Author Topic: Main Thread - 3.0 released!  (Read 230019 times)

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL

• BioAfrikaner
  • 🖕IF YOUR EASILY OFFENDED...GROW SOME BALLS...!!🖕
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
  • Faction: Khergit
Main Thread - 3.0 released!
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »

This is an upcoming low fantasy mod for Warband based on 17th century warfare. It will feature five major factions and several minor ones, all set in a land called Kharisir.

Features

Main Features
  • Highly dynamic gunpowder combat with a completely recoded AI, designed to rapidly outmaneuver the player.
  • Dozens of unique battlefields and open siege maps which appear based on world map terrain, designed to avoid bottlenecks and encourage strategic movement of units.
  • Artistically consistent yet well optimised graphical overhauls of every aspect of the game world, including terrain, civilian clothing, smoke effects and armour.
  • A dynamic economy based on population, trade and rebellion, with 14 new buildings to manage each of these features.
  • Realistic recruitment: troops must be recruited from the population of a settlement, and warlike factions may find themselves unable to recruit men.
  • Ammunition supply: armies have a limited supply of ammunition, and must return to their settlements to resupply, else musketmen will be unable to fire their weapons.
  • 13 Thoughtfully (un)balanced factions, from tiny principalities to vast sprawling empires, each with their own unique playstyles and economies.
  • Factions will modernise over time as AI lords build and develop their cities, allowing for powerful rifle troops.
  • A strong focus on strategy and tactics over individual troop statistics.
  • Battlefield morale has been overhauled from the bugged system in vanilla. Troops will rout from the battlefield if frightened, and the careful timing of morale shocks such as cavalry strikes and musket volleys have the potential to break the enemy.
  • Customisable units are available to lords.
  • Rebellions, riots and raids: rebel armies will rise up in rebellious lands, peasants may riot and seize castles for themselves, and enemy lords may sack or even destroy cities.

Gameplay

This mod attempts to remove all the "safe" spots in warband combat, such as magic force field shieldwalls, top-tier spam, and the lack of a reliable counter to heavy cavalry. Players cannot turn peasants into mounted doomknights - instead, commoners, recruitable from villages, wield massed-rank weapons (pike, musket), while noblemen--expensive, few in number and recruitable only from cities and castles--carry other weapons.

Some factions have larger armies and give more recruits than others. These factions rely on their commoners to carry the day - the noblemen among them are only marginally more capable than them. Other factions are still very inegalitarian and expect their highfalauting landowners to lead the battle.

Gone are the days of blind upgrading. Many unit types may be more effective at lower levels in certain circumstances, and some troop trees are considerably larger than others. It might not always be cost-effective to max out all your troops.
Combat is based on pike and shot warfare. Pikemen form the backbone of some of the larger kingdoms, and are present everywhere. Flanking with pikes is esessential. Groups of pikemen can take down any unshielded foe in seconds, but their primary role is protecting musketmen from cavalry.
Muskets are inaccurate at range, but can tear apart even the strongest pike formations given enough numbers.
Cavalry is expensive, and the horses are often weak, but they can dispatch undefended musketeers between volleys. In a battle against massed musket formations, mounted troops are essential in preventing casualties in the large battlefields.

This rock-paper-scissors emphasis prevents the sort of "Blob vs. Blob" or "swadian knight spam vs. Everyone" that makes late game native warband uninteresting.

A WORD ON UNBALANCE:

I specifically set out to make many of the factions unbalanced. However this doesn't mean that one faction will steamroll the others, or that some are unplayable. Some factions rely on large numbers of infantry, yet flee the field at the first sign of trouble. Other factions have a powerful and versatile core of noble soldiers, but have to work alongside a weak and inflexible levy. Yet the elite troops of other factions will best every other faction in most areas, but take a long time to train and are expensive.
In addition, not every faction starts off with the same amount of land. The game is set immediately after the truce of a long war, meaning that some factions have had most of their land taken from them, while others are overstretched. Trouble brews below the surface, and the player must understand the politics of the land in order to prevent other factions declaring war.

Backstory

(click to show/hide)

Factions

(click to show/hide)

Screenshots

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Videos

(click to show/hide)

Sigs:

code:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,291695.0.html][img width=341 height=150]http://i.imgur.com/jM92Sz3.png[/img][/url]

code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,291695.0.html][img width=310 height=150]http://i.imgur.com/hmXDhcr.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,291695.0.html][IMG height=150]http://i.imgur.com/lplVqfv.jpg[/IMG][/url]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:58:08 PM by Jacobhinds »

gokiller

• Count
    • Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198021769623/
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Gokiller
  • WBWF&SM&BVCNW
Re: [WB][S] Sayazn - Historical Fantasy Mod for Warband
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 10:50:25 PM »
Looking sweet, goodluck!

Froi

• Infidel
  • Knight at Arms
    • Steam - Rowan12312345
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • MP nick: Froi
  • WBNWM&BWF&SVC
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »
This Mod seems interesting, I like the idea.  I will be following this.
Froi would know.  He hides naked in the bushes watching everyone fight.
Froi is love, Froi is life.
Froi are you the dead hooker on steam?

Cero

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Reyna al'Sarrdak
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • WBNW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »
I quite like the Middle Eastern/Oriental feel of this mod, based on the screenshots! The first one with the red uniforms and feathered helmets looks quite fetching. Good luck!

• BioAfrikaner
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »
most recent screenshots:

New army uniforms
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

World Map
(click to show/hide)

Map Overview
(click to show/hide)

Rebel Lord: large parties of rebel soldiers
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Bridge battles, courtesy of arch3r (will credit on release)
(click to show/hide)

rebel soldiers
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Zetra_ernat

• Sergeant Knight
  • By the way, I faked every orgasm.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WBWF&S
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »
Very good. :)

Scuba Steve

• Master Knight
  • Jinshi 進士
    • View Profile
    • My website that hosts some San Guo Zhi biographies and useful links for Chinese history
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Reginald_Clarke
  • WBNWWF&SM&BVC
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 03:17:15 AM »
I like your world map textures with the farm plots. Makes it much more interesting to look at and breaks up the monotony of just green plains with trees.
(Formerly Thegn Ansgar)
Trust no-one, wear shoes with reversed footprints, and never sit away from an entrance. Windows count as an entrance.

Hardcore Submod for The Sword and the Axe 5.2
My forum (a general history board): The History Room

Mangowarrior

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Decatholac Mango
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 05:31:07 AM »
Interesting point on the troops and the troop trees, I'll admit I do tire of endlessly slaughtering everything in sight with elite demi-gods, this mod is going to have some promising battles I presume. Best of luck in it's development.

• BioAfrikaner
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
Re: [WB][S] Sayazn - Low Fantasy Mod for Warband
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:36:09 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

• BioAfrikaner
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 12:28:25 PM »
Okay, so I've completed three factions and have been play testing a lot of battles.  I just want to ask if you'd like more pike or more shot in the mod; at the moment it's sort of geared towards large musket armies with a contingent of pikemen to ward off cavalry. But if I decrease musket strength then it'd mean pikemen become more dominant. I'm asking since a few people complain about the oversaturation of musket mods. Either way, I'm giving most of the factions some distinct speciality, for instance one factions top-tier musket unit is pretty good in melee, while another has particularly high damage. But Not in an over the top way - for example the latter might only inflict 20% more casualties than a weaker factions musketeers. So mixing and matching between cultures isn't worth the penalties in morale and the enormous costs of upgrading to top-tier commoners.

So more pike or more shotte? Anyway here are some screenshottes:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:31:56 PM by jacobhinds »

SWAT_1990

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
Okay, so I've completed three factions and have been play testing a lot of battles.  I just want to ask if you'd like more pike or more shot in the mod; at the moment it's sort of geared towards large musket armies with a contingent of pikemen to ward off cavalry. But if I decrease musket strength then it'd mean pikemen become more dominant. I'm asking since a few people complain about the oversaturation of musket mods. Either way, I'm giving most of the factions some distinct speciality, for instance one factions top-tier musket unit is pretty good in melee, while another has particularly high damage. But Not in an over the top way - for example the latter might only inflict 20% more casualties than a weaker factions musketeers.

So more pike or more shotte? Anyway here are some screenshottes:
(click to show/hide)

My opinion: make a balanced game...a few pikes, a few guns, a few arrows etc.

DoctorPainkiller

• Master Knight
    • Steam - DoctorPainkiller
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: Mantis Toboggan
  • WBNWWF&SVC
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
I'd prefer more muskets. It sounds like you're trying to do what WFAS was supposed to do. It looks quite promising so far.

• BioAfrikaner
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
My opinion: make a balanced game...a few pikes, a few guns, a few arrows etc.

The game is balanced, I just want to know in what way you want it to lean. For example at the moment a combined arms force of 40-40-20 pike-musket-horse is the most effective killing machine against anything, including single unit spam. But it might be better to make cavalry weaker/stronger etc, to change the layout of the most flexible and versatile army.

Also there won't be many arrows; some old fashioned nobles might carry a bow or two but other than that, they'll be hard to find and ineffective against armour.

Thanks for the replies though, I'm at a point where the mod could go either 15th century warfare or 18th century warfare.

cwr

• so how did that fuckin go then?
  • Count
    • Steam - cwr1
    • YouTube - UC-L6PNU39-gVmlS_1Wkr0ng
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • M&BWB
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 06:25:16 PM »
Looks cool; good luck! :)

• BioAfrikaner
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »
just finished 4/6 of the major factions and 1/5 of the minor factions :D
i might have this out before February, free time permitting.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Lords of the main faction (sayazn) are the only people in the game who wear plate armour. i've treated them a bit like bosses; some of them have very high bow skills, lance proficiency etc.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

I did my first round of proper campaign mode playtesting, and it's working pretty well considering i haven't implemented PBOD yet. there are a few minor issues due to me messing around with files, but once i finish the last few factions it should be fine to play.

I've also added banner carriers as you can see in a few of the screenshots. upon starting the game each army tends to have a reasonable amount, i.e. 3-4 per army. but i might have to test it more to make sure they don't hoard top tier troops, because after only a month of ingame time, the vassals seem to hire prisoners and you get soldiers in the wrong places.