Any vegan/vegetarian armies?

Users who are viewing this thread

RaVeN

Sergeant Knight
Were there any vegan and vegetarian (practically speaking, does not have to be morally) armies and warriors in history?

As far as I know Persians as a whole (except other ethic people among Persian political influence area) did have a vegetarian diet because of their religion. They did not eat animal products.

ancalimon said:
As far as I know Persians as a whole (except other ethic people among Persian political influence area) did have a vegetarian diet because of their religion. They did not eat animal products.

Achaemenid/Sassanid Persians under Zoroastrianism?

:idea: - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_vegetarianism

ecf68bf94fd8.jpg

cc54f91be7a9.jpg

war_ancient_India2.jpg

indiancharty.jpg

shivaji%255B1%255D.jpg

tfvgb.png

96c292b5d0.jpg

islamicarmsarmorpage78.jpg

cholakingdom.jpg

RaVeN said:
ancalimon said:

I don't think Persian Zoroastrians practice vegetarianism. Apparently that's unique to the Indian sects.

Docm30 said:
RaVeN said:
ancalimon said:

I don't think Persian Zoroastrians practice vegetarianism. Apparently that's unique to the Indian sects.

Zoroastrians were definitely vegetarians but there were other ethnic groups or Persians influenced by other ethnic groups among Persians that were not Zoroastrians and vegetarians.

I remember reading something written by Persians speaking of meat eaters as if they were aliens.

matmohair1 said:
ancalimon said:
I remember reading something written by Persians speaking of meat eaters as if they were aliens.
:mrgreen: you sure it wasn't the quote about us Arab, lizard eaters!

36f8e30433.jpg

What I read was not this but it has some information:  http://zoroastrianheritage.blogspot.com/2011/07/were-ancient-iranians-zoroastrians.html

Apparently, some evil people came and thought them hunting. After that they (or at least some of those sinners) started to eat meat. Regardless of this, most of the Persians today that are not assimilated into being Persians suffer from lactose intolerance which would suggest that their ancestors did not eat animal products since it's genetic.

Dead flesh was such a taboo among Persians that they did not even bury their dead but left them lying where they died or sometimes left the dead body on a stone for the vultures to feed on them.

By the way, what the hell is that thing! :smile:

Yeah but it looks like to me vegan protein diets are based on calculations that require knowledge obtainable through the use of modern science. I dont think Romans knew how much wheat and dairy their soldiers needed to consume in order to compensate for the lack of meat. Am I wrong?

The fact that there have been vegetarian soldiers throughout history certainly suggests you are.

Modern science can tell you why such a diet works, but experimentation and good old empirical evidence can tell you that it does.

My deduction to your explanation is that they did not formulate a nutritional data, the amount of food they ate just happened to be sufficient for them to sustain muscles.

Allegro said:
My deduction to your explanation is that they did not formulate a nutritional data, the amount of food they ate just happened to be sufficient for them to sustain muscles.
And your evidence for this claim, Mister Assad?

Back
Top Bottom