Statement to the Community ( Excuse of the Jomsvikingar)

Users who are viewing this thread

Discipline is your problem.
This video demonstrates the problem very well.
Whomever the dude is speaking at 07:40 is missing the point of Ragnarr's monologue. The adherence to discipline does not equate to a vacuum of fun. It is the ability to hold some form of attention-span for longer than a few minutes, to respect oneself and to respect others, and to accept the rules presented before oneself.  I think you still need to clean out those benches a little Ragnarr. It seems there is a message going over the heads of a few folk in there.

I don't think it was particularly wise of you (as a whole) to publish this video. There are certain names appearing in the chat whom are already marked with a black spot (in my books). Thanks for the heads up on the next Shield-Wall Event.  :smile:

Plus, it's kinda weird to be allowed into a private meeting like that!

But I do appreciate what you said. As long as the leadership has the right idea, the rest will naturally follow, provided the leadership has the will to see the change through.

Also, hopefully the folks who are mad at you guys will appreciate your efforts to correct the situation and won't hold any grudges. One side here has apologized and vowed to change, so the other has to show good will too.

By the way, and this goes for everybody: admins are fallible, they can make mistakes and there's nothing wrong with raising the issue when you think they have screwed up. But usually, doing it on the server, as the admin is busy policing the place and having to deal with god knows how many rule-breachers, is not wise. I appreciate what you said about not starting pointless arguments with the admins in-game, but by all means, if you truly feel someone was mistreated or banned unfairly or whatever, tell us (in a civilized manner) and we'll look into it.

I have to agree with Eiríkr, it wasn't perhaps wise you to publish this video. I mean, purpose of video was good but... I surprised that Joms didn't start killin' and and fightin' with each other when ya started yer meeting. Their discipline is all but all right.

Heed my advice and kick the troublemakers from yer clan.

h61A6B22F

I was the one that spoke out at 7:40 by simply saying that each and everyone of us is playing this mod to have a good time on it. Now of course if a Shieldwall event is in progress and I decide to show up on it, I also agree to follow the set of rules. And if I feel pissed or don't agree with them I'd simply leave, no need to create a huge drama about it.

However I disagree about cleaning the Jomsborg. Yes some of us might be a little disrespectful and deviate from the group sometimes, but that doesn't mean that we should kick them for it. Every one of us has a mind of his own so yeah if one ****s up, that doesn't mean you must point your finger saying that it's Ragnar's fault or that the Jomsborg isn't "disciplined" instead simply take it to the one, or small group of players.

The Jomsvikingar is the real meaning of a brotherhood, we yell at each other, insult each other and sometimes I feel like an Asylum would be the best place for us to spend the rest of our days, but at the end of the day we laugh it out and have a great time.           

PS. I might've jumped around the subject a little by trying to cover some of the things that are going through my head right now. Nevertheless have a great Sunday, enjoy life! Peace!

I don't believe any of us have pointed a finger at Ragnarr. He has only ever tried to do what is best for his group and ultimately for Víkingr, although he has occasionally been led astray. This has been acknowledged many times by the senior members of Víkingr, as well as in private discussions. :wink:
You're not the only ones here whom play the mod to have some fun. Contrary to belief, I (or the Hæringar) do not engage in the practice of flagellation for self-harm during sessions of Víkingr. I do not doubt that the Fyrningas avoid this practice either despite their ill-tolerance for some of the more prickly aspects of 'humour'. There is however a firm line drawn in the sand as to where (and where not) to halt behaviour of a sour kind.

Unfortunately, from personal experience, the admin-hammer tends to fall mostly on a few familiar Jomsborg names - repeatedly. And again, from personal experience, when this hammer does fall there is an utter outrage by the remaining Jomsborg that I feel more inclined to continue clicking. It is a shame that the few members are dragging down the name into the abyss despite Ragnarr's attempts to admirably salvage everything. I wonder there also if you managed to read the chat log from the video that Ragnarr has posted, I understand though if the ADD-inflicted players (inability to sit still, /Q/ spam, open mic effects) distracted you. There is outright verbal abuse and a disrespect on there that would see the ban hammer fall on Hildeleikr.

It's fantastic that you can laugh things out and feel like a real band of mighty vikings but it always comes at a cost. You must consider your actions (both verbal and physical) against that of the other players with whom you are currently sharing a server with. They may not share the same spirit or joviality that you seem to own. In short; it comes down to respect for oneself and respect for the other. Right now, there is very little of this being passed around. It is currently very difficult to find admiration for any of the Jomsborg spare Ragnarr himself. Your post smells a little desperate; perhaps this torch should not have illuminated certain characters, attitudes or thoughts (as the video shows). It would generally be best, from now on, if you all quit the job of keyboard-warriors and instead gave freedom to Ragnarr to act as he should do - a leader of Men, a Jarl.

He that learns nought will never know
how one is the fool of another,
for if one be rich another is poor
and for that should bear no blame.

ADD-inflicted players?... Who said anyone has ADD just by simply pressing a button? One might start getting bored of being in a game and sit on a chair IG for a couple of minutes, not all of us have the same tolerance for boredom.

Band of mighty vikings... I didn't use those same words but we sure are fabulous. And be sure that we only act the way we do amongst ourselves, of course we wouldn't start making jokes about someone whom we never spoke with while he's in the same TS room with us.

Keyboard-warriors... Well some of the guys don't own a microphone or simply didn't want to disturb Ragnar's speech so that's why they wrote during The Ting. Or maybe you mean on the forums, since most of us have fingers we can all write down our opinions. Ragnar has all the freedom he wants, none of us held him on a leash or anything and that's why he IS our Jarl. However the way I see it in order to stop all the "Jomsvikings are this and that" why don't you and other Admins join us on a Ting event or Training and get to know us better before coming to any conclusions, and I'm sure Ragnar would agree with me.

Prejudice is the child of ignorance. -William Hazlitt

In all instances, I am (and was) referring to in game activities. What you do out of Víkingr is of no tangible concern to me, unless it is directly impeding upon some liberty or providing insult to another player. It's pretty clear that you have no real spine or strength attributed to your words; it's piss-easy to slur another name in a private instance, it's harder to do so in public. I'm not sure what I would classify the levels of idiocy demonstrated in Ragnarr's video (again, this is not a problem of Ragnarr). Hell; one sensible soul (whomever he is, bless) reminded the group that 'this ting is being recorded'. You must however have balls of steel to admit to something with contrary evidence sitting right out in the open, in a publicly made video, in this very thread. Uhuh!

A better suggestion would be for certain Jomsborg members to stop dicking around on Hildeleikr and the SWE event server. None of this would be necessary then. And for peace of mind; I do not discriminate unfairly. It just so happens that a clan tag makes it easier to illuminate larger problems in certain groups. Tagless players drift on the wind without much care or abandon, tagged players drop like a stone when hit with something they don't like - group mentalities and all that.  :smile:

And with that, my part in this discussion is now over.

Dromichete said:
  why don't you and other Admins join us on a Ting event or Training and get to know us better before coming to any conclusions, and I'm sure Ragnar would agree with me.

Prejudice is the child of ignorance. -William Hazlitt

I agree,people can ask me if they would like to join our Trainings.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
Hell; one sensible soul (whomever he is, bless) reminded the group that 'this ting is being recorded'.
I did (also was the one recording).

As for the matter at hand, I for one do not wish that one or more members should be kicked from the clan.
However, it is wise to take these things in consideration for the good of the clan, if I may speak so boldly.
As Publilius Syrus once said: "pardon one offense and you encourage the commission of many".
I think measures must be taken, like a lowered level of tolerance, or establishing officers to keep the order.

And, since we are representing a militairy order of legend, we might want to keep their description in the clan itself if we are to call ourselves Jómsvikingar.

For instance: "Once admitted, the Jomsvikings required adherence to a strict code of conduct in order to instill a sense of military discipline among its members. Any violation of these rules could be punished with immediate expulsion from the order. Each Jomsviking was bound to defend his brothers, as well as to avenge their deaths if necessary. He was forbidden to speak ill of his fellows or to quarrel with them. Blood feuds between members were to be mediated by Jomsviking officers. Jomsvikings were forbidden to show fear or to flee in the face of an enemy of equal or inferior strength, though orderly retreat in the face of vastly outnumbering forces appears to have been acceptable. All spoils of battle were to be equally distributed among the entire brotherhood. No Jomsviking was permitted to be absent from Jomsborg for more than three days without the permission of the brotherhood."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jomsvikings

Guis, guis. I feel guilty. As I see it, you people became more violent and rude to each other from all the time I was absent and couldnt share my donkies with you. Unfortunately I dun have donks right now on me, so maybe this substitute polo replacement will do.
LpFMWlH.jpg
Now hug.

Not being funny, but I reckon you Jomsborg lot have killed this fragile mod community off. Not seen any remote signs of recovery since the event split, and the private clan server tonight didn't help matters. Oh well. Nice goin' and that.

Gibby said:
Not being funny, but I reckon you Jomsborg lot have killed this fragile mod community off. Not seen any remote signs of recovery since the event split, and the private clan server tonight didn't help matters. Oh well. Nice goin' and that.
Well, a one-off clan match is not going to have any effect on the community, and I don't think the reasons for the decline of casual play can be so easily blamed on a single factor.

Not quite. A good number of us either weren't in TS or do not have a functioning mic at the moment. The rest had a ball there, though I'll be hard pressed to recall a single order being yelled...  :razz:

Back
Top Bottom