Gentlemen's Tobacco Club

Users who are viewing this thread

Teofish said:
That'll dry out your throat like nobody's business.

Jock said:
Do you use a machine for stuffing?
You mean a WinnerTip thingy?
AvnckFfCAAAC7Rn.jpg
Yah, exactly.

And all the appliances you need for that kind, namely that pump action loader and the box of prerolled, filtered papers (which will be hard to use if gets crampled) take up too much pocket space. With hand rolled, you can put the paper and the filters into the tobacco bag and be done with it. Also doing cigarettes with that loader just looks lame in a prole way.

Yeah, they are like the cheap IKEA version of smoking. You buy a truckload of parts, work a lot to put 'em together, and you end up labeled as a cheapskate coin****er who couldn't even buy a chair that's in one piece. All the while rolling by hand is like carving your furniture out of logs; you work harder so you spare a bit more money, but in the end you'll be considered dextrous and manly.

Mentioned it in another thread but in any case, I've sworn off smoking tobacco. Such a shame that oriental tobacco isn't used in smokeless tobacco, I will miss your sweet taste. Edit : I rolled out a Oliver Twist chew bit and tried going loose leaf á la American. The flavour is much more intense and the spit much darker but it's really messy, I'll stick to the original.

Smokeless tobacco? That should go well with sipping alcohol-free beer while chewing on some nutrient-free snack. If only they'd invent oxygen-free air already.

That quality is taken in more consideration when the product comes in direct contact with the mouth.

My reasoning was that the manufacturers are more careful not to use tobacco scrapings (from the tobacco factory floor) since it might be more dangerous to the mouth when it comes in direct contact rather than having a filter inbetween you and the tobaccco. You're right however, I remember that some American "dipping tobacco" (Grizzly) uses tobacco scrapings from the floor so my argument is invalid.

I'd say they keep the floor scrapings for the regular cigarettes and the very low-end tobacco, as the quality of a bagged tobacco is much more evident upon opening. I didn't see any reasonable difference in amount of smoke between tobaccos of various quality, although some of the ****tiest kinds' smoke indeed looks and tastes like a bushfire.

The pipe […] is a powerful rival to wife or maid, and no wonder that at last the woman succumbs, consents, and rather than lose her lord or master, even supplies the hated herb with her own fair hands. And this is what women have come to do on the Continent; but in America they have gone further, and admitted the rival to their very drawing-rooms, where the unmanly husband stretches his legs on the sofa, smokes, and spits on the carpet. Far be it from our English women to permit such habits; and yet, as things are, a little concession is prudent.  One must never smoke, nor even ask to smoke, in the company of the fair. If they know that in a few minutes you will be running off to your cigar, the fair will do well—say it is in a garden, or so—to allow you to bring it out and smoke it there. One must never smoke, again, in the streets; that is, in daylight. One must never smoke in a public place, where ladies aro or might be, for instance, a flower-show or promenade. One may smoke in a railway-carriage in spite of by-laws, if one has first obtained the consent of every one present; but if there be a lady there, though she give her consent, smoke not. In nine cases out of ten, she will give it from good-nature. One must never smoke in a close carriage; one may ask and obtain leave to smoke when returning from a picnic or expedition in an open carriage. One must never smoke in a theatre, on a race-course, nor in church. This last is not, perhaps a needless caution. In the Belgian churches you see a placard announcing, ” Ici on ne mache pas du tabac.” One must never smoke when anybody shows an objection to it. One must never smoke a pipe in the streets; one must never smoke at all in the coffee-room of a hotel. One must never smoke, without consent, in the presence of a clergyman, and one must never offer a cigar to any ecclesiastic over the rank of cm ate.  But if you smoke, or if you are in the company of smokers, and are to wear your clothes in the presence of ladies afterwards, you must change them to smoke in. A host who asks you to smoke, will generally offer you an old coat for the purpose. You must also, after smoking, rinse the mouth well out, and, if possible, brush the teeth. You should never smoke in another person’s house without leave, and you should not ask leave to do so, if there are ladies in the house. When you are going to smoke a cigar yourself, you should offer one at the same time to anybody present, if not a clergyman or a very old man. You should always smoke a cigar given to you, whether good or had, and never make any remarks on its quality.

Back
Top Bottom