I want a cheap gaming laptop

Users who are viewing this thread

b00227783

Sergeant Knight at Arms
To clarify, I won't be buying any new games for it, just old ones. If it can run the likes of Empire Total War on recommended settings at a high fps that would be lovely. Also, it would be nice if the laptop didn't cost more than £500, but I can possibly stretch that a bit higher.

I haven't the foggiest clue about this kind of thing but just curiously browsing brings me to stuff like this. Would you say that a laptop like that could run Empire like I mentioned?

I have a laptop with one of these: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+460M&id=93

Any modern iteration of the same card - 650M, 660M, 750M, 760M will do good for a reasonable price. It runs Empire reasonably well other than some CPU bottlenecking on a first gen i7. Shouldn't have a problem with that on a newer i-series.

Either way you will need a dedicated video card which that laptop lacks.

Does it absolutely have to be a laptop? Desktops are cheaper, you know. Are you regularly (weekly) moving from dorm to home, or daily from home to job to home, or something? If not, buy a desktop instead. More bang for your buck.

Maboobs said:
1.) That thing's product number (I think it's the product number) made me rofl.  :lol:

2.) If you're gaming, I wouldn't recommend that laptop. The RAM is kinda lacking, and it doesn't have a video card, as Splintert pointed out. Also, as the others said, "cheap gaming laptop" is indeed a contradiction in terms. A google search says that £500 = about $800 bucks (USD). I got my laptop for $1000 (£600), and it still isn't great at gaming because it doesn't have a video card. If you want a laptop with a video card, afaik you have to get something that's big, bulky, and costs an arm and a leg (they can range from $1000 to $2000 and way up). I admit that computer specs and that sort of thing aren't really my area of expertise, but PCGamer says that I could build a desktop computer for around $1100 that would probably be better than one of those video card-equipped laptops. I think you can figure out what I'm getting at. 

I got my laptop for $200 more than you did and I have two videocards. :U Still just mobile 750s though, so it ain't spectacular. Haven't played a game that didn't run on high though.

Back
Top Bottom