Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 4 - Flexible Entries

Users who are viewing this thread

<p>Happy New Year to those operating on the Gregorian Calender and a round, warm hello to all. “Blog!”, they cried and it was written. 2013 has been a year of growth for us at TaleWorlds and with each passing month, work intensifies on Bannerlord. The new year has already started with the achievement of 100,000 likes on our official Facebook page. It feels like a great milestone and we'd like to thank everyone for all the support. Now let us tell you a little bit more about making Bannerlord.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/5

I hope they will implement a lager variety of of siege weapons such as battering rams or trebuchets.
Whereas they should take care that these weapons won't be overpowered as well. Castles wouldn't make any sense  if I just could stand out of the archers range tearing down the enemys walls with my catapults.

Excellent blog.
VonTawast said:
As long as the physics were a lot better I wouldn't really complain that much about graphics being the same.
They've kept the graphical style of Warband, yes,
but I see nothing but improvements in all areas - shaders/lighting, characters, clothing/armour etc.
Only exception is the map borders. I hope to see them improved.

NB: Be nice, don't hit each other at the work place guys. You're not the Turkish Parliament  :grin:

Why is everyone saying it looks like Warband when it clearly doesn't?
twdd_wb_bl_comparison_hair_fix.png

It looks similar because it's the same series, and we can see so awesome additions as everyone has mentioned, ladder-climbing, blood decals, raise-able ladders, enterable walls and seemingly cultural faces + everything else we've seen so far just shows bannerlord is going to be fantastic.

We need to post more side-by-side screenshots I guess :lol:. People are funny.

Seems like you're doing a good job of catching the little details. Still missing some quite interesting reveals though I'd say.

EDIT: If not reveals... at least teases or hints.

Docm30 said:
Rigadoon said:
Warband with enhancement mods looks practically the same in terms of graphics. :neutral:

The fact that all previous screenshots have looked way, way better than Warband is somehow made irrelevant by some tiny screenshots where very little can be seen?

Well, no, actually. I was talking specifically about these "tiny screenshots where very little can be seen."

Captain Lust said:

Seems like you're doing a good job of catching the little details. Still missing some quite interesting reveals though I'd say.

Not difficult to miss stuff in tiny screens. :sad:

Am i the only one who noticed this or am i being delusional? From both screens, it appears that the men are working in teams or formations. First screen has one team raising ladder on the left, one team climbing the ladder and another team using the tower. Second screen, (like the way archers bend over the ramparts but wished they spread out more and used all of the slits.) looks like two groups of archrs in square formations. :grin: :smile: :shock:

twdd_04_room_shot.jpg

- Female still standing, in this case apparently struggling with some immersion.
- New poster on the wall, showing organic horse food.
- Window very close to corner with soft edge, perhaps a UV problem. Floor has a tiled texture with clear seams.

twdd_04_aserai_siege_1.jpg

- New face texture to the right, wearing an uncomfortable helmet with the metal on his forehead. His belt mounted quiver rests over a sword in scabbard and appears to defy gravity.
- Barely armoured troops using straight self bows while the ones in quilted armour have what looks like a recurved compound bow.
- 4 kinds of quiver on a single troop type, none of them looking particularly faction appropriate.
- Troop on the left with a leather vambrace looks like an archer, but holds a short stick of some kind, possibly a javelin.
- Wooden floor looks nice.

twdd_04_aserai_siege_2.jpg

- Walls looking high and dramatic.
- Troop on the left seems to hold some comical polearm with an unnatural posture.
- Nearby troops hold short swords with a Rus look about them.
- Swords are held in a very uncomfortable pose with wrists, shoulders and elbows strained.
- One moves to the left for some reason.
- The bloody one has different equipment that is not clearly visible. A dead ally can be seen beneath his shoulder and it might be a ladder in the bushes behind him.
- Higher tier archers from this faction use extremely light straight self bows.
- Perhaps a camera effect distorts the bodies to give them disproportionate upper and lower legs.
- The troops seem severely malnourished.
- Moving up the ladders, there appears to be a choice to climb or to stand still and engage in combat.
- There seem to be two huge siege towers at the walls, but they appear to have been moved by very few men. They would weigh an enormous amount and it shouldn't be possible to use them with only a small force.
- The reinforcement on the sides of the closer siege tower makes little sense.
- Various kite shields can be seen: at least 3 on the nearby infantry troop type and another on the mail wearer approaching the ladder.
- Belt and back mounted throwing weapon holsters are depleted.
- The ground texture lacks definition when compared with the first screenshots that we saw.
- A good variety of clothing, but the grey stuff in particular suffers from illogical dents.

The screens and blog don't say much about the subject of the blog.

The Bowman said:
You could perhaps rennounce to the current entries for archers and add new ones. They would work in the following way: the scener places entry points just in front of any battlement hole they desire. These entries would attract a maximum of 2 ranged units, which instead of moving mindlessly, would stay in a fixed position and shoot from there. Whenever an unit gets killed, he would be replaced by another ranged unit. So the entries I'm proposing should work just like the siege defending point, which is present right now in Warband, but the difference is that they ought to work only for ranged units and be more stable.

Doesn't the current system work just like that? Towers are always filled with archers and a couple will stop at arrow slits, as far as I remember. Maybe some castles have better waypoints than others.

I have to say with your most recent Dev Blog i am getting more keen for Bannerlord now that i know the Siege mechanics are improving Sieges will be way better .... But i must ask do you plan on adding Siege Weapons? Like ballistas and catapults u can use?? cos then it would be a major improvement and would really boost the hype on this game

There are only three things here that intrigue me:

1: NPC's are interacting with props, I.E. climbing a ladder. Wonder what else we'll see in the future...

2: Apparently you guys have a video planned. yay

3: You mentioned bees. We all know what bees you're talking about. >:l

Captain Lust said:

Give us decent ****ing screenshots, and then we'll be able to find those details.

Arvenski said:
Give us decent ****ing screenshots, and then we'll be able to find those details.
If they did that, then everything that looks just like Warband would be more obvious. Sieges still being based on ladders is a deal breaker for me.

Rigadoon said:
Eh. I don't think it's that big a deal for a MB game. The massive improvements to the faces and hair is really enough for me.

You might not be interested, but many of us are. Graphics make someone really want to play a game even if the game sucks, so please dont believe that the graphics arent big deal since they are really important.

Meevar the Mighty said:
- Barely armoured troops using straight self bows while the ones in quilted armour have what looks like a recurved compound bow.
The 'barely armoured' troops have mail under that shirt. Or maybe it's just gray cloth. Who knows, at these small resolutions.
- 4 kinds of quiver on a single troop type, none of them looking particularly faction appropriate.
I don't have a problem with the quivers. I can't see your beef with them.
- The bloody one has different equipment that is not clearly visible. A dead ally can be seen beneath his shoulder and it might be a ladder in the bushes behind him.
The weapon in his right hand is an axe, which is not obvious due to the angle at which it us turned, in a similar way tot he swordsmen left of him.
I suspect he is using a small round shield in his left hand, but I'm not sure.
- Perhaps a camera effect distorts the bodies to give them disproportionate upper and lower legs.
I don't see what you're talking about. The effect here of the odd leg shape is a product of the animation, not proportions, as far as I can tell.
You're talking about the second guy from the left, correct? He is turned more towards the camera, and indeed looks thinner than the other troops.

Rallix said:
Meevar the Mighty said:
The 'barely armoured' troops have mail under that shirt. Or maybe it's just gray cloth. Who knows, at these small resolutions.
I don't have a problem with the quivers. I can't see your beef with them.
The weapon in his right hand is an axe, which is not obvious due to the angle at which it us turned, in a similar way tot he swordsmen left of him.
I suspect he is using a small round shield in his left hand, but I'm not sure.
I don't see what you're talking about. The effect here of the odd leg shape is a product of the animation, not proportions, as far as I can tell.
You're talking about the second guy from the left, correct? He is turned more towards the camera, and indeed looks thinner than the other troops.

- I think they're just bottom tier. It would be bizarre for them to wear mail under that kind of armour. I wasn't complaining, just pointing out the progression.
- Take a look at historical quivers from Turkey and Persia and you'll see what I mean; the shape seems out of place.
- How do you know it's an axe? He does seem to be holding it strangely, whatever it is.
- The shins are much longer than the calves. See if this is the case on your body. I wonder if it's because of a stretching effect at the edge of the fov.
- Everyone looks as though they have been in a hospital bed for years. I don't see anyone who has the physique of someone who does hard physical work.

medieval_squirrel said:
Rigadoon said:
Eh. I don't think it's that big a deal for a MB game. The massive improvements to the faces and hair is really enough for me.
You might not be interested, but many of us are. Graphics make someone really want to play a game even if the game sucks, so please dont believe that the graphics arent big deal since they are really important.
I am fully aware what others think. I was simply stating my own opinion. So you're saying good graphics can attract people to a **** game. It'll get people to play it a bit, and then what? If it's not fun, people won't play it for long and the effort spent in amazing graphics will be for nothing. That's an incredibly poor argument if you want to demonstrate to me that graphics are really important. Which, I might add, is rather unnecessary, since I always consider graphics when I buy games. But gameplay is what is even more important, to me, and I'd rather more resources be spent there.

Back
Top Bottom