Any tips for increasing fps during the battles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Handel

Regular
I have P 2.4 with 1 GB RAM and GF 6600 and the game worked very smooth with 0.704 version with all the eye-candy on max. There was a slowdown when fighting in a water, but no probs with fighting dark knights or khergit raiders. But now with 0.711 the game becomes jerky when fighting a lot of cavalry...
So any advices what to turn off from the graphics options? Something wich gives noticeable improvements?

water has always slowed down the game. for me, turning dynamic lighting gets a huge improvement. what exactly is your fps atm with all eye candy on?

With the eye-candy on max and much cavalry now it becomes around 27-28. Just a little jerky, but enough not to be able to aim carefully with my bow when fighting cavalry.

for large battles, turn off shadows...u dont notice them anyways and they help up the fps
if the worst comes to the worst and that dosent help- reduce tha battle size a little

I wish we could get rid of all the eye-candy, water, trees, bushes, complex terrain, getting crappy LOD models and whatever other performance tweaks so that we could increase the battle size beyond double or a little more than double.

We'll never see command and control with 40 soldiers on the field, not even 40 on each side, so I would trade the cool small skirmishes for a crappy Arena-like empty plain where I can stage 100vs100 battles, and add an order interface for them.

McPa said:
I wish we could get rid of all the eye-candy, water, trees, bushes, complex terrain, getting crappy LOD models and whatever other performance tweaks so that we could increase the battle size beyond double or a little more than double.

Complex terrain, trees and bushes are more than mere eye candy. They help complicate matters on the battlefield, like obscure your vision or causing your horse to rein. As such, they are an important part of battlefield dynamics and it would be awfully bland without them.

You could lower the battle size if you want to save the eye candy.

Strage thet you gett so bad fps with that comp i got a P4 2,8 Ghz 1GB ram Gforxe 5600 with maximum settings without trubble.

jellywerker said:
HAve you thought about lowering the texture quality or anything? You'll want about 40 fps for fine archery.

I experimented with the texture quality and didn't find noticeable improvement even when reducing it to the min. Maybe 1-2 fps at the best.

Edit: Disabling dinamic lighting may work during days, but is awfull sight during the night battles. All the bodies - dead and alive remain lighted as during the day and are seen as some kind of strange zombies.

You could try turning down the max fps in the configure screen when you first load up. My rig needs all the help it can get, so I turn it down to 50/60 and things seem to run a lot smoother.

Still plummets to about 7 when there's horses or water or trees on screen, and when there's horses and water and trees.. suffice to say I don't play archers much.

Turning off shadows is a huge boost, for me at least. Dynamic lighting isn't anywhere near as much of a drain as shadows.

I've noticed that water fighting slows stuff down more than before.

By the way, what does LOD stand for in relation to models? I gather its something about low detail models.

Crazed Rabbit

I turned off the shadows and the particles. This was enough for about 40 fps instead of 25-30 - almost enough for good archering.

Crazed Rabbit, exactly, it's basically replacing models far away for crappy low-poly things, maybe even replacing them for a sprite like RTW does :mrgreen: .

Bah, spoiled brats. For me a 20+ fps is a rare luxury in all but the smallest battles and definitely is good enough for archery of any kind.

Crazed Rabbit, exactly, it's basically replacing models far away for crappy low-poly things, maybe even replacing them for a sprite like RTW does Mr. Green .

Ah, I see.

That would certainly help.

Crazed Rabbit

not sure how much that would help in m&B , since most of the time either EVERYONE is really far away or offscreen or EVERYONE is in the same place. personally i think that mount&blade is best as a skirmish game, as large battles dont work so well with the ai. my opinion only--i know there are a lot of battle size changer fans out there who wan to kill me now.. :???: :???:

Check the render buffer size. If you've got it too low then your basically using one lane of a four lane highway.

My rig tends to remain at 150 FPS regardless of what's on screen, and the specs are pretty similar. There's no way you should be seeing poor performance from M&B.

Back
Top Bottom