Peoples from Nothern Italy and Alpine area

Users who are viewing this thread

Wlodowiec

Sergeant at Arms
Hello guys, your mod is beautiful, good luck with the work! Being passionate with local history (I'm from Milan, Italy), I will post here some images taken from local/universitarian archeological books. I hope you will find them useful for the mod. :smile:

The pics below are taken from various archaeological books like "Guerrieri, Principi ed Eroi - fra il Danubio e il Po dalla Preistoria all'Alto Medioevo" (Warriors, Princes and Heroes - between the Danube and the Po, from prehistory to the Middle Ages), and "Le grandi vie della civiltà - RELAZIONI E SCAMBI FRA MEDITERRANEO E IL CENTRO EUROPA, DALLA PREISTORIA ALLA ROMANITA'" (The highways of civilization - RELATIONS AND TRADE BETWEEN THE MEDITERRANEAN AND CENTRAL EUROPE FROM PREHISTORY TO ROMAN AGE):

Some pics are upside down or turned, sorry for the mistake.

1462872_1426159477612915_1458345626_n.jpg

Reconstruction of an alpine prince-warrior, VII bc

1385660_1426159550946241_719387814_n.jpg

Rhaetic/Celtic helmet and armour, V century bc; Styria, Austria

1392042_1426159577612905_763020386_n.jpg

Woman clothing with belt, 600 b.c. (highlighted objects are actually found)

1383796_1426159594279570_1673105990_n.jpg

Reconstruction of rhaetic warrior, 400 b.c. (highlighted objects are actually found)

1456569_1426159634279566_300918223_n.jpg

Reconstruction of rhaetic noble warrior, 400 b.c. (highlighted objects are actually found)

1456122_1426159670946229_210927923_n.jpg

various swords found in the northeast Italy, 600 b.c.

1382990_1426159744279555_1817492545_n.jpg

Bronze armor, found in Slovenia, 400 b.c. (it's almost the same to:
16.png
)

Plate_D-Venetic_Fighting_System.jpg

Venetic* Warriors

Liguri036.jpg

Ligurian noble warrior*

319x425.aspx

Ligurian pirate

I will post soon many other pics :smile:

*Also Venetian and Rhaetic peoples were not Gauls (but greatly influenced by the Celtic culture).
**The ligurians were NOT celtic, they were simply "Ligurians". Mixed with gallic and sometimes with etruscans, they were a savage and a fierce people. Mostly influenced by the Celtic and the Greek culture.

Sorry for my bad english. :smile:

Not bad but a bit out of our timeframe, we try to have it closer to 300 B.C. I think I get the factions influences, the Etruscans have heavy hellenic influences with some Gallic and Italic influences too while the Ligurians are more influenced by the Celtic culture and some bits of the Etuscan culture.

Seek n Destroy said:
Not bad but a bit out of our timeframe, we try to have it closer to 300 B.C. I think I get the factions influences, the Etruscans have heavy hellenic influences with some Gallic and Italic influences too while the Ligurians are more influenced by the Celtic culture and some bits of the Etuscan culture.

What you said is not totally wrong! The Etruscans have hellenic influences but the Etruscans themselves influenced the Greek (at least the Greeks of southern Italy), so... Who knows? Anyway, the Etruscans did not have celtic influences, it was the opposite: the celts in nothern Italy were profoundly influenced by the Etruscans, above all in the religion, rituals (abstronomical observatories like those near Como, Varese, Lecco), burials (the incineration) and warfare. However the Etruscan nobility often married with the nobility of Gauls and they exchanged gifts to each other; it proves the halstatt swords in the etruscans burial or the "celtic" names on many etruscan men (like "Catacina" a celt-etruscan merchant mentioned in Capua, his name comes from the word "cath", that in the celtic languages is the root word for "battle"). However the Celts didn't influenced the Etruscans significantly.

For the Ligurians is a bit more complicated: cities like Kainua (modern Genoa) had been founded by Etruscans (Kainua means "mouth", the root word is etruscan). It's the prove of frequent contacts with the etruscans). Anyway, with the arrival of the celts in northern Italy the etruscan influence decrease and many ligurians tribes started to speak gallic. However the Ligurians on the coastline, specially for the trades with Massilia, the greek city in Gallia Togata (southern France), and the contacts with the others mediterranean civilizations, some tribes started to "ape" greek civilization (like the tribe of Genuates). At the arrival of the Romans the Ligurians of the coastline were partly civilized, and the tribes of the Appennines had become very similar to Gauls. I need to add that the Ligurians were poor people, the ligurian panoply were less rich than the celtic one, they did not wear often armour and the swords were rare, they prefer use light weapons like curved knives or the simplified version of the greek "kopis". However the nobility dressed like the celtic aristocracy.

At last, the pics that I posted before are out of your timeframe, it's right, but those weapons were still largely used also in 200 b.c., in various parts of northern-Italy, especially in the Alps where "uncontacted" tribes resisted also after the roman conquest (the Liguri Capillati is an example, in the Appennines). The gallic weapons in the mod are perfect for the Insubres and part of Boii (the Celts in Emilia).

In my opinion if you want to change panoply for the other people in northern-Italy (Venetes, Ligurians, Rhaetians, Taurines, etcetc) you can take those weapons. :smile:

I've read that Montefortino type of helmets and other equipment was heavily present in Etruscan territories so I assumed they were a product of trade/influence of the Celts over the Etruscans but what you say is interesting, right now we're lacking a great amount of resources (models and textures except helmets) on the Celtic side but there's nothing bad about collecting references and information now, quite the contrary, same goes for the Etruscans that are an obvious candidate as a faction for RaW.
Also, do you have any knowledge of the Oscan language (even celt would be good) ? It would be great to know more about it, as for now except a few words related to administration or daily life I couldn't learn much about it. I've been looking a bit at Paeninsula Italica (Medieval II mod) in an attempt to find their sources about it since they seemed to have some military terms.

Seek n Destroy said:
I've read that Montefortino type of helmets and other equipment was heavily present in Etruscan territories so I assumed they were a product of trade/influence of the Celts over the Etruscans but what you say is interesting, right now we're lacking a great amount of resources (models and textures except helmets) on the Celtic side but there's nothing bad about collecting references and information now, quite the contrary, same goes for the Etruscans that are an obvious candidate as a faction for RaW.
Also, do you have any knowledge of the Oscan language (even celt would be good) ? It would be great to know more about it, as for now except a few words related to administration or daily life I couldn't learn much about it. I've been looking a bit at Paeninsula Italica (Medieval II mod) in an attempt to find their sources about it since they seemed to have some military terms.

I know some words in gallic, and obviously various celtic names of the city in northern-Italy (Milan - Medhelan, Ivrea - Eporedia, Brescia - Brixia, Bergamo - Berghém, and others..).
And about the Oscan language, as I told you before, I will find some information soon :smile:

P.S.: another useful RTW mod for the gallic language is Europa Barbarorum!

Yes, I saw the name of the troops! There are various useful names for the cities, the buildings and other... Anyway, for the proper names you can look also here: http://www.celticworld.it/nm_pg.php?gen=1&origine=5&submit=CERCA&wtd=sc
Is an italian website but there are many historically attested gallic names.

Anyway, here are 2 pics that could be useful:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Gallia_cisalpina.jpg

(the name of the people are in italian language but you can understand them equally, I think)

https://causes-prod.caudn.com/photos/1d/Vm/kz/Pz/JL/nJ/eT/OsC.jpg

Ex-voto rapresentative a "Gaesata", a naked fanatic warrior that fight the Romans in the battle of Thalamon and Clastidium. Fierce and much feared, they worn only a "torque" and fight with only a spear.

Tomorrow evening I will post the other photos of my books. :wink:

hey Seek if you don't mind to practice some more italian (but I can help you, if you want) I've found a useful pdf about Veneti tribe :wink:
http://www.focus.it/Allegati/2011/3/14_isignorideicavalli_42895.pdf

something (not many images, just history)about Marsi tribe:
http://www.focus.it/Allegati/2011/3/112_117-marsi_42084.pdf

Italian inhabitants and lads and gents, the Picen cock!  :mrgreen:
http://www.focus.it/Allegati/2011/3/02_nonniditalia_38347.pdf

if you like there is also a italian magazine collection named Focus Storia collection n°8, it contains the full list of articles dedicated to Italian populations (VII - IV sec.)

Back
Top Bottom