Main Thread - 3.0 released!

Users who are viewing this thread

I quite like the HUD elements. They're unique and quirky in a fun way. Makes things just a little bit silly, which is nice because being serious all the time can get dull.

They look good and fit in well with the rest of your drawings. Keep 'em.

A few questions :

Will the AI utilize better formations in field battles? It seems that leaving the AI as it is in Native would put it at a severe disadvantage as it appears that the key to victory lies in an army's positioning.

How have sieges been changed, if at all? It seems as though expanding the area of operation would benefit your sieges, giving you more options. Will siege towers remain in use? Considering gunpowder has arrived, surely an alternative option such as breaking down the walls would be a better option than a siege tower.

Cero said:
They look good and fit in well with the rest of your drawings. Keep 'em.

A few questions :

Will the AI utilize better formations in field battles? It seems that leaving the AI as it is in Native would put it at a severe disadvantage as it appears that the key to victory lies in an army's positioning.

How have sieges been changed, if at all? It seems as though expanding the area of operation would benefit your sieges, giving you more options. Will siege towers remain in use? Considering gunpowder has arrived, surely an alternative option such as breaking down the walls would be a better option than a siege tower.

I'm probably going to implement one of the formations mods that gives the enemy AI the best advantage with the armies present in this game. at the moment (vanilla ai) they actually handle it fairly well, remaining stationary on a hill if you outnumber them, and forcing you to charge through musket fire to win the battle. i want to see if i can make the ai do this more often, and of course use better formations.

i'm going to totally overhaul sieges and settlements. atm they're borderline impossible to win, so i'm going to make them more pike-and-shotty. first of all i've changed all the settlement types:
- villages will become small towns, some of which have a small fort in the middle which is fairly easy to storm
- "castles" will become cities, some of which don't have walls (shown by the map icon of course) so there will be a lot of urban combat. the defender will be at an advantage in that he'll have musket troops stationed in buildings.
- "towns" will become citadels with multi-layered castles/star forts. they'll be hard to storm.

i'm getting rid of the whole "oh crap we only bought one flipping siege tower for 1,000 men", it kills sieges in native. instead, you, the attacker, will spawn behind a ridge in a siege camp etc, and have to march toward the settlement which is a fair distance away, encountering a good bit of fire from the enemy. depending on the settlement, there'll be an initial large gate/street/courtyard you'll have to fight through, and the enemy will spawn ranged troops in building/towers.

also concerning scenes, I want to make them feel more city-like. the "lord's castle" scene will probably look more like an open-air courtyard or the balcony of a palace, and i might do the same with taverns. for city scenes i'll make them into large open agoras or marketplaces. calradia is a little depopulated for my tastes, especially considering a campaign army consists of 1500+ men while praven is the size of a small village.

This is really a cool concept, I like your ideas and the world you've created! Good work :smile:

One question: are you planning to add mods like freelancer or diplomacy? Or pre-battle orders and deployement?

Diplomacy is already implemented (i used it as a base) but i can't seem to get modmerger to work for PBOD and freelancer. It's low priority right now as i get rid of bugs and improve performance but it'll be in there eventually.
In any case I've got the advanced formations built-in to native working, which imo is more than enough, but I'll put pbod in just in case anyone prefers it.

Edit: I'm gonna base the companions off these characters, and they'll all have unique weapons (might have to devise some way to stop the player stealing them. I'll probably make them really cheap and give them a ridiculous skill req.)

QLFMJfxh.jpg

I'm loving the art you made.  Don't bash me if I'm wrong, but I'm really liking the almost cartooney style of the last picture. 

More and more I'm looking forward to this.

I have a question regarding this picture:

o8xowXY.jpg

How were you able to change the animation for holding the sword while riding? I've been looking all over for something that explains how to do this for my own personal mod I'm making for my friend and I (it's basically a universe he created for a role playing game). Could you give some tips?

The author of this mod: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=244369.135
Released it as osp after the mod died, and in his file were a few unfinished animations which i basically tidied up in fragmotion and used to replace the originals. There are 4 riding animations for non-lance weapons. A quick glance at the module_animations.py should explain it pretty well, i mean the commented-out preamble explains everything.

forexjammer said:
Is it possible to have pike formation it just seems unrealistic to have pikeman charging

Do you mean stationary formations like tercios etc.? Not possible I'm afraid, the ai knows only to charge or to keep pikemen in a long line.

update: I've finished tweaking battles; after a few campaigns as each faction I'm happy with the way battles play out. now for scening :cry:
I've changed morale as well, beforehand routing was a completely pointless feature because it pretty much never happened. now most battles end in mass routs on one side or another, and if you send a unit of pike against musketmen, they're likely to rout before they get there. no longer can you treat your men like robots.
I've added a lot of little changes to make battles feel more realistic, like the trails of arrows and bullets and guns. also certain factions are more likely to form alliances, and i've chosen this based on their proximity and effectiveness together.
once i've done the scenes I'll release a beta.

The graphics and details look fine ! I've never really found others fantasy mod catchy but I think I will give this one a try ! keep going !  :smile:

Edit : I've seen on your screeshots that like phlpp in Gekokujo you are encountering the same problem with the musket reloading, do you think there's a solution or we must be satisfied with that pistol animation which is the current ?

i honestly can't find any musket reload animations that are significantly better, I mean the only thing you can really do is a sort of jerking-off motion with the musket. the native one is the cleanest imo; some of the modded ones try too hard to make the jerking off smooth or "historically accurate".
besides, the other effects involving gunpowder and muskets are pretty good. and my graphics card ain't great (came with the family computer) but it can now run 200 v 200 musket smoke fine, thanks to a few tweaks.

Just finished scening and ai meshing two fairly large cities, courtesy of Jaako's italian buildings and a few texture tweaks of my own.

PnD8zua.jpg
jLHS5Xq.jpg
VyvbUhV.jpg
Pazzo5Y.jpg
rJR5OVn.jpg
x7LmzHN.jpg
r9MtzG3.jpg
jAANEHJ.jpg
EF2wejs.jpg

NmqmMd9.jpg

(These are only from one of the cities.)

I tested a few sieges and they're working exactly as I'd hoped. If I get the time I might record a video, but hopefully I'll have finished the mod sooner than that.
luckily, you'll never have to deal with annoying choke-point sieges again. there are choke points, but the spawn points are quite far away, so there are multiple clashes all over the town. also, in a 1000 vs 500 siege, i was never in a position where i'd be right on top of a spawn point watching large blocks of infantry materialise out of thin air, as either the attacker or defender.
ai meshing is a bastard though, and for now I'll only make 6 or so city scenes.

You should think about releasing your source files when your done. If you really manged to fix the combat in seiges and such then I'm sure most new mods would use sazayn as a base. Just a thought.

I doubt releasing the source code would help, as i only applied a few minor changes, nothing special involving heavy coding like some of the larger mods. The main reason sieges work better for my mod is that I've opened up settlements a lot, allowing soldiers to move freely and not simply hack away at a queue of soldiers going up a single ladder (i absolutely hate this feature. Have you noticed?).
Sure, it's a lot less fair on the defender if he's bought only pikemen. But thanks to the multiple ranged spawn feature in native, your musketmen can tear up even the most heavily armoured troops in these settlements. Simple things like enterable buildings and towers work really well when 50-70% of your army is ranged.

Back
Top Bottom