Random Nature Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Sir_Thaddeus

Recruit
I have a picture of a tree I've found online and as far as identification goes... well, I'm stumped.

An odd thing to bring to Taleworlds, but I know a lot of people here are quite clever and like to flaunt it, so why not?

This is a link to it:

markjohnson.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=1&_bqH=eJwzSA2yyLT0LvMtLXJPLg_PCyk1KzTPDywIryy2MrcyNDAAYSDpGe8S7Gybk5qYpp2TWVKSWqQGFol39HOxLQGyQ4Ndg.I9XWxDQapdQs3LcvwKDIz8I9XiHZ1DbItTE4uSMwBD1SHO&GI_ID=

First theory was that it was a kind of oak, but now leaning towards a liquid amber due to the bark and general leaf shape.

It's by the Brisbane River in Australia, apparently.

This is not a troll thread. I just think it's an awesome tree. That's normal... right?

... right?

You should probably try http://www.reddit.com/r/marijuanaenthusiasts.

They could identify that for you in a heartbeat.

Edit: or this one http://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisplant

Right. Thanks for that. Might try the second link, Tuckles. I imagine the tree would look pretty interesting if you were stoned... re-naming in a moment. Thanks for the brackets, J. Been a while since I've been on a forum.

Uh... bugger. No idea how to rename the thread.

Ah, yeah. Clicked on it expecting... well, what it said on the tin, I guess. :lol:

Edit: Could my inability to change the topic be a result of not having the privilege due to being a new member, or is it something blindingly obvious?

My options seem to be:

ADD POLL
NOTIFY
MARK UNREAD
SEND THIS TOPIC
PRINT
IGNORE

I'd imagine the option to edit the name would normally be there?

So now that it has been fully renamed, like talk about nature!

I love forests for when you are angry and pissed and want to scream like a madman to throw out the brewing anger inside, it doesn't judge.
It actually hug you while you scream and fill your nose with pure air.

Thank you nature.
You prevented me from murdering peoples.  :razz:

Sir_Thaddeus said:
Right. Thanks for that. Might try the second link, Tuckles. I imagine the tree would look pretty interesting if you were stoned... re-naming in a moment. Thanks for the brackets, J. Been a while since I've been on a forum.

Uh... bugger. No idea how to rename the thread.
It looks like some kind of maple tree, but I'm not sure. Don't forget to tell us what it was when you find out.

Rebelknight said:
So now that it has been fully renamed, like talk about nature!

I love forests for when you are angry and pissed and want to scream like a madman to throw out the brewing anger inside, it doesn't judge.
It actually hug you while you scream and fill your nose with pure air.

Thank you nature.
You prevented me from murdering peoples.  :razz:
Agreed, the world needs more trees. In a forest I stop caring of this human bull**** and I become just another living thing in there. I hope I'll die in a forest.

The bark and branch configuration looks like a red oak to me, though I am certainly no expert on trees.

images

new-jersey-state-tree-red-oak.jpg

The leaves are funny though. Red oak leaves are quite distinctive and homogeneous in my limited experience. A lot of those leaves do look like maple leaves. In zooming in on it with magnifier, I'm leaning toward "this is a doctored image."

red_oak_leaf.jpg

ADDIT: ah waitaminute. Seems the "red oaks" are actually very diverse. There is one species native to the Ozarks called the "Maple-leaved Oak" but I cannot find a good image of it. However, the pictures of leafs I find with that search string do look rather maple like as do those in the pic.

It's probably a type of Acer or Platanus. Can't tell which from this far though, you'd have to see the buds to make that determination.

How about discussing some animals then?

One of my personal favorites, the Harpy, because it eats monkeys. I take a strong disliking for most monkeys and apes.
harpy-eagle-panama-1024x768-847266.jpeg

Hengwulf said:
It's probably a type of Acer or Platanus. Can't tell which from this far though, you'd have to see the buds to make that determination.

How about discussing some animals then?

One of my personal favorites, the Harpy, because it eats monkeys. I take a strong disliking for most monkeys and apes.
harpy-eagle-panama-1024x768-847266.jpeg

2013-02-08-SadGorillaGivingFinger.png

By far and away Crows/Ravens are my favorite aminal. Very encouraged to see that the research demonstrating their exceptional cognitive ability continues to grow and spread. If I could be reincarnated as an animal, I would definitely prefer to be a Crow.

There was a cool video I found on BBC (I think) some time back about a raven/crow/black bird solving a puzzle. I think someone might have linked it to this forum somewhere too.

Yea, this. Says its broken for me, though.

Back
Top Bottom