Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 4 - Flexible Entries

Users who are viewing this thread

<p>Happy New Year to those operating on the Gregorian Calender and a round, warm hello to all. “Blog!”, they cried and it was written. 2013 has been a year of growth for us at TaleWorlds and with each passing month, work intensifies on Bannerlord. The new year has already started with the achievement of 100,000 likes on our official Facebook page. It feels like a great milestone and we'd like to thank everyone for all the support. Now let us tell you a little bit more about making Bannerlord.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/5

makE BetTer SIEges!1

Well, sieges were always the weaker part in previous titles so it's good to hear they are working on making them better. Single ladder meat grinders were worst....  *shudders*

Also, bigger resolution please  :sad:

Oh, what did you do to Ragnor, now his soul shall eternally haunt Taleworlds.

Ok, so we takled about the negative stuff already, and hope they take this in account, now let's go for new things.

There is actually a second ladder down which has yet to be raised by the attacking troops. The battlements seem to have holes inside of them, through which you can walk and shoot, and the units are actually climbing the ladders peoperly. I don't know much about the AI behaviour, but it seems like they are using their shields differently. I mean, they move forwards while keeping their shield on the left side to block arrows. Interesting thing. Nevertheless, I have noticed a vert strange thing: boots have heels. I can't imagine that thing in any medieval world, and the arrow quivers should still be inclined on like 30 degrees on the lower part of the archer's back (see bodkin/barbed/khergit arrows in Warband).

Check out the third guy from down in ladder, dat shield holding  :???: they should hold them over their heads.

wargod2009 said:
Looking VERY SEXY so far but please remember to fix and improve the THRUSTING aspects of combat as thrusting weapons are currently useless in very close quarters when in reality they should be excelling.

What? Thrusting is broken as all hell if you just turn into the swing.

I think that's a part of the WIP.

On the quiver part, I will go on:
According to Wikipedia:
Back quivers are secured to the archer's back via straps, with the nock ends protruding above the dominant hand's shoulder. Arrows can drawn over the shoulder rapidly by the nock. This style of quiver was used by Native American tribes of North America and tribes in Africa. The Japanese Samurai, also used quivers on their backs, called Yebira, while both on foot and horseback. While popular in cinema and art for depictions of medieval European characters (such as Robin Hood), this style of quiver was never used in medieval Europe. The Bayeux Tapestry shows that most bowmen in medieval Europe used belt quivers.
Source: Osprey books.
The most common style of quiver is a flat or cylindrical container suspended from the belt. They are found across many cultures from North American to China. Many variations of this type exist, such as being canted forwards or backwards, and being carried on the dominant hand side, off-hand side, or the small of the back. Some variants enclose almost the entire arrow, while minimalist "pocket quivers" consist of little more than a small stiff pouch that only covers the first few inches.

So the style we see in Bannerlord actually reffers to tribal warriors from Africa, the Japanese samurai and American natives. :mrgreen:

Leonidas300 said:
What I always hated about the kite shields and board shields in Warband is that these shields were carried in a wrong position:

rhodokguard.jpg

This should be the right position of the shield:

Norman-Soldier-on-Guard.jpg

Agreed, this would be great!

Alene said:
Not sure, but could that be a ladder laying down in the low right corner, and the troops in front are in progress to raise it?

twdd_04_aserai_siege_2.jpg

Good find! You are most likely right! Being able to raise ladders probably means the defenders can also drop the ladders.

The Bowman said:
According to Wikipedia:
Back quivers are secured to the archer's back via straps, with the nock ends protruding above the dominant hand's shoulder. Arrows can drawn over the shoulder rapidly by the nock. This style of quiver was used by Native American tribes of North America and tribes in Africa. The Japanese Samurai, also used quivers on their backs, called Yebira, while both on foot and horseback. While popular in cinema and art for depictions of medieval European characters (such as Robin Hood), this style of quiver was never used in medieval Europe. The Bayeux Tapestry shows that most bowmen in medieval Europe used belt quivers.
The most common style of quiver is a flat or cylindrical container suspended from the belt. They are found across many cultures from North American to China. Many variations of this type exist, such as being canted forwards or backwards, and being carried on the dominant hand side, off-hand side, or the small of the back. Some variants enclose almost the entire arrow, while minimalist "pocket quivers" consist of little more than a small stiff pouch that only covers the first few inches.

So the style we see in Bannerlord actually reffers to tribal warriors from Africa, the Japanese samurai and American natives. :mrgreen:

Well goddamn, I actually liked back quivers more than belt quivers.

Mmmmm...the only thing I could say were "improvements" are just the graphics, the quivers, a guy with some blood in the shoulder, and guys climbing ladders instead of walking on them, but it still looks like Warband, all the troops gathering up tuna like stile in front of the ladder and I might sound kinda dicky, but shadows are just a huge oval....not even sharp shadows.... :neutral:

VonTawast said:
The Bowman said:
According to Wikipedia:

Well goddamn, I actually liked back quivers more than belt quivers.

I don't know about others, but I always avoided the default quiver from Native just because the belt ones looked cooler.

Also please don't listen to some users around here about their "LOLZOR MAEK BETTOR GRAPHICS, DIS LOOKS LIEK WARBAND GG"

What really matters is the gameplay, not the graphics, if you can offer a better and smoother gameplay with thousands of troops and realistic battle system we will be more than satisfied because that is the most important thing that most players of this amazing game are waiting for.

Leonidas300 said:
Also please don't listen to some users around here about their "LOLZOR MAEK BETTOR GRAPHICS, DIS LOOKS LIEK WARBAND GG"

What really matters is the gameplay, not the graphics, if you can offer a better and smoother gameplay with thousands of troops and realistic battle system we will be more than satisfied because that is the most important thing that most players of this amazing game are waiting for.

Agree totaly with you, but graphics are still important dude...I agree that a game should be played for its gameplay but who would like to play a game with the same graphics that have been around for three games and a DLC???

Graphics are not bad but why people think its like Warband because I think postures of npcs still feels highly Warbandish.

Edit: guy above was faster.

This is something I believe no one has mentioned is the fact that I HATE!!!!! that corpses dont have any shadows!!! That gets very annoying (My opinion). And for the sieges, add some ****ing catapults or those huge crossbow **** the Romans used, and I was thinking about those....damn I dont know their name, but it is a huge tree or something which is used to destroy open castle doors. That would be so awsome and like throwing some burinig hot oil to the soldiers would be amazing. :razz:

I like the changes others have remarked on, especially animations and more siege options. But I'm also worried about the AI behavior. What I would really like is if you could position your troops individually before the siege or battle, or indicate places for different groups to gather in a certain formation. So before the battle you would for example be able to set 'Infantry group 1' in the courtyard and have some other small infantry groups guard possible entry points (which I hope aren't necessarily predetermined, as the blog's title suggests). Then you order a few sharpshooters to occupy the castle tower and set the rest of your archers along the wall in a line so they will fire as you can see two of them doing in the second screenshot. Same for the attackers, where you could order your troops to use certain siege equipment to engage certain parts of the castle wall.

Ok there's one thing I'm a bit worried. Ragdoll quality. Can someone confirm that Bannerlord will have better ragdoll physics than that of Warband's? I'd rather have realistic death animations than ****ty ragdolls.

Back
Top Bottom