Note Taking Tablets

Users who are viewing this thread

Lerber

I'm considering purchasing a note taking tablet. I've been at university for five semesters now, and am planning to pursue a phd, which means lots of note taking. I've been reading reviews on the tablets and its a mixed bag. I'm planning on visiting some electronics stores to try out different models, but I wanted to get some opinions, if anyone has used one.

My price range is around <=$600 (USD). I have an ipad I use for reading at home and a laptop I use for other things, so this tablet's primary use would indeed be note taking (over entertainment, etc.) and a detachable keyboard is neither necessary nor desired.

Edit: I would like it to come bundled with a stylus/pen that disabled hand detection.

If you don't need the keyboard you could always get a phablet, see the samgsung note 3.

If you're dead set on getting a tablet though the nexus 7 2013 model just came out and is around $250-$300 depending on size (16/32gb storage). For $600 you could really get any tablet you wanted except for the higher storage apple devices but to spend this much on a tablet alone (for simply notes) seems a bit strange.

Personally for a college setting I would look into getting an ultrabook unless you can't use a laptop for some reason. I can type probably 3x faster than I can write so that would just be easier for me personally.

My major is computer science, which means things that aren't programming, tend to be mathematical constructs and things which are very hard to type (symbology, diagramming, etc.)

Get a surface pro off ebay or something. You should be able to find one around $600

I use one as a vpn portal for work. Having a full OS with the mini display port is very useful. I plug the display port into my TV, and use a wireless keyboard and mouse to work from my couch. :grin:

Using it on a table is easy. If you need a lap device, you can use it without the keyboard very easily. Using it on your lap with the keyboard is very unstable, and I wouldn't recommend it.

If you're desperate for a cheaper option, the ASUS transformer or a Nexus (buy it from Google's store, the knockoffs are ****).

Possibly, I forgot to add, I'm looking for one designed for hand writing on the screen.

Wait, you're a programmer who probably types faster than most of the school, and you want to use script over typing ... why?

http://www.amazon.com/Antique-Design-Assorted-Designs-R-15286/dp/B004LXRYTM/ref=sr_1_2
http://www.amazon.com/Atlanta-Cutlery-Olde-Tyme-Writing/dp/B004DEKJV4/ref=sr_1_7

Have you ever tried typing math proofs or graphs? While, yes, I'm a programmer, I focus a lot on theory, which is much more graph and proof based with many many symbols that are not easy to type.

i.e. Trying to type a directed network flow is pretty damn near impossible.

Back
Top Bottom