PISA 2012 results

Users who are viewing this thread

Intelligence is not overhyped. Its the notion that it reigns supreme on its own that is a myth, like its supposed indicator called IQ.

Yes emotional intelligence, amongst other smarts, are important. Chinese students get a lot of theory and reasoning, but the system fails to give them adequate application to develop other traits. China needs a massive education reform.

Pillock said:
Give me a wise and toothless simpleton over a cold, unfeeling mathematician any day.
Well, I'll stick with the mathematician if I want my mathemagics done, thank you very much.

And is the simpleton truly wise, or is his wisdom simply an illusion? If he lacks the wits to make an informed decision on life, any insights he might appear to have are just random coincidence.

Mage246 said:
And is the simpleton truly wise, or is his wisdom simply an illusion? If he lacks the wits to make an informed decision on life, any insights he might appear to have are just random coincidence.

If the word applied to a hypothetical person is "wise", it can be assumed that he possesses such a trait as he lacks existential context to cast doubt on his credentials.

RaVeN said:
Finally, don't ask me why PISA has tested three different Chinese cities (Shanghai, Hong Kong, Macao) instead of using a single total score for the entire nation, LIKE EVERY OTHER NATION TESTED.

The education system in Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Macau are different from one another. Also, two of these cities have higher population than some of the countries on the list. So it is reasonable to measure it this way.

I think principally the main reason that these three cities are tested differently is due to them being labelled special administrative regions. These three cities were (mostly in the case for Shanghai) open to the rest of the world for far longer than the rest of China, and where western culture has a very heavy influence in them.

They're modern day semi-autonomous city states to put it shortly.

I found an interesting article on BBC comparing the different US states when it comes to the Math portion of the test:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27442541

The maths skills of teenagers in parts of the deep south of the United States are worse than in countries such as Turkey and barely above countries such as Chile and Mexico.

The study also shows that privileged youngsters in the US, with highly-educated parents, are lagging behind similar youngsters in other developed countries.

This analysis, from academics at Harvard and Stanford in the US and Munich University in Germany, punctures the idea that middle-class US pupils are high achievers.

How US states would compare with OECD member states in maths tests
1. South Korea
2. Japan
3. Switzerland
4. Netherlands
5. Finland
6. Estonia
Massachusetts
7. Canada
8. Belgium
9. Germany
10. Poland