SP Dark Ages The Sword And The Axe

Users who are viewing this thread

Antonis said:
Sverd it is, then. Thanks, both of you, guys! I will see what can be done for special characters. I don't own Viking Conquest, so I don't know if they use there special characters. If yes, that means they can be used and I will do so. Any info on that?

Nah, no special characters in VC.  Maybe it messes with the troop/party ID or something? Plus they used to get complaints from some folk about incomprehensible names in Bryt so they maybe didn't want to make it harder (for the anglophones anyway).

For the small villages they seem to use a naming convention that uses the nearest fortress. Din Erth=Fort Erth, Tref Erth= Erth village,  that kind of thing.  Could be a nice system if you don't want to use modern-sounding names. Plus it makes it more obvious which villages are attached to which centres.
d7M0m.jpg

Is there anything to help with so mod would be released sooner?
And I got one name for village, i don't know if it really existed but there is story about village called mogdanec in heart of Carpathian mountains. One day pagans killed all monks from monastery nearby and burned local priest alive. For few years no cristian could enter the village.
So again if there is anything for me to help with let me know :grin: :grin:

kraggrim said:
Nah, no special characters in VC.  Maybe it messes with the troop/party ID or something? Plus they used to get complaints from some folk about incomprehensible names in Bryt so they maybe didn't want to make it harder (for the anglophones anyway).

For the small villages they seem to use a naming convention that uses the nearest fortress. Din Erth=Fort Erth, Tref Erth= Erth village,  that kind of thing.  Could be a nice system if you don't want to use modern-sounding names. Plus it makes it more obvious which villages are attached to which centres.
d7M0m.jpg

Thanks, man, I really appreciate the info. I had a naming system like this in mind, but the use of appropriate terms sounds very good. So, there won't be Universal Forts, each faction will have those in their language, or at least, in an easy to read format of that language.

dykjozo said:
Is there anything to help with so mod would be released sooner?
And I got one name for village, i don't know if it really existed but there is story about village called mogdanec in heart of Carpathian mountains. One day pagans killed all monks from monastery nearby and burned local priest alive. For few years no cristian could enter the village.
So again if there is anything for me to help with let me know :grin: :grin:

Thanks for the legend, I didn't know about it, despite collecting legends from around the world for some years. That is a bit irrelevant with the mod per se, but since it concerns a hobby of mine, I thank you. Now, I'm off to research to find out more about it.  :smile:

Also, thanks for the offer. In that stage, the only thing to make the mod be finished sooner is research. Since I have the basis of the module system ready, many items gathered, it is only a matter of time to 'assemble' them and add new things.

But research will probably take me some time, for sure. So, if you like, you can help with that. Already, Urgrevling and Teofish provided me with many things for the scandinavian factions, including known lords, flora types, settlement names and such. I have knowledge of the Byzantine Empire of the era, as it was one of my courses in University and also I do have many books on the Carolingian Empire(the mod takes place shortly after the treaty of Verdun). But I don't have any info about:

-Bulgarians
-Great Moravia
-The Abbasids
-The Berber tribes
-The Emirate of Cordoba
-Asturias

All those, between others will be in the mod, but if someone was willing tto do some research, mainly to save time, while providing info, I'll be grateful. If you like, contact me via PM, sa that we don't clatter the thread. Thanks!  :smile:

Antonis said:
I don't have any info about:

-Bulgarians
-Great Moravia
-The Abbasids
-The Berber tribes
-The Emirate of Cordoba
-Asturias

All those, between others will be in the mod, but if someone was willing tto do some research, mainly to save time, while providing info, I'll be grateful. If you like, contact me via PM, sa that we don't clatter the thread. Thanks!  :smile:

Great Moravia and Bulgaria, I don't know if I can help, but I may be able to help with the Emirate of Cordoba, Asturias and maaaybe (a very, very big maybe) the Abbasids. What with being a History student, and a spaniard to boot.

I may need some time (maybe a few weeks, maybe one or two months), but I can definitely get something about them in some of my books (Cambridge Medieval History and History of Islam, Routledge's The Viking World, and a lot of Ospreys) and magazines (to be precise, Desperta Ferro nº 7, about Al-Andalus and a small article about Spain in the Viking age in the nº 26, about Vikings -duh-).

Problem is, being Summer, I'm away from my College's library, and said Library is closed for the most part of July and the entirety of August, so a lot of valuable information will be left behind unless I can make some research in September and October.

But hey, if you're willing to wait, I can make do.

Hey, thanks, I am willing to wait. As I mentioned, I am making another big project that has priority, so, I won't start the Sword and the Axe until the end of summer.  :smile:

Double posting in my own thread, but I had an idea:

Should I make two mods instead of one? What I mean is this: I already have a module system base ready. I have most of the items ready. I will definitely make more, but yeah, most of them are ready. Dykjozo started on a great scene of a wooden fort, which begs to be sieged.  :smile:
So, I was thinking, if I made a mod in the scale of the Sword and The Axe, same map, changed more or less everything else. And continue with the bigger mod. That means, the Sword and the Axe will be the Viking mod it is AND most importantly, it will finish earlier. Also, that allows me to make something else I had in mind: Move the date of the 'big' mod to 805AD. That will allow for more interesting stuff, more factions etc.

What do you guys think?

Antonis said:
Should I make two mods instead of one? What I mean is this: I already have a module system base ready. I have most of the items ready. I will definitely make more, but yeah, most of them are ready. Dykjozo started on a great scene of a wooden fort, which begs to be sieged.  :smile:
So, I was thinking, if I made a mod in the scale of the Sword and The Axe, same map, changed more or less everything else. And continue with the bigger mod. That means, the Sword and the Axe will be the Viking mod it is AND most importantly, it will finish earlier. Also, that allows me to make something else I had in mind: Move the date of the 'big' mod to 805AD. That will allow for more interesting stuff, more factions etc.

What do you guys think?

Yes, makes sense.  Anything to get the next version of Sword and the Axe out sooner is good by me!

Yeah, that was one of my reasoning. The other being that the Sword and the Axe is from its roots a scandinavian mod. It seemed...wrong to involve in it other things. But keeping it and making another about the 22 factions I already have, that's another issue. And I must admit, I haven't seen many mods about the Dark Ages for Warband. There is one for Calradia, made by mike56, it looks awesome. But other than that, no Dark Age mods around. There was an old one, for version 1.134, I think, titled Imperium Graecorum, but it is abandoned for years.  :sad:

So, I'll make one.  :smile:

I like the idea of another dark age mod and am looking forward to Mike's mod.  I am working on a latish dark-ages mod for Calradia but I'm not doing any scene work because I actually want to complete the mod this summer.

I think it's cool that the mod distances itself from the "usual" Viking Age period. I mean, most Viking age games or mods are set around the invasion of the Great Heathen Army, and it's starting to get pretty old. 805 is somewhat new, and might be interesting to see a world where the norsemen aren't as "organized" as they were in 865.

Alas, it's far from my desired time period, but I won't give up my hopes of someone developing a mod set around the Fall of the WRE.

That was one of my reasons too. The sword and the axe has to do with what you say organised vikings, I wanted to go a bit backwards. About the 5th century, the fall or Rome and all, it would be a very interesting project, but it would take a really big amount of time. Because with some exceptions, there are no OSPs that we can use, especially for the West and East Roman Empire. All has to be done by hand and from scratch and that would take a really long time. I am reserving the idea, though, for when I finish with the on-going mods and have nothing to do. Because, I don't see Bannerlord coming any time soon, so... :smile:

I have a question, mate. I REALLY like the music you put into this mod. Although, I don't know where to look for their names.

:lol:

So, can you give me the names of the songs? Because I LOVE 'em!  :smile:

EDIT:
PS: Loving your mod so much!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it. As for the music, it is from various scandinavian folk songs and some songs from movies of the kind. I cannot really remember all the names, I am sorry. I hope you understand.

I know I might be a bit annoying right now  :oops: but I have one more last thing to ask from you.

In the Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\The Sword and the Axe\Music there is a song called lords_hall_khergit. I mean it is not it's real name, but I would really like to know it's name.  :cry:

I would really appreciate if you could give me the name of it.

Respect for ya!  :fruity:

Don't worry, you're not annoying, at all. So, I cannot recall the particular song's name, but what I ddo recall is that I was searching for Finnish folk songs or finnish traditional music/songs. I erally hope that helps.  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom