Lords and their banners

Users who are viewing this thread

Is it just me, or were some of them just randomly assigned to lords and went from there? The reason I ask is because some of them look like they belong to a lord of another faction. For example, Lord Tellrog's and Lord Kumipa's banners feature the Prussian eagle looking thingy that decorates King Ragnar's banner (and is therefore the Flag of the Kingdom of Nords), yet Tellrog and Kumipa are members of different factions. The lion on King Harlaus's banner (the Flag of the Kingdom of Swadia) is featured on banners of Nord and Rhodok lords.

I don't know if the game really provides much of an explanation to that, but without it, I just found it weird to see the same symbols on different factions.

Also, if you don't like them at all, you may change them. To do this you need a program that allows you to modify .dds files, like Paint.NET.
In the examples below, I'm modifying Floris's banners (which is for Warband, but this method also works for any other Mod - M&B or WB alike); and also I'm using Paint.NET.

First off, open the Mod's directory. The path would be something like the following:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\Modules\Mod
Within that folder are several other ones, such as Languages, Music, Resource, etc.. Open the "Textures" one.

Once there you'll see a lot of files. Look for the ones labelled "banners", or something similar. They must be a total of 6-7 files, which you have to open with Paint.NET.

From here on:
Pjoft said:
Jumper721 said:
Okay, I have Paint.NET and I have founded the banners files and the swadia's lord's banner. Now, what I do ?

• Select the Rectangle Tool (shortcut: S), and then click and draw a rectangle over the banner you want to have - the area covered must be of 132x340 pixels and it should have a blue-ish color (help yourself zooming in).
gn1n.png
99mx.png
  • Copy (Ctrl + c), then paste (Ctrl + v) your selection over any* of the banners in the following files:
    min_flag_banners_a
    min_flag_banners_b
    min_flag_banners_c
    min_flag_banners_d
    min_flag_banners_e
    min_flag_banners_f
    min_flag_banners_g
    min_flag_banners_h
    min_flag_banners_i
    min_flag_banners_j
    min_flag_banners_k

*: As far as I know, for I don't remember correctly, these are all the banners the player may choose from when becoming a vassal, and are used by none of the lords in-game.
    udtf.png

The arrow-marked files are the other ones you may paste your banner on if you wish to do so.
    Remember: place the copied banner exactly over other one, so you don't have problems further ahead.
b03v.png
  • You may save the files and play, but you and the swadian lord will have the same banner. To change that, just repeat the process above, copying an unused banner over the 'original' one (the one in the swadian page, of course).
    f7tm.png

For example, you may raplace the original swadian banner for the one with a helmet over yellow and green.

jacobhinds said:
The lord's banners are randomly assigned, but remain within factions. If you're seeing banners that look like they belong to another faction, it's down to the fact that there isn't a clear-cut difference between nord, vaegir, swadian or rhodok banners.

They're randomly? For some reason I thought they were the same each time...

For the most part, there really isn't a clear-cut difference, but I would think that the icons would be a bit of an indication as to which faction that banner looked like it belonged to. The rampant lion, for example, looks like it's Swadian due to King Harlaus flying that banner (though it could be a Caldradian herald rather than a Swadian one), yet it can be seen on banners of Nord and Vaegir lords.

There are those like the double-headed eagle and the rampant horse that would be hard to place.

My brother also didn't like Native's banners. He used to think like you: the lion was the general symbol for Swadian Lords as well as the horses (due to their heavy knights); while the two-headed eagles and some stags belonged to the Vaegirs because said faction was based off of the Rus'; and that castle-like, bolts were for Rhodoks only; etc. He once spent an entire day re-arranging the banners -according to what each of them represented- instead of actually playing - it was hilarious.

He once convinced me too that certain banners had to belong to certain Lords for displaying certain objects. But when I began playing and I read about the Old Calradian Empire and its story through the several hints given in the game, I reached the conclusion that it didn't really matter what a Lord's banner displayed, if either an eagle or a lion, because (from a roleplaying point-of-view), maybe said Lord was given said banner for a reason.
As example, perhaps the lion was the Calradian Empire's most iconic symbol, with several Lords of different lands (Swadians, Vegirs) having them in their banner because it was granted due to a remarkble noble action or what-not. These banners would be a legacy through generations among that certain family, where every member had a "variation" of it - i.g, Lord Montewar(?)'s father was given a golden lion on azure because of a noble deed, and his son inherited said symbol, though now on argent, because it's something valuable for them.

And then when the Empire fell and split into five (six, in WB) different factions some Lords left or changed factions, which lead to their banners to "mix" as time went on and generations inherited a huge variation of different banners with different symbols. And thus, when the game begins, we see a Swadian and Vaegir (and perhaps a Rhodok, too) Lords displaying lions or knights on their banners because of that.

I was under the impression that the Vaegirs, Khergits, and Nords (and Sarranids) were outside entities when it came to the Calradian Empire. Like, the only ones who could say they were descendants of the Calradian Empire are the Swadians and Rhodoks. Though, I probably need to brush up on Calradian history again.

DAWUSS said:
I was under the impression that the Vaegirs, Khergits, and Nords (and Sarranids) were outside entities when it came to the Calradian Empire. Like, the only ones who could say they were descendants of the Calradian Empire are the Swadians and Rhodoks. Though, I probably need to brush up on Calradian history again.
They are. Nords come from a  land called "Nordland(?)", and they were "hired" by the Empire to man its ships; Vaegirs nd Khergits -and mayhaps Sarranids too, 'coz I can't remember very well- migrated from somewhere to Calradia.

Back
Top Bottom