My Let's Play of Prophesy of Pendor; tips for newbs and veterans alike!

Users who are viewing this thread

noosers said:
Aldrahill said:
Cornelius Sula said:
Hahahahahaha. It was so funny when you realised you lost quaelis gem  :mrgreen:
Great stuff!

I have never been more angry at myself in PoP :sad:

Stuff you lose due to defeat is kept in the inventory of said party.
If you´re fast and defeat that opponent before someone else engages it, you´ll be able to regain whatever you lost. A Qualis Gem in your case.

I... how did I never realize that? I could've taken it back :sad:

Leonion said:
Cool videos  :grin:, but dude, your inventory is a mess. :shock:
How can you even play having such a mess?

Cool stuff ('to use/distribute later') on top, then food, then loot ('to sell') in the bottom. Simple, effective and you never have to look for anything.

I know it looks like I'm a slob, but there's order in the mayhem!

I just hate having to move everything around all the time :razz:

Been a bit lazy recently - had to catch up some articles I was behind on for the website I write for, so been out of action :razz:

In any case, here's part 18!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn1hsVDWMa0&feature=youtu.be

A short one today, with another short one tomorrow! Then back to normal :razz:

I have to affirm this oath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuDsffBI15k&feature=youtu.be

Here's the short one, had to redo the first bit of audio because of a bug but all sorted now :razz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsY6F-Va2ds&feature=youtu.be

Everytime I see one of these, it makes me want to do one of my own. Especially since I'm a voice actor, so that'd probably catch a few people.

But then I always wonder how I would keep it interesting, and I've never actually dabbled with recording software before.

I suppose that first part means you're an inspiration. Keep up the good work, Marmalade Man.

Jude said:
Everytime I see one of these, it makes me want to do one of my own. Especially since I'm a voice actor, so that'd probably catch a few people.

But then I always wonder how I would keep it interesting, and I've never actually dabbled with recording software before.

I suppose that first part means you're an inspiration. Keep up the good work, Marmalade Man.

Someone cutting in onions in here? Thanks friend, that really makes me smile!

If you want to make something just... do it! I'm getting behind on my recording because I've preparing to move out last little while, but hoping to get back into it.

With regard to finding ways to keep it interesting, just set yourself a goal and stick to it. I'm making Lady Bearington be an awesome god damn Lady of Pendor, and put the Bear With A Halberd on every bloody castle is the world. So... it all springs from that.

ON THAT NOTE: Here's another episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXgkIEMTTgE

Currently on episode 8, due to internet being down for 3 days, and am currently cringing every time you leave collected loot in your inventory that you aren't using (weapons, armour, several stacks of arrows when you use a crossbow), especially when you say things like you don't have much money. Still an interesting thing to watch, especially as you don't seem to let yourself fully heal much, which makes me hope you eventually acquire Ansen.

And once more! Sorry for the LONG break, very little internet access! Regularly scheduled videos recommencing! Travelling over the summer, but have tons of videos saved up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScxPBb73Elg&feature=youtu.be

Hey man, I just wanted to say Good Luck on your LP. I was doing an LP of this before I upgraded my Monitor and couldn't play without lag cause my PC is weak :razz: I wanted to start it back up but my graphics card crashed when I get into a battle for longer then 2 minutes, overheat issues so I can't even play until I build my new pc :razz:

Anyway, ramble aside good luck, I think I'll watch through the series when I have time :grin:

Also I noticed you don't have a custom thumbnail for your videos yet. If you want I can make you one rather quickly. You would either need Photoshop or GiMP to edit the base image to add episode numbers but GiMP is free and easy to use :razz:

Tips:

1. You only need to kill 1 enemy in rd 1 of the tourney, 2 in the second rd and 3 in the third round. You don't need to fight after that (you can just quit) and the arena master will allow you to progress to the next rd.

2. It's almost always better to be a mercenary in the early stages of the game (pre-150 cap or so) because the pay is better and you can't really request castles to be given to you yet. You also get big bonuses upon joining up. You can always jump ship if the faction refuse to fight anyone.

3. If you are gonna go with multiple utility heroes, it is best to split up first aid, surgery and wound management. (esp. first aid). If your character is knocked out of the fight but their HP remains above 30% (so not critically wounded) then their skills will remain active.  So putting all your eggs into one basket means if that one guy gets knocked out then your team suddenly doesn't have any skills at all.

4. For skill split, you definitely want to have someone focusing on pathfinding (tracking is rubbish), surgery, first aid and engineering. Those are crucial for mid game when you are going through tons of fights and are trying to siege the enemy. Because there are also other useful skills (like wounds management, tactics, spotting etc.) You should have 2 people doing nothing but pump INT. I group them as 'utility' and stick them in a corner of the map when fighting starts to keep them safe - ensuring that surgery/wounds/first aid always kicking in.

5. Are you maxing persuasion? I noticed you don't have all the companions despite the fact that you have more than enough cash for them. 10 persuasion means a full stable of companions. might be worth investing at least a few points in.

Hey guys. I have a question, and this might be the right place... i think heh.
First off - i love this mod, its challenging, has its own flavor and is genuinely fun (though frustrating at times) to play.
But there is a problem i got so let me just get to it. Also if this aint the right place to ask, feel free to delete this post (though if you could in such a case toss me a link to somewhere where i could get an answer, that would be great). So the question:

I know PoP is supposed to be hard and everything but, do you think its fun-fair that a spawn army of 3500+ rather powerful mobs attacks your city, and, while they zone in like crazy in numbers about 5-7x of yours, you get, bout 10 defenders to hold them off per wave ? And the ranged one dont even spawn... 
What the heck is this supposed to be ?! because this just aint playable, and i am sure as hell when i was the attacker there was a lot more units defending that wall, butchering my troops.... not sure if this is some kind of stupid adjustment targeted at the player once he becomes the defender. This is not a challenge. Its bloody impossible, let me tell you that.

And dont, please dont BS me with "you just need to get more experienced as a player" and such. No matter how pro a player you are, there aint no way in hell you gonna survive a siege this absurd when you dont even get the proper force to fight them (i got around 300 top tier - non Noldor guys (pointing out just in case) in the castle.... would have more but that big blob keeps attacking the city repeatedly, wiping the garrison clean every time, and i just cant reinforce it that fast to get more than couple hundred bodies in there) T__T

.... city i am talking is Poinsburk. And i do remember while laying siege to it, that the enemy had a lot more people on the walls, than what i am allowed to field....

So any type of help would be much appriciated. Now dont get me wrong. I dont mind to battle it out, even if that number is just ridiculous.... the thing is, i cant do it with like 10 defenders per wave while they swarm me with 50+ bodies.

I hope i dont sound to angry, but believe you me, that i am irritated at the very least for there s simply nothing i could do and its getting annoying to lose my city repeatedly to a mob army, since the opposing faction then rolls in before while i gather and train new units to defend it, and takes it over like its nothing.

**On a side note: The thing is, sometimes when i enter combat it does not spawn my troops. Its spawns me in, maybe few of my companions but not a single soldier.... while enemy charges me in full force. Just a thought if this is some kind of bug occurring with spawning your troops in different battles (on field, during siege, while defending a castle, etc) or something.... ?  :/

Myrdin said:
Hey guys. I have a question, and this might be the right place... i think heh.
First off - i love this mod, its challenging, has its own flavor and is genuinely fun (though frustrating at times) to play.
But there is a problem i got so let me just get to it. Also if this aint the right place to ask, feel free to delete this post (though if you could in such a case toss me a link to somewhere where i could get an answer, that would be great). So the question:

I know PoP is supposed to be hard and everything but, do you think its fun-fair that a spawn army of 3500+ rather powerful mobs attacks your city, and, while they zone in like crazy in numbers about 5-7x of yours, you get, bout 10 defenders to hold them off per wave ? And the ranged one dont even spawn... 
What the heck is this supposed to be ?! because this just aint playable, and i am sure as hell when i was the attacker there was a lot more units defending that wall, butchering my troops.... not sure if this is some kind of stupid adjustment targeted at the player once he becomes the defender. This is not a challenge. Its bloody impossible, let me tell you that.

And dont, please dont BS me with "you just need to get more experienced as a player" and such. No matter how pro a player you are, there aint no way in hell you gonna survive a siege this absurd when you dont even get the proper force to fight them (i got around 300 top tier - non Noldor guys (pointing out just in case) in the castle.... would have more but that big blob keeps attacking the city repeatedly, wiping the garrison clean every time, and i just cant reinforce it that fast to get more than couple hundred bodies in there) T__T

.... city i am talking is Poinsburk. And i do remember while laying siege to it, that the enemy had a lot more people on the walls, than what i am allowed to field....

So any type of help would be much appriciated. Now dont get me wrong. I dont mind to battle it out, even if that number is just ridiculous.... the thing is, i cant do it with like 10 defenders per wave while they swarm me with 50+ bodies.

I hope i dont sound to angry, but believe you me, that i am irritated at the very least for there s simply nothing i could do and its getting annoying to lose my city repeatedly to a mob army, since the opposing faction then rolls in before while i gather and train new units to defend it, and takes it over like its nothing.

**On a side note: The thing is, sometimes when i enter combat it does not spawn my troops. Its spawns me in, maybe few of my companions but not a single soldier.... while enemy charges me in full force. Just a thought if this is some kind of bug occurring with spawning your troops in different battles (on field, during siege, while defending a castle, etc) or something.... ?  :/

You should engrish better.

My tip regarding defense: get 14 pts in tactics or set combat size to 2k+.

Considering that in a 'normal siege', 200 defenders crumble to 3k+ attackers, this scenario is definitely representative of what should be happening.

So either get more defenders so that the combat ratio is not so lopsided, or man up and take the bad with the good.

Or you do what I do, take to the field and crush those spawns before they reach your city. Those 'rather powerful' mobs are 90% maiden cavalry/armsmen and bandits. You can kill them off with 300-400 units easily.

I don't think you're really meant to win every battle or keep every castle. Although if you shrink the battle size, you should be able to win, even with those odds. If you're character is Int-based and hasn't yet downed some cabbage juice, then maybe not.

bobknight said:
You should engrish better.

My tip regarding defense: get 14 pts in tactics or set combat size to 2k+.

Considering that in a 'normal siege', 200 defenders crumble to 3k+ attackers, this scenario is definitely representative of what should be happening.

So either get more defenders so that the combat ratio is not so lopsided, or man up and take the bad with the good.

Or you do what I do, take to the field and crush those spawns before they reach your city. Those 'rather powerful' mobs are 90% maiden cavalry/armsmen and bandits. You can kill them off with 300-400 units easily.

Not everyone is native speaker bobknight, and some idiosyncratic mistakes can occur, so try not to breath deeply while reading my post due to some grammar mistakes. :razz:

Just joking.... please put that heavy looking axe away ^^
On a more serious note - Yeh that's what i thought. Maidens, bandits etc are all good. Until things like Bearclaw Berserkers and Hero adventurers started climbing the ladder....

I pointed out was the City´s name, for the reason, that each castle, city, etc has different spawn points, and i thought it even has a different number of preset spawns that control how much of each (both attackers and defenders) get to zone in. Though i guess thats not it.

**I will however try the trick with battle size. Might work

EDIT: Ok so i tried to fiddle around with the battle size, and it didn't help at all.  The thing is when i fight enemy lord i get about the same sized force as he is. But when i attack one of the neutral armies, it spawns me with a friction of my force while the enemy gets to deploy pretty much a standard force of what would (normally) be I able to do as well...

Don't tell me that a random Hero Adventurer rolls with Tactic skill 50.... I mean come on, i don't want instant win button, but at least give me a fair chance to fight. Zoning me in with less than 10 units while enemy has 50+.... really ? what is this, sigh...
This is the start of the battle against a 987 Mystmountain army. They zoned in with 60 units, i zoned in with 6......
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/774x484q90/673/VlcYt8.jpg

Is this supposed to be a normal occurrence ? As i said, when i fight with enemy lords, the difference between the army size is.... well... more fair in all honesty. I fought battle where it was 3/4 of theirs against one mine. But we still got about the same amount of units zoned so i could grind them down through several continuous battles.
Is there like no way for this to be even ? If they get 60 guys, well give me at least 50....30 even.... but 6 ?... 6?!  Ha-ha-ha game...

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. Will try to fiddle with it a bit. Might try taking them out in the field to cull their numbers (though it feels like a suicide to be completely honest) a little, or just pump up tactics after my companion reserved for that role levels up a bit.

Wow, such discussion, many insight.

Another video, after too long a wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWb8rQPRhu4

Another video, and I just want to say, I love that this has become a spot to discuss tips and strategy, and I'm taking on board all the advice I've been receiving, so thanks! Currently doing some travelling so trying to keep up with my YouTube uploads away from the computer, so that's fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1NyBndcuqs

Back
Top Bottom