New PC Help

Users who are viewing this thread

-Peter-

Master Knight
Wanting a new PC that will be good enough to run Warband and ideally Bannerlord. I don't really play other games, other than older Total Wars.

However, I don't really know what to look for in terms of specs.

Came across this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-6-8Ghz-DUAL-CORE-WINDOWS-7-DESKTOP-GAMING-PC-TOWER-COMPUTER-SFF-NEW-HDMI-/141065265646?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20d82521ee

Would this be value for money? Should I be looking at something better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't buy it. I've had a similar system (Pentium D - 3.4GHz, HD5450. It ran Warband on Medium-Low.. about 20-24 fps)

I'm guessing you have a tight budget?

Also, if you're looking to build a new system that is a bit cheaper, I would recommend going with a AMD APU based system. They're cheap and will save you from buying a graphics card.

I'm not very good at this stuff so my knowledge is very limited. Hope I helped.

Thanks for the reply, any insight is helpful as I have no clue when it comes to specs!

So would I be better off spending a little more for a PC with these specs? ;

Case:      Artix Midi Tower Gaming Case
Motherboard:    GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3
Processor:    AMD FX 4-Core Black Edition FX-4130
Operating System:  Windows 7 Ultimate
Memory:      8GB 2 X 4GB
Hard Drive:    1000GB (1TB) Harddrive
Power Supply:    Atx Power Supplys
Graphics:    EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Ended up buying this;

Quad core Q6600 CPU with Arctic cooler
Radeon HD5750 Graphics card
4GB DDR2 RAM
2 x Hard Drives: 500GB Primary HDD/ 40GB Secondary HDD

For £225, good deal or no good deal?

I don't think that is worth it really. That computer is basically 5 +  years old. The video card is a mid tier card and 3 generations old. At best you would be running most modern games at low-mid settings at sub 1080p (I assume you don't have a monitor that is a higher res.

I built an identical computer to that last year for my parents and spent less.

Kevlar said:
I don't think that is worth it really. That computer is basically 5 +  years old. The video card is a mid tier card and 3 generations old. At best you would be running most modern games at low-mid settings at sub 1080p (I assume you don't have a monitor that is a higher res.

I built an identical computer to that last year for my parents and spent less.

That's pretty much all I'm looking for. I rarely use my PC, but when I do, it's for M&B and the older Total Wars. Just wanted something that would also be able to run Bannerlord.

Was tempted to try and build my own as I know it would have been cheaper but I work 6 days a week and train full time so it would never have got done! Credit to you for building them up yourself though.

And my monitor is actually quite good, bit old but it was like £200 at the time.

SkyTime said:
Assembling a PC doesn't take long at all though. It's literally like building lego stuff.

Does it work out a lot cheaper? Seriously considering building one and selling the one I've bought in a month or so when my paycheck isn't raped by Santa.

Is their any websites for guides? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't even know where to start to be honest. I'm pretty confident with building Lego though so I should be able to manage it.

I'm looking at buying;

Radeon HD 5770 GPU and Phenom ii 965 cpu

How do I find out if these are compatible, and if so, how do I go about making sure a motherboard is compatible for both?

Will be grateful for any help, trying to learn on the go

All gpus would be compatible with any motherboard.

You only have to make sure the motherboard will accept the cpu. There should be some sort of designation on the cpu page to label which motherboard to use (probably AM2 or AM3), then once you have that you just need to find that type of motherboard.

Phenom II are AM3 socket CPUs, and Radeon xxxx/Nvidia xxx are all PCIe 2.0 expansion slot GPUs.

Make sure your motherboard has both and you're more or less good to go.

Kevlar said:
All gpus would be compatible with any motherboard.

You only have to make sure the motherboard will accept the cpu. There should be some sort of designation on the cpu page to label which motherboard to use (probably AM2 or AM3), then once you have that you just need to find that type of motherboard.

Ah thanks, that explains why I couldn't find much on gpu's being compatible.

Splintert said:
Phenom II are AM3 socket CPUs, and Radeon xxxx/Nvidia xxx are all PCIe 2.0 expansion slot GPUs.

Make sure your motherboard has both and you're more or less good to go.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Came across these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-GA-78LMT-S2P-Motherboard-SB710-Micro/dp/B007EZHLEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387361358&sr=8-1&keywords=78LMT-S2P+AMD+760G+%2F+SB710

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-GA-78LMT-USB3-Motherboard-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B009FC3YJ8

Test of what I've learned.. would these be compatible for the CPU I'm looking at? Already bought the graphics card.

Also, what wattage would be enough for these? 500?

If anyone has a minute, could you let me know whether this would all be compatible;

-  AMD Phenom ii x4 965 3.4ghz

-  Radeon HD 5770 1gb

-  "Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P AMD 760G / SB710 Motherboard DDR3 micro ATX Socket AM3+"

-  "Cit 500W Gold Edition PSU 12cm 24-Pin SATA Power Supply"

-  "250gb sata desktop computer hard drive7200 RPM (3.5") (SP2504C)"

-    Crucial 8gb DDR3 RAM

I already have the GPU, CPU and RAM, haven't bought the rest yet just in case.

Yeah, that's pretty small. You might not need much more if you're only playing the M&B series, but I'd still go for 500gb or something. I have 200 or so on my laptop I think, and it's not nearly enough. I eventually had to buy an external HDD and transfer most of my crud there.

Back
Top Bottom