you kill one person with one arrow in a one on one battle, you should be able to retrieve it at a high possibility, if the battle is in the hundreds, the possibility should be greatly reduced. Alot of people might dislike this change so it should be in the gameplay options and should lower the difficulty percent if turned off.

Rebel King said:
Oh my Gooooooooooooood!!!!! HELL YESS! Keep up the awesome work!!!  :grin:

P.S. Hopefully during feasts, Lords and Ladies will be walking around instead of just standing still awkwardly. Lol
Staring at eachother...  :shock:

Back
Top Bottom