[MAP] Erebor : The Lonely Mountain (WIP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello again,
this link is my last scene, lot of work to do but hey looks great :razz:

When i go ahead in some direction will include more information.
Salut
Almogaver.

The only problem with your maps, yes they are beautiful and well detailed.  But they are very FPS laggy which is why no one can use them.  Take it easy on the props an details this time, and make sure to use the bare minimum needed for a good map, functioning factions, a good commoner town ect...

I have very good computer and last map I got about 30 - 50 fps, for most people that equals 10-20 FPS.

Just some helpful information and feedback before you get real far in. <3

CPU: AMD FX-4350 piledriver 4.2ghz
RAM: 8gb
GPU: Ice Q Radeon HD 7870
MOBO: ASUS whatever

Not better than an i7 and Titan or anything, but pretty decent.

Before duke tritus added 100 interiors to our VS port I was getting 90-110 FPS on VoS.

Then I got 56 or so.

reTARDIS said:
Btw, which graphical pack are you using?

His last map had way different colors, I think he just uses the paint function, instead of just plain textures.

The FX is definitely holding you back in PW. It's about the same IPC as the Phenom II X4 965 that I just replaced with an i7 3770k, and the improvement is staggering. GPU is fine.

I will go Intel next build, the amd model I got is top of the line for AMD at this point, is was their brand new piledriver for gaming 4.2 ghz clock.

I had the same problem with tera, i hate tera, but I might of enjoyed it more if i got more than 12 FPS in pvp battles. 

edit: your right splintert, my almighty FX 4350 is not as powerful as i thought.  Low end i7s practically double my cpu power.  but if i switch to intel i'm going to have to switch to nvidia.  -_-

Salva said:
Looks interesting. There will be a underground faction?
Maybe, under the mountain its placed a cavern system with buildings, a recreation of Erebor with stronghold, mines, forge all thats suit u expect found in a dwarf city.

Morbid said:
The only problem with your maps, yes they are beautiful and well detailed.  But they are very FPS laggy which is why no one can use them.  Take it easy on the props an details this time, and make sure to use the bare minimum needed for a good map, functioning factions, a good commoner town ect...

I have very good computer and last map I got about 30 - 50 fps, for most people that equals 10-20 FPS.

Just some helpful information and feedback before you get real far in. <3
Thanks for advice, im trying to not use much details, low trees props, etc. but large maps are hard to balance.

reTARDIS said:
Btw, which graphical pack are you using?
Cinematic compilation by DOMA_  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=199149.0
gokiller said:
Is there an actuall settlement in the mountain or not? (representing Erebor) I could only see that small gate.

Rest looks good. :smile:
yes there is under construction a stronghold and caverns sytems.

Thanks u all for your opinions.

SAlut

The trick to trees and high fps is you have to use the same tree, plant prop.  For the whole map. Detail with terrain and paint instead of props, and you should be good.

This scene is intended as adventure mode with light touches of rival factions within the same city. to thrive in relative quiet will take some diplomacy.
Start the game being a commoner flowing downstream, moving away from the Mirkwood misfortunes. you can appear in either of the 2 banks of the river.

Locations and some tips
[MIlturn]
On the south bank of the river is the village of Milturn, a quiet village of hunters and herdsmans, trainable for commoners. a place rich in fish, meat and wood.
A wooden tower with a wooden wall, defend the village, has a capturable flag belonging to the faction Milturn (catchable only, no props to join this faction).

[Esgaroth]
On the north bank of the river is the most populous city in the region, renowned in the stories of the battle of the five armies , has been recovered several times from destruction .
The first thing you see as you approach , some houses half-submerged ruins and harbor, this area is known as low Esgaroth , here is the stable to the left of the road. A large wooden bridge takes you to the top of the city, here you can find the local tavern , the crafthall, and one of the manor houses. Two bridges connect this area , one to port and one to the residential area, where the other three mansions are located.
In the tavern you can train traveler and craftsman, for commoners , here you can also train ruffian and brigand , for outlaws.
In crafthall are all workstations that can use a craftsman. Store and armory included.
The harbor area is where the export items of all kinds.
The four factions starting at Esgaroth do it with the same troops ( engineer , doctor, footman , archer , sailor , lord ,serf ) . only one differs from the others in the house, the first arriving in the city is the largest of all . Each has two flags one inside the home (main ) and one on the port ( secondary) .

[Retden]
far east across the lake. A rustic but inviting village perfect for commoners fleeing the turmoil from Esgaroth (if applicable). the land is rich in timber, grain(unique resource map), plants, iron, salt(unique resource map), hides and meat. but lacking in craftsmanship, there are workshops and products to buy, but not many.
the inhabitants of this area are usually healers, serfs and militia, trainable for commoners. a wall surrounding the village intermittently. A small harbor on the coast with some export items, this port has a capturable flag, belonging to the Retden faction (catchable only, no props connected to this faction)

[Ruins of Dale]
All the lands between the mountain and Esgaroth are ruined by the dragon and the battles that took place later, these ruins are often dangerous places for travelers. on top of a hill, lies the fortress of Dale, former home of the Valley King and the ruined city surrounding it was once the capital of the kingdom.
Within these walls live the last remains of the kingdom, the lancer the only cavalry unit around the map there are also heavy cavalry. Rumors on relics of ancient times are heard. The fortress of Dale has a capturable flag (this faction is playable).

[Erebor]
The city's been uninhabited for long intervals. The defenses of the city are a large stone wall with a single door followed by a small valley where the river is born, here the defense complex rises before reaching the city. Erebor has few comforts, only rich in mineral resources. The fame of the mastersmiths of Erebor is legendary and still can learn this profession in the forge, also can be trained crossbowman at some point in the city.
In the forge you can find the best weapons and armor available at the scene, along with several treasures abandoned in different parts.
It can be considered to Erebor as the only "full" fortress
there are other ways to access the interior of the mountain, with hidden traps and challenges.
  one capturable flag on top of the city belongs to the faction of Erebor, (this faction is playable)
1sfr.jpg

entry points
commoners: along the river forest
Outlaws: in the cage, on the road.
Esgaroth factions: four entry points within the private home and one entry point outside Esgaroth.
Dale faction: four inside the ruins of the fort  and one in the ruins of the city.
Erebor faction: at various points in the city

mechanics and unbalanced factions
basic factions are 4 which are in Esgaroth , have everything they need to thrive , a varied selection of professions,  armory / store / workshop (shared with the other factions of the city) and a private house with iron gates with locks.
Relative peace would help fill the stockpiles and the economy thrive or might try some of the factions dominate the entire city to get to the same.
but can be a slaughter in a war city , special battles outside the city could decide the course of a war (if you want to avoid a spiral of violence in the city ) .

to capture one of the house / faction , you need a lockpick and someone able to use it or wait for a traitor or an oversight leave the door open . each faction has 2 flags to give a little more time to the defenders.
If a faction is expelled from the city and lost their possessions, they can regroup in Mirkwood in the mercenary camp .

There are 2 factions are unbalanced, Erebor and Dale. They can only train mastersmith/crossbowman and lancer respectively. are designed for role-play even more if you like Tolkien lore and to force them to trade or conquer or enslave other factions/commoners to use as a normal faction.
in the opposite case is the ideal complement Esgaroth factions and may be what makes the difference if you start a war in the city, apart from having access to equipment / resources, unique and rare.

that's the idea I'm developing in this scene.

News, news!

there is a  short intro to Esgaroth factions.

and a system of taxed faction, for control and loot like a feudal army (WIP)
Milturn and Retden tax systems
A Little explanation of the tax system in commoner villages, there is a capturable flag in each village , Faction8 for Milturn , faction9 for Retden linked to a pw_iron_door and a pw_money_chest. They are not playable factions.
Export_items around the money_chest cage will be taxed to the chest in 20% 40% of the value, that’s no affect the price,  the export_items_props will pay you low prices than stockpiles(intentionally lower because stockpiles must be the primary selling point).
The feature is intended to be a tribute to the flag owning faction (supposed to come and open the door take the money, take care of the population and go back to their homes to drink and get drunk).
Well think this open some good situations for role-play or move your faction to control flags around the scene.

Erebor taxes
Erebor is one of the unbalanced factions how I explain in a previous post. They need workers for use  in the mines and supply the city, the workers can be serfs of others factions or commoners classes , anyone with labouring skill. Iron mines , silver mines , gold mines , have export_items very close, with a lower price than a stockpile or export_items of the same type.
This featured is intended to be a way to make automatic money for erebor faction, and a way to make money fast and safe.

what do you find inside a minor faction house at Esgaroth?
Distribution can be different at each house , but the props will be the same.

The iron gates with locks, are the main entrance, one start open ( give you access to  rest_bed / fireplace / private chest /serf-enginer trainer etc.)
the spawn point is on the  basement upper level, only accessible when you die. Have two exits.
1- Jump to low basement level and use a teleport door to undercity
2- Use a trapdoor to the main room.
there are invisible barriers to make useless  any try to kill people at spawn points.

note: Arena/meeting hall
This is a room with lot of possibilities, can be use like a private arena, a meeting hall for private council or escape route.
the three minor house are connected with this room, but all have a sliding door to block the pass to the others. Because of this , is the perfect nexus if a faction own the 3 minor faction houses.

21dla1c.jpg

Hello again,
I put useful information when building things in the scene.
I also add a series of screenshots of places before and after build.

Siege_wall  ---------------------------  4 wood block
Wooden pallisade Tower-----------10 wood block
Wooden pallisade--------------------10 wood block

Trainer construction box------------ 3 wood block
Armory construction box------------ 4 wood block
Decoration construction box-------  4 wood block
Placeholder chest  c.b.--------------  2 wood block

724lcn.jpg
bfrtkj.jpg
w01gf9.jpg
2uzecnt.jpg
6sgepz.jpg