Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwr

Well, I got rid of the McAfee antivirus that came with my computer because the trial had expired and it was spamming me with pop-ups asking to buy it. So, I went to the menu on Windows where you can uninstall certain programs, and uninstalled it, all well and good. Then, it told me to complete the uninstallation I needed to restart my computer. So, I restarted. It closed fine, but when it opened, it simply stayed in the "preparing to configure windows don't turn off your computer" thing, and I can't do anything. It's been like that for over two hours now.

Is there something I can do? I tried turning off my computer as a last resort, but it seems to just put it to sleep, not actually turn it off. :???:

Anyone have any ideas? :smile:

I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus, (other than McAfee :lol:) because I ran a scan before removing McAfee, and didn't download anything after removing it, I just restarted my computer. :???:

Edit: By comparison, the first time I set up my computer, and it was setting everything up, it took five minutes to boot up. Normally, it takes about 8 seconds.

Editing for one more update: McAfee threw a fit and started crashing everything I start up. You need to delete it from the program files, then the program files (x86), then after that, it will reproduce into your computer folder, (D: instead of C:smile: and you need to delete that too. Now with the antivirus/virus (which used 18% of my CPU while it was installed) gone, my computer runs like a dream. :grin:

New Edit: Found this video of the founder of McAfee, this sums it up perfectly, I think. :lol:

Try starting in safe mode. Back up any files you need to keep if you're able to get there.

Once you're done with the backup, hit the windows key and type "msconfig"

Open MSconfig.exe, select services, and select all but mcafee crap you see, and apply. Then restart the computer.

Ahh, I got it. Thanks for helping! :smile:

To anyone thinking of getting McAfee, don't. :razz:

I'll be locking this thread now. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom