SP Musket Era 1700's Mod [DISCONTINUED]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dark Robin said:
Let's examine the most important quote here...
Captured Joe said:
Those resources were made for GABRILDURO's mods

Which is the same as if Gabrilduro had paid for them, because when you pay for something you're paying them to make something for you, once the original author leaves, the ownership is no different whether the resources were paid for or not. They were made for Gabrilduro, and he can do what he wishes to with them. Also, if you were to win this argument, by your logic, you and Ra'Jiska would no longer have permission for the resources.

If it was made for Gabby and purely Gabby then why does Gabby have the right of distributing others peoples work to other mods?

If someone made something for my mod, and disappeared, I'd assume that they wanted it for my mod and only my mod.

And yes you're right by my logic Persistent Frontier and all other mods using these resources would not be able to anymore, but that's what's fair.

Oh, and you're wrong in saying that "it's as if he paid for it." If he paid for it it would be as if he paid for it, which he didn't.

Let austro blow off his steam hes just upset that his mod that he had such great ideas for exploded when no one wanted to use his official servers and that he created a DRM system for a free mod.

But lets get back on topic for the new guy. There are plenty of other programs you can use instead of photoshop for free also you could try contacting the 1257AD guys they made a warband mod that has the entire map of europe.

gaham1 said:
Let austro blow off his steam hes just upset that his mod that he had such great ideas for exploded when no one wanted to use his official servers and that he created a DRM system for a free mod..

You're about 5 months late to that conversation.

How's Operation Iraqi Freedom going? Did those 15 pages help at all? Oh, I guess not.

Fight.gif

How about dem Druids wanting to make a 1700s mod, eh?

Just a reminder folks, before posting look at what you're about to say and ask yourself "Could I say the exact same thing without a needless and childish personal attack on another forum member?".

Austro said:
"So then what does taleworlds do with resources without ownership? OSP them all? Ban them from use? Require permission from someone who didn't make them or pay for them?"

I don't know the answer to that, only Taleworlds does.
I would have thought this was already well established common knowledge. Or at least common sense.

No one may use another persons work without their permission. This means either a) Explicit permission (you have contacted them and they have given you permission) or b) Implied permission (they have released their work as an OSP or have said "anyone can use this").

If neither of those permissions are met then you may not use their work. It makes absolutely 0 difference if they are active in the community or not.

And to be perfectly, 100% clear. You cannot 'transfer permission', if someone gives you permission to use their work that does not mean you can then pass that work on to someone else. Only the person who made the work originally retains ownership of that work unless they explicitly state otherwise.

And yes this does mean that Persistent Frontier is in violation of the rules (If Gabrilduro was given permission to redistribute the work or 'use it as he saw fit' then that changes things, but if not then PF is full of uncredited 'stolen' work). Will have to look into it to decide what to do on the matter.

Moss said:
Just a reminder folks, before posting look at what you're about to say and ask yourself "Could I say the exact same thing without a needless and childish personal attack on another forum member?".

Austro said:
"So then what does taleworlds do with resources without ownership? OSP them all? Ban them from use? Require permission from someone who didn't make them or pay for them?"

I don't know the answer to that, only Taleworlds does.
I would have thought this was already well established common knowledge. Or at least common sense.

No one may use another persons work without their permission. This means either a) Explicit permission (you have contacted them and they have given you permission) or b) Implied permission (they have released their work as an OSP or have said "anyone can use this").

If neither of those permissions are met then you may not use their work. It makes absolutely 0 difference if they are active in the community or not.

And to be perfectly, 100% clear. You cannot 'transfer permission', if someone gives you permission to use their work that does not mean you can then pass that work on to someone else. Only the person who made the work originally retains ownership of that work unless they explicitly state otherwise.

And yes this does mean that Persistent Frontier is in violation of the rules (If Gabrilduro was given permission to redistribute the work or 'use it as he saw fit' then that changes things, but if not then PF is full of uncredited 'stolen' work). Will have to look into it to decide what to do on the matter.

And I fully support you in that matter but you also have to take 1 additional thing into consideration.

If the resources by the original owners were originally made for Gabby's first mod "1755 Old Frontier" and the owners of those resources disappeared thereafter, does that not mean that Gabby is in violation of using resources made for 1 particular mod "1755 Old Frontier" for other mods as well? Specifically 1776 American Revolution and 1860's Old America?

This is how I see this entire situation for anyone that is a bit confused:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12243880/gabby.jpg

I'm perfectly fine requesting Ra'Jiska remove all resources from 1755 old frontier from Persistent Frontier, however if we're required to do that, I don't see why 1776 American Revolution and 1860's Old America and all other mods using those resources wouldn't have to do the same thing.

Oh, you want to help Druidic with his mod? Mentor him? Great! Good luck on the 1700s Mod, Austro! :grin:

Those resources were made for Gabrilduro. Since the original owners have left, it is my opinion that he can do what he wants with them. If you want to keep up this stupid discussion that only harms yourself and your own mod, PM Moss about Persistent Frontier using resources you think it doesn't have permission for, he has a different opinion than me, as stated above, and you will have much more success with him than in a public thread. It surprises me how bringing up that .py editing is better than .txt editing causes you to start flaming Gabrilduro, who, despite using .txt editing, has managed to make a few pretty good mods.

Again, it depends entirely on the wording of the agreement between Gabby and the people who made assets for the original mod.

At this point I'm not inclined to request anyone to do anything. If any of the people who made those art assets comes back and has an objection then yes, I'll likely ask them to be removed from whatever mod they request. Because the mods are all well established and no one has complained it seems prudent to be lenient for now, but for future reference what happened (if it did happen the way described) is not okay.

If anyone has any more questions about the use of other users assets in mods and permissions, please feel free to PM me about it. Otherwise back to the threads topic folks.

Moss said:
Again, it depends entirely on the wording of the agreement between Gabby and the people who made assets for the original mod.

At this point I'm not inclined to request anyone to do anything. If any of the people who made those art assets comes back and has an objection then yes, I'll likely ask them to be removed from whatever mod they request. Because the mods are all well established and no one has complained it seems prudent to be lenient for now, but for future reference what happened (if it did happen the way described) is not okay.

If anyone has any more questions about the use of other users assets in mods and permissions, please feel free to PM me about it. Otherwise back to the threads topic folks.

Thank you for clearing that up Moss.

And I hope after this, no one will except me to be grateful to Gabby for the resources used in Persistent Frontier. I am grateful to the people who made them and that's about it.

I agree with capture joe bu it's sad for creator's topic to see it like a duel place ... I think  :mrgreen:

Best luck with ur project Druidic and sorry if this became more a "Gabrilduro's" Topic...  :roll:

I was not even aware of it ...and I honestly think that is very rude to start an argument on other people's Topics, like Austro did.
....expecially when a new member is asking for help, like in ur case.

It would be more correct to link the argument to a specific Topic or Mod's Thread (in this case 1755, for example)

Thx to the many ppl that said their opinion, nevertheless. As I said, I did not even know about all this going on till few hours ago.

Once again ...Good Luck!
Gab

GABRILDURO said:
Best luck with ur project Druidic and sorry if this became more a "Gabrilduro's" Topic...  :roll:

I was not even aware of it ...and I honestly think that is very rude to start an argument on other people's Topics, like Austro did.
....expecially when a new member is asking for help, like in ur case.

It would be more correct to link the argument to a specific Topic or Mod's Thread (in this case 1755, for example)

Thx to the many ppl that said their opinion, nevertheless. As I said, I did not even know about all this going on till few hours ago.

Once again ...Good Luck!
Gab

You said not to open any new threads in the 1755 sub-forum, plus if I brought anything up concerning resource ownership issues you would have just locked the thread.

Austro said:
You said not to open any new threads in the 1755 sub-forum, plus if I brought anything up concerning resource ownership issues you would have just locked the thread.
1) How do you know that unless it happens?
2) If it does happen, PM an admin and show that he locked your thread, it will lend more credence to your cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom