Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 4 - Flexible Entries

Users who are viewing this thread

<p>Happy New Year to those operating on the Gregorian Calender and a round, warm hello to all. “Blog!”, they cried and it was written. 2013 has been a year of growth for us at TaleWorlds and with each passing month, work intensifies on Bannerlord. The new year has already started with the achievement of 100,000 likes on our official Facebook page. It feels like a great milestone and we'd like to thank everyone for all the support. Now let us tell you a little bit more about making Bannerlord.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/5

twdd_04_aserai_siege_2.jpg
what is the first guy on the left holding? is he  maybe an engineer?

Austupaio said:
Arvenski said:
Give us decent ****ing screenshots, and then we'll be able to find those details.
If they did that, then everything that looks just like Warband would be more obvious. Sieges still being based on ladders is a deal breaker for me.

I think the key difference between Warband sieges and Bannerlord sieges as we see them now is that you can have both ladders and towers at the same time, and not just either/or and only one at that. Having multiple points of entry is actually a significant improvement over Warband's single route, which inevitably led to a hilarious cluster**** at the top that any player with a two-handed weapon could win.

While I would like to see siege artillery, I'm not too sure that it's viable. That's asking for a lot of new features to be added just so you can avoid M&B's main selling point, which is its melee combat. To do it properly, you'd need some approximation of physics, because people would undoubtedly want partial or complete destruction of walls, towers, and gates, which means you'd need some kind of logistics meta in the SP campaign so you can't tear down a castle on Tuesday and then defend it in pristine condition on Wednesday. You'd also need to balance it, especially if they could be player-operated, because a player on any kind of siege artillery is going to be even more unbalanced than a player with a bow in Warband. It would require severely limited ammunition or poor accuracy, an incredible cost in time to assemble, and it would have to be a tedious bastard to operate so you couldn't blast the garrison to bits before they can effectively engage your forces. Speaking of which, how do you keep a player from standing their army beyond the range of archers and blasting fortifications to bits? Do you give the defenders some kind of defensive artillery, like catapults or ballistae on turrets? That'll be great fun in a siege, when you get impaled by a ballistae at the very beginning of the fight. :roll: All of this, just so you can look at walls fall down instead of fighting on top of them face to face.

Austupaio said:
Sieges still being based on ladders is a deal breaker for me.

What do you want the sieges to be based on?

medieval_squirrel said:
Graphics make someone really want to play a game even if the game sucks...

:neutral:
What have AAA games done to people!?

crodio said:
what is the first guy on the left holding? is he  maybe an engineer?

That is actually very interesting. That is probably one of the hints/teasers Lust was talking about.

The Dark Robin said:
Hey everyone! New Bannerlord screenshots!!!

[insert Cinematic Compilation bs here]

Har har.  :roll:

Cinematic Compilation is bs? Well, let's do a little comparison here:
26.jpg
Vs.

Or, if you prefer a video comparison:

Vs.

One looks better than the other here, and it's not Bannerlord. Yes, I see the big "Work in Progress" but come on, an upcoming game with a full team of people working on it should at least be better than a mod for a game from 2010. :???:

That's not to say some of the other screenshots don't look better, though. The face comparison, as well as many of the first 12 screenshots shown, are much better than Warband, even with the Cinematic Compilation, and the graphics don't matter as much if the gameplay is good. :smile:

So yeah thanks for the update, But what about addressing the issue of Archers in castles and cities who DO NOT EVER use arrow slits in towers or gate houses or anything for that matter all they do is bunch up on top of a wall or the top of a tower that annoyed me to no end in WB the AI does NOT know how to use the castle defenses very well. So just more ladders then eh? With more options on where we can attack from Okkkkk that's cool, But that's still not very exciting. So what about siege weapons? No hint of that in there what would  medieval siege warfare be like with out bloody siege weapons????? So we have towers and ladders is that IT? Then you talk about making sieges more rewording?? As in what? Do we get to pillage and Burn a city and get a huge chuck of money? The sieges in all the past titles were very repetitive. It would be nice to have the ability to construct a row of wicker shields made out of hide or wicker that has to depend on the Money the player has to build them, if the player has no money then he has to use ladders only and take a lot of casualties, a rich player can afford to build fancy hide covered towers and rows of wicker shields or larger number of siege engines, its boring to just click a button and off we go up the ladders and onto the walls slash and cut for a few minutes and very little if ANY strategy is used.

Lord Kite said:
Will you all stop complaining! Geez...

What do you mean stop complaining? Have you ever heard of something called consumer reviews? I'm not getting this game for free, I have ever right to say whatever I like because its a business, they survive on there good Name and the quality of there product, if its just a repackaged version of older games well that's not going go over very well with a lot of people and a Backlash should be expected. After all they are in competition with other companies. This is Not a Total War style game not even in the same family of Games I hear a lot of that on here, Its a medieval  simululator/RPG with a sandbox back drop, I don't give a rats ass about a thousand troops on the battle field I want CONTENT that's what I am after, I get very BORED with the same old same old we need at the bare minimum of 8 different variations, of every item sold such as swords and pole arms, there should also be 8 different sets of plate armor that look different even if the stats are the Same, the game LACKED variety, different color sets of wearable items even if there the same item and even if it looks the same....Different color horses again even if they have the same stats.....I'd like a back or white charger Etc. More in a game like this is always better, I should NEVER have to download a mod to get more out of the game.

As far as I know they mentioned having ambushes in one of the blog entries.

Red_Lancer said:
I should NEVER have to download a mod to get more out of the game.

Well that's tough because mount and blade is clearly geared towards modding. I understand how silly it is for a company to expect a third party to do all the work for them, but almost nobody plays unedited native, and not just because of a lack of recoloured items.

Orion said:
Austupaio said:
Arvenski said:
Give us decent ******** screenshots, and then we'll be able to find those details.
If they did that, then everything that looks just like Warband would be more obvious. Sieges still being based on ladders is a deal breaker for me.

I think the key difference between Warband sieges and Bannerlord sieges as we see them now is that you can have both ladders and towers at the same time, and not just either/or and only one at that. Having multiple points of entry is actually a significant improvement over Warband's single route, which inevitably led to a hilarious cluster**** at the top that any player with a two-handed weapon could win.

While I would like to see siege artillery, I'm not too sure that it's viable. That's asking for a lot of new features to be added just so you can avoid M&B's main selling point, which is its melee combat. To do it properly, you'd need some approximation of physics, because people would undoubtedly want partial or complete destruction of walls, towers, and gates, which means you'd need some kind of logistics meta in the SP campaign so you can't tear down a castle on Tuesday and then defend it in pristine condition on Wednesday. You'd also need to balance it, especially if they could be player-operated, because a player on any kind of siege artillery is going to be even more unbalanced than a player with a bow in Warband. It would require severely limited ammunition or poor accuracy, an incredible cost in time to assemble, and it would have to be a tedious bastard to operate so you couldn't blast the garrison to bits before they can effectively engage your forces. Speaking of which, how do you keep a player from standing their army beyond the range of archers and blasting fortifications to bits? Do you give the defenders some kind of defensive artillery, like catapults or ballistae on turrets? That'll be great fun in a siege, when you get impaled by a ballistae at the very beginning of the fight. :roll: All of this, just so you can look at walls fall down instead of fighting on top of them face to face.

Stop making up excuses for the game developers, its simple Napoleon had first person shooting cannons I know this was made by another company but STILL....you must understand we are at a stage of gaming technology that allows such things to be MADE into games :grin: fairly simply.....Someone made them for WB by the way...destructible walls? You cant be serious dude? Games as far back as the OLD medieval total war game had destructible walls So your telling me that TW can't pull off that effect in this day and age? Well better hang it up and go into making something other then games  :mrgreen:

Seems a graphic mod of warband,few units,same feeling of the previous,ONE ladder ONE tower,royal rumble's fight...oh now you can climb ladder! Lol

Talewords please, i hope this is a pre pre alpha and i want believe that u have much more aces in your sleeve.

I'm glad there are devblogs on Bannerlord, but i'm missing the hard facts of the game, like which specific gameplay mechanics will it have that will lift it above Warband's.
I also would not mind, if the "features" tab on the Bannerlord website would get an update at some point.
I guess it's too early to ask for these things.

Anyway, looking forward to a video.

Captain Lust said:
We need to post more side-by-side screenshots I guess :lol:. People are funny.
You might be laughing but you should seriously consider it.
Or better yet, at a later point, a blog with before/after shots explaining the features of the new engine.
Many people can obviously not tell the difference.

[/quote]

Stop making up excuses for the game developers, its simple Napoleon had first person shooting cannons I know this was made by another company but STILL....you must understand we are at a stage of gaming technology that allows such things to be MADE into games :grin: fairly simply.....Someone made them for WB by the way...destructible walls? You cant be serious dude? Games as far back as the OLD medieval total war game had destructible walls So your telling me that TW can't pull off that effect in this day and age? Well better hang it up and go into making something other then games  :mrgreen:
[/quote]

I think the issue with the walls coming down is that the bots may not be so smart as to pick up on the problem, also if the entire wall comes down so many can get killed (Unless they keep falling dmg as it is then cool)

Back
Top Bottom