After beating the 2000 army of darkness

Users who are viewing this thread

catking2003

Regular
reward? an arrow

not two, not three, just one, single, value 1000 or so arrow

and about 50 gold

apparently that's what you get for beating the last wave of 50 or so siren and due to no reinforcement you get no loot from previous 1900+ kills

seriously?

this really sucks

On a more serious note, Xeno created this style of fighting in smaller battles in order to prevent the memory getting full and crashing the game. So while it may have made it so you only get loot from 50 guys, the alternative is that you would have crashed way before that. It should be fixed, but I'm not sure if it can be with the current game mechanics

Hallegra said:
On a more serious note, Xeno created this style of fighting in smaller battles in order to prevent the memory getting full and crashing the game. So while it may have made it so you only get loot from 50 guys, the alternative is that you would have crashed way before that. It should be fixed, but I'm not sure if it can be with the current game mechanics

thx for the explanation

and first I really like this mod, the whole concept is interesting, and the ability to play as a god but not considered cheating is definitely fascinating

however, I don't really get it. I mean there are so many mods out there that support reinforcement or even better, infinite reinforcement, which makes combating large armies so much comfortable and fun. why will it cause crashes here in B&S? (so far this is the only mod I have played that has this problem) Is it due to reinforcement size? then why not tune down the size but allow multiple reinforcement. The fact that I have to walk all the way to enemies again and again and again simply grinds my gears.

btw, the somehow fixed huge battle size (as a way to counter no reinforcement) also causes problem for siege battle as defenders are so many that they just fall out of the castles or fall off walls at the beginning.

and for the loot thing, no, it is not about my loot skill, I beat the army in siege defense (guess it is one of the few ways you can actually beat them) but every time a round is finished, the siege is broken, then the next round is basically a new battle, so in the end when I get to loot screen, I have technically only beaten about 50 sirens.

Basically, the problem is that there's a memory leak in the engine that happens every time Reinforcements happen, and the sheer numbers in the mod trigger an out-of-memory crash for people trying to play the mod on WinXP with 2GB of RAM.  You won't see it in the other mods because the leak isn't giant, just a few MB per Reinforcement wave.  When you have 1000 troops vs. 2000 troops, however... things get pretty messed up.

Since that bug has never been fixed, to the best of my knowledge, and most likely never will get fixed, but I wanted to keep the massive battles that are so much fun in the mod, this was the compromise.

As for the loot... that really shouldn't be happening, regardless, if your Looting score is more than zero (including your Companions bonuses).  Same with the cash gain; that doesn't make much sense, at least not with the last released version of the mod. 

I don't have the time to fix these kinds of bugs, if they're bugs in the current code at all, however the source is available to everybody in the /source directory and if somebody were to find and patch such a bug and offer the changed source + a build for non-modders to install, I'd certainly be happy to endorse it as an unofficial patch, if it existed and I knew about it.  I've only been able to dig up the time to check up around here a few times in the last year, though, so it's not like it would be a fast process :smile:

Would it be possible to have an additional patch to re-introduce the reinforcement waves? I personally found the idea of slugging out a battle for an extended period of time worth while.

I'm only saying this because I've never had the issue of crashes during battles though and that this is not the same for everyone.

It's possible to re-add something like that without too much trouble; I just haven't because it causes crashes.  I might get around to making it possible via a mod setting though :smile:

Back
Top Bottom