Integrity check after crash

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyTime

Grandmaster Knight
Lately my PC has started freezing after a random amount of time spent playing games. Basically what happens is sound starts stuttering, the game lags, freezes and closes after furiously smashing the button to close it. After this everything just lags, can't do anything on the desktop and sometimes it just freezes so I have to restart. After restarting it performs an integrity check on one of my HDD's where the games are located. It also still has my old windows, didn't bother to empty it when I got an SSD, if this might cause any problems.

I googled some stuff about the integrity check but it only brought up answers to people whose checks actually brought up problems, mine just goes by and it doesn't report anything bad and the system works again. The last freeze happened a day or two ago when playing World of Tanks and just now in the middle of Rome 2.

****ing convenient that every possibly problem reveals itself just as I'm about to sell. pls help

E: Had my 1600MHz CL9 ram downclocked 1333MHz (or something like 1373 idk) and set to CL8, set it back to 9 just in-case, the difference shouldn't be that huge anyway.

E2: Happened again, this time my PC wouldn't even go past the loading windows screen so I just unplugged both my HDDs since I don't know which one of them is the one giving problems. Going to do some tests if it starts with both attached again and find out which one of the breaking one.

E3: Plugged them all in and after performing a check on the small windows partition of the same disk which it checked earlier it works again, for now. I have no clue the **** is going on so I'm pretty much counting on someone of you to help me and sporadic googling.

Does the integrity check on the hard drive pass?

Having windows on another drive won't matter unless you updated your bios recently in which case you would have to switch to your ssd as a boot device (you would notice this quickly if the old hard drive had a different os but if they are the same you may want to check your bios).

Crashing like that can be due to heat,driver failures,voltage or a product just starting to break. Without actually knowing your pc parts the first thing I would suggest is updating drivers and downloading a program that can monitor heat/voltage for you (gpu-z can do this) and if you crash you could generate a log to see if anything is out of the ordinary.

The check on the drive does pass yeah. The boot priority also is ok.

I bought the first drive 14.4.2011 and the second 30.6.2011 so they're quite dated. Both are SEA-ST31000524AS. I don't really believe my PC is running too hot, it had that issue a while ago and you could really feel the hot air coming out but ever since I got this crazy ass fan that sucks air in like a boss, it feels temperate if that's a word to describe it.

My drivers should be fairly up to date, I installed Windows and drivers just a little while ago but I'll check if I can find anything new. Might also be my PSU, that too is from 2011 but you'd think it would bring other problems than random freezing when gaming, right?

I'll definitely check gpu-z and the temperatures too just to be sure, it's so hard to tell without actually measuring.

Thanks.

SkyTime said:
My drivers should be fairly up to date, I installed Windows and drivers just a little while ago but I'll check if I can find anything new. Might also be my PSU, that too is from 2011 but you'd think it would bring other problems than random freezing when gaming, right?

If the PSU was failing (like completely) it would just crash everywhere. If your crashing in games the PSU might be failing and not able to provide enough wattage to power the GPU but unless your running some chinese knockoff PSU that shouldn't really happen.

I just bought two new hard drives since I thought my old one was failing but it hasn't yet and it is over 4 years old or so now so your 2011 drives 'should' be fine. You can get harddrive programs (I think seagate has one called seatools) to check if you have broken partitions on the hard drive.

I see, I'll check that program out.

Though just now as I tried to get values out of my card in Rome 2, I tried to start a custom battle and once I pressed start my sounds just ****ed up and the whole game crashed after I heard one of my hard drives start up. Now I can't open up Steam, it gives me some error in Finnish that I cannot completely translate into English but it's something like this: The drive or network this shortcut "Steam.Ink" is related to is not available. Please make sure that the drive or some **** is usable. Or something.

So yeah, the disk crashed, it's not visible anywhere, and won't start up if I try to access some folder. Video card temperatures ran around 40 to 50 celcius

This sounds moderately close to the problems I was having with my laptop. Wipe the drive completely using something like Killdisk, then reinstall Windows using your same serial key.

If that fails, then it's just a harddrive problem and you've nothing to worry about but replacing one of the cheapest parts of your PC.

I have my windows on my SSD, I just didn't empty the disk that I had windows on. Though now after I rebooted, shutting down took absurdly long, screen went dark like normal but pc kept on humming and after a little while it just shut down. Now it failed to start Windows and offered me start up repair which isn't doing jack **** so I just booted up my second PC. Might be that I killed the hard drive, eh? Hope not since I have 700 GBs of stuff on it.

You can always plug the drive into another computer as a data drive to try to extract as much as possible. If it's the drive with all of your programs, then it explains the sluggishness of the OS without a bluescreen. Windows will just BSOD after a failed read/write.

I just disconnected and tried again, started up just fine. I'll try to fiddle around and see if I can boot it to windows and transfer most of my important **** to the other drive.

Thanks for the help!

E: meh it simply won't start with the drive plugged in, I'll have to see if I can do something about it.

E2: Turns out the drive didn't die after all. I don't know what happened but it simply wouldn't start when plugged into my own PC but when I disconnected it and set it up to the other PC it worked just fine, I got some important files from the drive and now I'm introducing it to Killdisk. Might be that I'll just put it back and pretend nothing happened lol.

What the heck could have caused this? Ever since the removal of that drive my PC has been fine, the problems did not replicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom