Starship troopers near you!

Users who are viewing this thread

*Artillery rains down on pinned down and encircled men*

"WHERE THE ****S OUR FIRE SUPPORT?!?!"

*Suddenly, drop pods rain from the sky*
*Heavily armoured men step out*

"Don't worry guys, I may not be able to fire a gun or run very fast but I can sure as ****ing hell lift! *demonstrates on 6 paint cans*"

Although I realise this is an early model, I'd understand if the military didn't give a crap. They're always reluctant to take aboard new ideas anyway.

It's precisely the military that are funding this sort of thing. The military have been heavily influenced by the book Starship troopres, you know.

The main problem with these suits currently, is that they still require an external power source.

Power armour, awesome. Step one of Fallout :grin:

. . .Well step one of Fallout would be the US annexing Canada, but we can skip that part.

Ingolifs said:
It's precisely the military that are funding this sort of thing. The military have been heavily influenced by the book Starship troopres, you know.

The main problem with these suits currently, is that they still require an external power source.

Indeed.

My favorite book is even required reading at West Point.

As for the suit? I'd never even touch that thing.

I'm wary enough of machinery in war. I served in a tank.

As far as I'm concerned, that's about as far as things should go.

Humans should use machines and computers to support themselves in war, not rely on them.

An4Sh said:
This suit seems like crap for any military, who wants his men to be slow moving easy targets just so they can do a 100 push ups without sweating?
Are you honestly unfamiliar with the concept of powered armor?  Letting said soldier carry far more lets them add heavier weapons, more ammunition, and more armor. 

Merentha said:
An4Sh said:
This suit seems like crap for any military, who wants his men to be slow moving easy targets just so they can do a 100 push ups without sweating?
Are you honestly unfamiliar with the concept of powered armor?  Letting said soldier carry far more lets them add heavier weapons, more ammunition, and more armor. 

I'm no military tactician, but I get the feeling that all that added bulk (from both the suit and the extra cargo) would get in the way in urban settings  :???:

Merentha said:
An4Sh said:
Did you see how slow the suit moved? Won't matter how much ammo they can carry when enemy soldiers can just keep firing armour piercing rounds at them.

Big ****ing dealing, the Garand semi-auto rifle prototype could kill you just as easily as it was suppose to with the final version.

An4Sh said:
Big ****ing dealing, the Garand semi-auto rifle prototype could kill you just as easily as it was suppose to with the final version.
You do understand that this is a whole different scenario. Guns had existed for hundreds of years before Garand semi-auto, power armours are a completely new 'innovation'. And besides the mechanisms in that suit are a bit more complex than those in the Garand. :razz:

A whole squad equipped with these things wouldn't probably be a good idea, but a mixed squad of regulars and powerarmor users could end up becoming a very effective combination.

Grunwalder said:
Ingolifs said:

Indeed.

My favorite book is even required reading at West Point.

As for the suit? I'd never even touch that thing.

I'm wary enough of machinery in war. I served in a tank.

As far as I'm concerned, that's about as far as things should go.

Humans should use machines and computers to support themselves in war, not rely on them.

Why? Do you honestly think military technology will stagnant? It has to progress. This is what I meant about the military's inability to adapt. Aeroplanes, machines guns, tanks. All were thought to be useless, now look where we are. Any nation that gets the jump on new technology has a massive advantage until other catch up.

I wouldn't say the failed. Brilliant idea and would have been devastating if they'd come along a few years before the adoption of proto-fighter planes.
They certainly had a massive moral damage on the British in World War 1, people were so paranoid they reported floating balloons as zeppelins.

An4sh, seriously. That thing isn't even a fully functional prototype, it's more of a conceptual prototype. And it can move a lot faster than shown in the video, you didn't see him try very hard. And while armour-piercing rounds work really well in games I wouldn't bet that they'd be overly effective when a soldier can carry hundreds of pounds of steel protecting the body and be firing at you with a gun 5 times bigger than yours at the same time.

And for other things it's good too. Imagine having an enemy pursuing you that can march about as fast as you run with body armour, ammunition and heavy weaponry, and hardly be out of breath as you fall down on the ground out of exhaustion.

't will be interesting when each gun will need to be like a modern anti-tank cannon, to pierce these things...

Silver said:
An4sh, seriously. That thing isn't even a fully functional prototype, it's more of a conceptual prototype. And it can move a lot faster than shown in the video, you didn't see him try very hard. And while armour-piercing rounds work really well in games I wouldn't bet that they'd be overly effective when a soldier can carry hundreds of pounds of steel protecting the body and be firing at you with a gun 5 times bigger than yours at the same time.
Depends on the armour piercing round and the weapon of course. SMG shooting steel-core APs? Probably not. Heavy machinegun with depleted uranium ammo? Probably (depending on how much steel can you actually put on a person).

Morgoth2005 said:
't will be interesting when each gun will need to be like a modern anti-tank cannon, to pierce these things...

Or just a laser and boil the person inside the suit with it... That could probably be done, if not now, then in a few months, if research was put into it. Could probably be done without the soldier noticing it until the armour gets hot too, and then it's pretty late to notice you're under fire...

Ilex, it's not that many people that are walking around with heavy machineguns with depleted uranium ammo. It would probably be the same persons wearing the suits actually, since they would be able to carry the weight comfortably and have the resources to get the weapons.

Laser are invisible, mate :razz: And they have pretty long range, as they're used to shoot down missiles, and can follow the soldier around pretty well unless he finds cover.

Edit: Damned spelling.

Yes but lasers that'd have that power need to be huge. You're going to notice someone wheeling that up to you. And what are the chances that a man in a high powered battlesuit is just going to be standing in a flat field? More than likely he'd walk behind a building/wall and you'd be fuxxed.

Back
Top Bottom