Someone help me make sense of download limits or limiters.

Users who are viewing this thread

b00227783

Sergeant Knight at Arms
For example, is buffering a youtube video "downloading" stuff. I find my games lagg when youtube is being watched elsewhere in the house or when someone is on facebook loading pictures.

I ask because I'm wondering if NetBalancer can be used to limit how much of the internet they actually hog. This would allow my game to run fine without lagging and they would yes, take ages to load, but it won't matter when they are in front of the telly, they can watch while they wait etc.

It also stops me switching the wireless off outright, they are starting to suspect I'm something to do with it.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for tbh.  :razz:

EDIT: Ok I'm a retard help me do this.

I want to limit all internet except the computer I am using.

How the **** do I do this. All I see is the network traffic for this one.

Alright, it doesn't seem to work.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to make it so other folks on their tablets, phones whatever the **** they decide to connect to this router, will stop lagging up my games. Something easy and simple preferably, I can't make heads or toes of this kind of stuff :sad:

Kind of frustrating being in a 40minute game of LoL and its decided in 10 seconds of crippling lag.

Kevlar said:
Yell at them.

I always do, never works.

They insist I'm being selfish. Godamn son, I wake up just before they come back from work, I get changed, and go to my work, they get the internet for 7 hours. You would think it's alright to have a couple of lagg free games on LoL when I come back from work at 10pm. Nope. I'm being selfish.

You need to do this on your modem since it's the modem that's routing traffic. Of course your modem need to have a setting to be able to do this.

Or, I guess you can make your PC the server and configure it there. This way the only device that's connected to your modem will be your PC and your PC will be between every other device that connect to internet and your modem.

Exactly. Your modem should have a web-GUI for tinkering. Read the manual or google the manufacturer to find a pdf-manual. You should be able to tinker with the ports and whatnot. Especially if you're the only one connected by cable, it should be fairly simple to choke the wireless to something reasonable that still allows LoL. Though lag spikes will still happen - what it helps with, is that your average ping should improve.

It's not really my average ping that is bad, it's usually 60-80 which is totally manageable and what it's always been. What annoys me is when someone on a tablet or phone refreshes their page with adverts and **** in the background, it gives me at least 1kping spikes. It would be nice it just limit how quickly their **** downloads so it doesn't give me crippling lag.

Then you need to choke the bandwidth allowed to the wireless. There's probably a  program that can limit bandwidth on a device basis as well. You just need to get this on the modem/router/hub/whatever.

Also, Chrome+Adblock plus on their laptops. Chrome can import bookmarks from all other browsers.

I hope you are paying for the internet if your are complaining this much. Clearly someone never had to play games on dialup.

Kevlar said:
I hope you are paying for the internet if your are complaining this much. Clearly someone never had to play games on dialup.

I have offered to pay the broadband bill in addition to my 100 pounds a month I pay my parents.

And yes, I have had to play games on Dialup, at least back then it made sense to me that when someone is on the phone I can't play properly, now the internet seems to just randomly **** itself in the arse with a 20 foot dildo.

Back
Top Bottom