Bans/mutes/warnings discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a problem with this a little over a year ago, and had the same opinion regarding moderator actions. Apparently the warnings get tacked onto whoever made the post that was reported. Context is rarely checked, and so other potential offenders are missed. My advice is to report & leave the thread instead of stirring the pot. Stupidity abounds, but you don't have to stick around to see it.

Which isn't to say I always follow my own advice. :lol:

Orion said:
Apparently the warnings get tacked onto whoever made the post that was reported.

No, they don't. If we warned everybody who was reported we'd have a lot more people warned for dumb **** that didn't require moderator action. Before warning, the post leading up to (and sometimes, following) the reported posts are checked and all parties considered.

Or at least, they should be.

Sometimes warnings are given. Sometimes reported posts are disregarded. Sometimes a verbal "quit it you guys, or I'll mute you" is enough to bring a situation under control. Repeat offenders are dealt with more harshly where the level of warning is concerned.

But we're only human. Sometimes we miss things, not because we're maliciously just bent on warning the reported poster but because of simple human error. If somebody has been warned/muted they are free to PM a member of the moderation team who will take a look at the situation and, if necessary, refer the situation onto the administrators for reconsideration. It even says that in the board rules:

Archonsod said:
I have a problem with a moderator or Administrator
If you have a problem with a moderator or administrator, or their actions, you can PM the staff member in question. Usually we are happy to respond and explain exactly why something has been done. If you don't feel you can approach the staff member in question, feel free to contact another Administrator with your concerns. Do not post a topic to complain about the member in question - while we will allow general debate regarding admin/moderator activities we consider flaming a staff member the same as flaming a normal board member.

Context is rarely checked

It is or should be checked by the mod/admin issuing the warning/mute/ban.

I didn't mean to accuse the mods of being lazy, indifferent bums, LL notwithstanding :razz:. I probably should have explained further. In the event that a post really is deserving of a warning, no doubt about it, then it seems to me like the mods don't really try to dig much further. They check the post, see that it is in clear, excess violation of the rules, and promptly administer justice. In what looks like such a clear case (or rather, such an obviously messy case), I can't really blame the moderators for not wanting to read more bickering to see who else may be at fault, but I do think they should do so in topics that generate several reports in a short period of time.

In the Scandinavian forum I prefer to rule with an iron fist and I warn/mute/ban anyone who dares to speak against me or cause trouble. Therefore, I tend to punish everyone who has posted in a thread with a reported post.

...I mean, I follow the rules of the forum.

Before anyone decides to be silly, I am joking... :razz:

There was no report that led me to the thread, i simply read it and found belendor to be the prime culprit. If i had warned the others, i would have had to mute him(particularly looking at his warning history), but i felt like being lenient. Which is why it was just a slap for him.

Duh said:
There was no report that led me to the thread, i simply read it and found belendor to be the prime culprit. If i had warned the others, i would have had to mute him(particularly looking at his warning history), but i felt like being lenient. Which is why it was just a slap for him.

Well, I can thank you for that. After all the contribution I have done leniently to the modding community, I think I deserve that at the very least. (Sorry, but I feel like I have done good things to the community over the years, big or small.)

I accept my prickness over that thread, I felt like that and acted such that time. I also accept half my history that it is judged true, other half is completely rubbishly-given. Anyway.

@Duh, if it is going to help you judge equally for this case, give me a mute. And give them a fat chunk of warning for all those swears.

I like it, just learnt looking in my dictionary. I am getting used to it.

I don't think he was being lenient because you've contributed to the community :lol:

Duh said:
The Turkish forum doesn't really count though.

Belendor said:
And give them a fat chunk of warning for all those swears.
How the **** can you of all people be offended by swearing? "Oh I'll just run around insulting people and cwy when i get sworn at." People will defend their own work when it is defamed, especially when a potential bit of help is involved.

Alleged contributions to the community (though I remember most of your mods dieing...) does not excuse you to just go around spewing whatever bull**** you want without fearing the consequences, and now you complain about a slap on the wrist.

To preempt your presumable next words to pull out your ass, I am not against criticism of mods. I am against the criticism you were giving, which is: "Your mod is **** and you are not a true modder. Hey potential recruit to the team, stay the **** away from them and go to true modders. Oh and we should stop talking about this now, I am saying this so I don't get warned."

You realize why this would prompt some vitriol yes? Cut the false naivete and the false innocence.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
See where leniency gets you?!?

You need to follow the Tao of Ulf. Ban them all, and damn the consequences!

Indeed, speaking of I will be selling my collected philosophical works for a low price of $500 around Christmas.

Belendor keeps going on and on (and on) about his contributions to his community, but I've got to be frank, as a regular viewer of the Pioneer's Guild and the Forge, I fail to recall what it is exactly that he does in either of those places.

No, it's not right way of looking at it, it doesn't matter what he did or did not contributed (besides that's just invitation to too much whining even for a whining thread), it's all about the fact that he went to the thread of new guy to the community and started implying existence of cool kids club and that he knows the secret handshake. Things like that is precisely why people then go around internet and talk how modding community of M&B is full of elitist pricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom