Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 5 - Virtual Skeletons

Users who are viewing this thread

Happy Friday to avid readers and passers by. It has been a little while since our last Bannerlord Blog. In this entry we are once more decreasing the number of unblogged rooms in the office by one. Although some animations are made and polished in various parts of the office, many are captured in our very own motion capture studio near the main door of our offices. The animation hub and thus the associated blog room for this episode.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/6

hudson57 said:
jacobhinds said:
Show some patience, man. It's an impromptu blog, not a newspaper.
Calradia Times?
voulgev1.jpg

reiksmarshal said:
Looking forward to when the map is revealed, it would be pretty cool if it would take on more of a total war look.

I would rather have the game stick with the Mount and Blade look. After all, it's Mount and Blade, not Total War.

To be fair, Total War has more detailed maps than M&B now, and I for one wouldn't be opposed to Total War-style borders being (optionally) marked on the campaign map. That would be a nice usability change, I think, which would allow players to know at a glance which villages are tied to which castles/cities. There are diplomatic possibilities that could be tied into it as well, but that's just wishful thinking at this point.

Orion said:
To be fair, Total War has more detailed maps than M&B now, and I for one wouldn't be opposed to Total War-style borders being (optionally) marked on the campaign map. That would be a nice usability change, I think, which would allow players to know at a glance which villages are tied to which castles/cities. There are diplomatic possibilities that could be tied into it as well, but that's just wishful thinking at this point.
yes, i don't see how can i put 200 troops in some neutral lord's backyard without causing any conflict, friction.
Trespassing neutral territory may make it easier for that faction to declare war on yours, or one should pay tolls on bridges and things like that that are under another faction's control

Antar said:
reiksmarshal said:
Looking forward to when the map is revealed, it would be pretty cool if it would take on more of a total war look.

I would rather have the game stick with the Mount and Blade look. After all, it's Mount and Blade, not Total War.

Let's just release Warband again...

How the **** can one not want a ******** improvement over the ******** previous game? It's a new ******** game. NEW. I don't get you, people. ©

it's this deep seated fear that graphics and gameplay are pitted against each other in a zero-sum game. you can either have one or the other, apparently.

even if they hadn't changed the actual graphics engine, there's still a huge horizon for improvement over the aesthetics of warband. a lot of the textures stock images from royalty free websites. what's more the meshes for trees and grass are almost ten years old, and are there for necessity purposes rather than to enhance the game. i mean look at what gutekfitek did with buildings and landscapes, using the same amount of polys, textures and shaders.

If there's two things M&B could take from Total War, it's faction borders and roads being actual things that can make a journey faster.

jacobhinds said:
it's this deep seated fear that graphics and gameplay are pitted against each other in a zero-sum game. you can either have one or the other, apparently.

even if they hadn't changed the actual graphics engine, there's still a huge horizon for improvement over the aesthetics of warband. a lot of the textures stock images from royalty free websites. what's more the meshes for trees and grass are almost ten years old, and are there for necessity purposes rather than to enhance the game. i mean look at what gutekfitek did with buildings and landscapes, using the same amount of polys, textures and shaders.

I'm of the opinion that, in the not-too-distant future, the number of gameplay vs. graphics posts just in the dev blogs will reach some sort of critical mass.

God only knows what'll happen then.

I mean, come on - Is it really that difficult for some people to understand that some people don't play Call of Duty, and that we appreciate a game with more substance over style?

Gah!

-sigh- I know I'm going to (possibly) catch flak for this comment; I find it likely that people will take my words another way than how I mean them, but...
We have substance, it's just style needs improving.

Now, hear me out... I'm not saying that they need to look like one of those Triple-A games. In fact, I'm quite happy with what they seem to be going for. This is for you... "Gameplay is everything" guys (only way I can think to phrase it, sorry).
They have pie (and let's just say that this pie means the game-play n' such: our substance). Now we just need to put whipped cream and garnishes on top, package it up in a fancy box and make it look and taste (feeeel) good, make it the most satisfying pie ever. Apple pie... Now add cinnamon, whipped cream and a bit of butter, cooked evenly to a crispy golden-brown that's flaky and delicious.

...I have high hopes for TaleWorlds, anyways. 'S gonna be a gooooood pie. :smile:
(I don't play Call of Duty either, so we're even there... :razz:)

I regret nooooothiiiing! -runs away-

I think the meaning of this thread is that , not only the motion will be more realistic but also the movement of the character will follow that of the mouse movement in a , possibly, more precise way. That being said ( it has to be confirmed anyway ) one thing I know for sure : we need some fresh information right away , I say ..... :cool:

The Bowman said:
Antar said:
reiksmarshal said:

Let's just release Warband again...

How the **** can one not want a ******** improvement over the ******** previous game? It's a new ******** game. NEW. I don't get you, people. ©

How about you calm down. I have nothing against improving the M&B map with better looks, more detail, borders, etc. But changing the map to a game-board-like system in the Total War games is not an improvement, it is a complete change.

jacobhinds said:
true dat. It always bothered me how you could march an entire campaign army in a straight line right past a neutral castle and not piss them off. kind of made castles a bit pointless if you couldn't prevent an enemy army and its supply trains from just trudging by.
I agree to a point. But you cant have a turn base map work for an RTS map. Like the borders. If they are going to do that they're going to have to put in some sort of veiw radius for each castle. Obviously just because you carve out a border don't mean you can police it all the time. I always hated that about the TW games. You even set foot in a claimed area and you have insta negative relation.

Back
Top Bottom