Starship troopers near you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Been discussing this, on another board.
I'm not convinced that personal battlearmor
of the sort which this suit would allow is
all that useful, EXCEPT in special circumstances,
such as urban assaults, where one can't get
tanks into play.

Although, how would the AI mimic finger movement? Or would we be using your own hands while the rest is robotized?
Pulling a trigger doesn't take much- For that, I think the control could(and should, for simplicity) stay mechanical and more or less direct, with the gun fixed to the forearm's exoskeleton and the hand fully enclosed in armor, holding the trigger inside, or something along those lines. But doing something more complicated without (temporarily?)exposing the hand could be problematic.

calandale said:
Been discussing this, on another board.
I'm not convinced that personal battlearmor
of the sort which this suit would allow is
all that useful, EXCEPT in special circumstances,
such as urban assaults, where one can't get
tanks into play.

Well, considering how urban assaults seem to make up much of the battles nowdays...

Cleaning Agent said:
Sustained fire on a heavy piece of bullet resistant material should eventually tip it over. No matter what the power of the gun is.
Depending on the rate of fire of course. If it's infinite amount of bullets/sec it will be tipped over in no time. 1 bullet / 1 min however... not likely.

Wow. This would be a great alternative to wheelchairs. I don't think it is (currently anyways) practical for battlefield use, but it certainly has a lot of possible uses.

Yair Hunter said:
Although, how would the AI mimic finger movement? Or would we be using your own hands while the rest is robotized?
Pulling a trigger doesn't take much- For that, I think the control could(and should, for simplicity) stay mechanical and more or less direct, with the gun fixed to the forearm's exoskeleton and the hand fully enclosed in armor, holding the trigger inside, or something along those lines. But doing something more complicated without (temporarily?)exposing the hand could be problematic.
It's perfectly possible. There's one nutty professor who's hooked his nervous system up to a prosthetic moving hand which is controlled by the nerve impulses sent from his brain. It moves alongside his left hand. I'll try to dig up a link.

There's one nutty professor who's hooked his nervous system up to a prosthetic moving hand which is controlled by the nerve impulses sent from his brain.
Didn't know about that one:smile: But no sense of touch, I assume.

Naridill said:
Yea, I saw that one.
It was on tv a while ago. I heard something else about him hooking up his nervous system to his wife's so they felt what each other felt, but I don't know if that's true and I can't find a source for it.

Leprechaun said:
Naridill said:
Yea, I saw that one.
It was on tv a while ago. I heard something else about him hooking up his nervous system to his wife's so they felt what each other felt, but I don't know if that's true and I can't find a source for it.

I read about it. It didn't work, when they try to send emotions it only feels as if the chip vibrates a little. At least that's how it was in the beginning, he felt confident that they would learn.

Of course I don't know if it's the same person, but I read about one guy that did it, and I don't think it's all too common. He installed a chip in his arm too, making electronic doors open automatically when he got close so he didn't have to press the button.

Silver said:
Leprechaun said:
Naridill said:
Yea, I saw that one.

He installed a chip in his arm too, making electronic doors open automatically when he got close so he didn't have to press the button.

Lazy bastard.

Supposedly is was to show off, and it worked according to the interview. His co-workers were apparently very jelaous... Maybe the buttons were really far away from the door, because it's not that cool...

More reason to develop EMP devices for us little guys. (starts dismantling microwave)
Where is Glubco when we need them!!

****. I want one of these. I got a big fat nail in my leg, and I'm stranded downstairs with crutches... I want a cool thing like those Matrix 3 battlesuits. With a gun preferably. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom