[UNAC S3] Pre-Season Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superstacks are a problem at any stage of the game, if you're intent on making them. It's obnoxious that dozens of units can fit into a single tile, and you can get a dozen+ units early- or mid-game if you want to.

Ok, please stay on topic.

Its a shame that not many people showed up to the meeting. However, we still need to settle the debate about how ties should be handled and if/how we should do away with the brackets. I would like some actual discussion on this, instead of one or two people posting. I'm trying to make these rules based on public opinion, its kinda hard when your opinion is a secret.

So basically, if you guys would be so kind, please post the following:

Keep tie rules: Yes or No
-If no, do you support Marnid's tie rules: Yes or No
Keep the brackets: Yes or No
-If no, what system do you support:

I know the second question is a bit obvious at this point, but I still want to see people's opinions.

Keep tie rules: Yes or No
-If no, do you support Marnid's tie rules: Yes or No
Keep the brackets: Yes or No or Don't Know How Many Teams Will Sign Up
-If no, what system do you support:
Depends on how many teams we field.

I'm not going to personally participate in the tournament so I don't think I should be voting. I will say, however, that I'm pleasantly surprised my proposal is being considered as-is without pages of arguing. That's a first for me.

It's my opinion that a rule for divisions should be made which would give you flexibility based on the number of teams attending. Simply decide how long you want a tournament to be in weeks at maximum. If the number of registered teams is equal to or less than your maximum time in weeks, do a round robin. If it's greater, do divisions or a Swiss-style tournament or something along those lines. That way you aren't locked into anything until the number of teams are decided, so you won't have divisions with only 6 or 7 teams and you won't have the season 1 round robin from hell.

The only complication is that you have to decide which two formats you want. All formats have their pros and cons.

Too damn long. I'll quote it and try to write a short synopsis so the voting process can be more painless. Don't read the stuff in the quote unless you want some long-winded explanations and theorycrafting. Read the stuff above the quote!

I can't put spoilers in spoilers. The whole post I made is at the end of this. Sorry for the extra scrolling.

The gist of it is:

A tiebreaker is just like any other map (2 sets with a swap), with a few exceptions.
1) Factions are allowed to be mirrored, but not forced to be mirrored, and are chosen at the same time.
2) Maps are limited to a pool of symmetrical (i.e. inherently balanced) maps to negate any picking advantage.

If there's a tie on a tiebreaker map, consider an alternative metric for resolving the tie, or continue playing maps until one team wins. If the first tiebreaker map is tied (meaning 3 maps have been played), then I think allowing a reschedule is reasonable and fair due to time concerns. I also think gold rules should remain the same during the tiebreaker.

I was informed after writing this that the metric for determining the winner is in fact round wins, so disregard my mentioning of that as a secondary metric. I haven't thought about what secondary metric you could use.

Orion said:
So the tiebreaker follows its own little ruleset and will be nothing like the other 99% of the tournament? :lol:

I don't see what's so bad about playing full maps until the thing is decided. When you're scoring by set wins your likelihood of going past a third map is quite low. Low enough, I think, that it's practically a non-issue. I assume someone that has put some thought into this would realize this (which means I assume you realized this), so that makes me question why tiebreaker maps aren't played like they have been in the past. What's the motivation for this change? Fairness and time constraints are all I can think of right now.

The stuff in spoilers is theoretical questioning and reasoning. You can skip that if you just care about my suggestion. If you have a question about my suggestion, read the stuff in the spoilers. You might find your answer, or at least figure out what questions to ask. And yes, it's really, really long. Sorry.
So, what's unfair about the way tiebreakers have been handled in the past? It seems like the consensus now is that one team got to pick the map, which gave them 2 map picks out of a total of 3. I agree that this is questionable, and I think that fixtures for tiebreaker maps are fine. Limiting the available pool of maps isn't a new idea (it goes back to NASTe season 2, where the tiebreaker map had to be from a different category than those previously played), and ensuring that maps are symmetrical is certainly a way to nullify any kind of inherent map advantage one team may have. Faction swapping was an attempt at solving this problem, but it's naturally prone to more ties if both teams can equally exploit the inherent map advantage on their "turn" for that spawn, so I'm OK with symmetrical maps and no swaps as well, to an extent. I think swapping is an interesting mechanic in regards to faction variety, because it gets teams to play things outside of their comfort zone and try new approaches. It can keep the metagame going as teams develop new strategies and counters to accommodate for factions they're not used to playing. For this reason, I think swapping is still a good concept and should not be wholly abandoned in tiebreakers, and it's impossible when factions are forced to be mirrored. For this reason, I am also against forced mirroring of factions in the tiebreaker.

This also means that you must have a match long enough to accommodate at least one swap, so that both teams can play both factions. This implies that an entire map is played, 2 sets by your reckoning, and allowing mirrored factions means there is no advantage in getting first faction pick. Along with maps being predetermined, this wholly negates any unfairness inherent in the picking system.

As for time constraints, I understand this is a very real concern and that matches in Warband are already considerably longer than in similar games. However, a single set is a relatively short period of time to resolve a match that is already quite close, especially considering the potential and decisiveness of snowballing. Removing round bonus gold somewhat alleviates this, but combat gold is still a very real concern because it still gives an advantage to the winning team. However, this line of reasoning runs counter to the fact that changing either/both of these deviates from the way all other matches are played throughout the tournament, and this sort of deviation raises questions about the validity of the tiebreaker as a whole. If it doesn't follow the same rules as everything else, then how is it an accurate representation of how two teams perform in the match? It's akin to having tiebreakers be resolved by a duel. The rules of the competition change, so the outcome of the tiebreaker is arguably not an accurate representation of the capabilities of the teams involved. For this reason, I think it is best to stick as close as possible to the standard match rules, and not have anything drastically different from the first 2 maps.

Which, obviously, still leaves the problem of time unresolved. In order to stay true to the standard match rules, you would play an entire map with a swap in the middle, and what if you're still tied after that? Well, regarding the problem of time required to play another whole map, you could be more lenient in regards to how many players are required per team during tiebreakers. Allow some players to leave and force the opposing team to match players. Your standard matches require 7 players to start, and I think a minimum of 5 during tiebreakers is still enough to emphasize teamwork over individual skill. This would allow 2 players per team to leave if necessary, and the likelihood of more having to leave is low. Personally, I think this is a lax and easy-going solution to adopt, because I believe such problems can be largely avoided at the team level with proper scheduling, but I know that sometimes there just isn't enough time to go around and deadlines have to be met. So, such a rule would accommodate those situations if/when they arise.

In the event of a tie after a third full map, you could evaluate the teams by other metrics. One possibility is round wins during the map. If my understanding of your current scoring system is correct, you play sets in first-to-four and the team with the greatest number of set wins is the overall victor of the match. Because of this scoring system, there are only 4 possible score combinations that results in a tie of set wins and rounds out of 30 possible score combinations when dealing with only 2 sets (10 ways for a team to win, 10 to lose, 10 to tie). This gives you a chance to tie of ~13% based on statistical probability alone. If you weight the probability by team strength, then you get results similar to what we've had in previous tournaments, which is to say very, very few ties. So really, making special rules to guarantee a victor in a tiebreaker map is kind of pointless. The odds of reaching a tiebreaker map are quite small, while the odds of playing a second tiebreaker map are even smaller.

My advice, which is general advice when creating rules, is to write rules that acknowledge the possibility extraordinary circumstances, and provide the means with which they can be handled. For tiebreakers, in the unlikely event of their occurrence, have one map predetermined by fixture. I recommend simply shuffling the list (guaranteeing that the same one isn't on top twice in a row) and saying "if you tie, play through the tiebreaker map list in order until the tie is broken." You can say "but what if they keep getting tied? they'll play forever!" Well, yeah, that's the absolute worst case scenario, isn't it? Be realistic. When has anything even approached that? I can't recall a single tournament match that went past 3 maps. It's just so unlikely to happen that it isn't statistically significant. However, with such a rule in place (play through the map list) you have the means with which to handle it should it happen.

Of course, let's be realistic here. If you tie on your first tiebreaker map, that implies you've already been playing for 2 hours or more. I would say, allow teams that tie on a tiebreaker map to reschedule to a later date, and give them a clean slate to play from. Argue all you want about how the players that show up may be different and it may change the outcome, fine, but the tournament measures team success and not player success and all of those players are on the same team, and you can't reasonably expect a team to continue playing non-stop until a victor is decided.

Perhaps you could allow mirrored factions but not force teams to mirror. Not every clan has the same strengths and weaknesses, and forcing one team to play a faction they're weak on but their opponent isn't is arguably unfair. This would allow both teams to pick to their strengths, and I think what's most fair is two teams at their strongest rather than two teams with different talents using the same tools. I also like the concept of swapping for reasons of metagame advancement and forced variation in play. This implies a map long enough to accommodate a swap, so I think a full map should be played, and to resolve possible ties in tiebreaker maps, round wins could be a secondary metric.

Given the statistical probability of a set & round wins tie on a single map (~13.3%, unweighted by team skill), the chance of a full-blown tie is acceptably small. In the event of a full-blown tie, allow teams the option of rescheduling or continuing to play through tiebreaker maps until one team wins. You could also factor in overall match round wins as a third metric, if you want to reduce the likelihood of ties further, though you would still need some way to resolve total ties.

I'll also add that unless you remove all forms of earning gold (kills and round bonus), you won't negate snowballing. Gold from kills is significant (100+10% of gear cost, IIRC), and because of forced MOTF spawns at 2 minutes more rounds are resolved by kills than by flag captures because of forced confrontation.

And here's a novel idea, if you don't read the post, don't respond to the post. I know lots of people don't like walls of text, but this is a complicated issue. The important parts are outside of the spoiler, and the explanations for them are inside the spoiler, to save you the trouble of reading all of it. If you want an explanation for something, open the spoiler first. I don't mind writing this stuff, but I do mind repeating it.

I wasn't aware there was another meeting.  I heard some buzz about April 18th (from a post Pizza made?), but other than that, I didn't get any PM's or see an announcement.  I must have overlooked it.  Apologies for missing the meeting.

Yeah, sorry I didn't make the meeting either.

Keep the brackets: No.
-If no, what system do you support: A single group round robin.

As to the ties, I don't really have an opinion, and I haven't follow that debate so I will not make a judgement about it either way.

At this point we have two Div A teams left. Obviously having a round robin at this point is ideal. It looks like we'll be having 8-10 teams sign up max.

The competition is going to be a little weird (wK and TMW vs DW, DoF, SF etc) but we gotta play the cards we are dealt.

I would definitely like more of a reply than what I got about the rules. Marnid made some good points, but they are his opinion, one of many. Again, I'm trying to make the rules based on the populous of the community, not the most vocal ones.

To the ones actually replying, I appreciate it. Believe it or not, you actually make it easier on me. I don't have to try and read your minds.

Currently, what I'm getting from what people have posted so far is that:
A) No divisions. (Only Eternal said otherwise)
B) Ties are iffy. (Mixed feelings, but mostly for Marnid's rules)

I know I'm not going to make the perfect ruleset, but I would rather make one that has the majority of the community in agreement rather than the small vocal few.

Nobody says my suggestion needs to be taken as-is, either. What matters at this point is keeping teams invested in the tournament, and if that means they need different rules to play by then by all means make different rules.

I just want some of these teams to stay together until Bannerlord comes out so they won't have to drum up interest among scattered members. Warband took too long to become competitive in the beta because it took a long time for steady clans to form. There's no reason for Bannerlord to be the same way.

I wholly disagree with your view about "the only reason teams became steady in WB" because it is extremely narrow.

There are plenty of places to go, if you broaden your perspective to include other games, and I believe that's where most of our competitive players have gone. I also think that many of them haven't cut ties with their Warband clans, but moved to different games with them. From what I last heard, BkS is still playing Arma 3 together. I know some LES guys play CS:GO together quite a bit since Heroes of Newerth really slowed down. There also seemed to be some legit concern in TMW about Warband commitment when they were real heavy into Smite for a while. There are many examples to be had, because there's more out there than Warband and that's where people go. "Stable teams" are teams that remain committed to Warband regardless of any other interests they may have.

Well, with two days to go before registration ends, and no one new posted anything at all about the tie rule-set, I'm just going to go for whatever makes the majority of the admins happy.

With that said, there are only two days before registration ends. Submit your teams as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom