[ECS] Player Stats

Users who are viewing this thread

Néathar

Master Knight
Hello guys!

We want to present you our little dedication to the competitive Warband „e-sport-scene“. We created a player statistic for the ECS to spicy up this tournament a bit and see if this is something worth keeping for the scene. I will now try to explain you in short how we came up with the idea, who is responsible for this, how the system actually works and in the end you will find a link to the statistics.

THE IDEA

The idea came up, when I first visited the thread Predictions&Voting by Dasvi and Hans. They had already launched it for the Qualifiers of the ECS and they had the idea to give a shoutout to the players who made the most kills throughout the qualifier-tournament. I liked the idea but the more I thought about it, the more I wasn't satisfied by only speaking about the amount of kills some players might make. I said to myself: „What if we do this for the entire ECS? What if we counted not only the kills, but also set them in relation to the deaths and the amount of rounds a player played?“ Back then I didn't know that something similar to this already existed for the UNAC. With these thoughts in mind I turned to Scar and talked with him about it. He was immediately hooked and suggested to bring Folms in. This proved itself to be a good idea, since Folms was motived as well and since he knew about the UNAC. He was the one contacting Cradoc who in turn had been managing the statistics for the UNAC. With us four the team was complete and we finally got started..

THE SYSTEM

When we were thinking of the system for our player stats we wanted to grant two basic things. We tried to make the stats as significant as possible and in the same time as fair as possible. Our stats provide seven disciplines for every single player.

1. The total amount of rounds a certain player has played during the ECS.

2. The total amount of kills a certain player has made during the ECS.

3. The total amount of deaths a certain player had during the ECS.

4. A kill/round-ratio to determine how many kills a player made in relation to the rounds he played. The kills are devided by the rounds played to estimate how many kills a certain player made per round. We included this aspect to give those players who are not allowed to play that often but always make relatively many kills in their time playing an opportunity to shine.

5. A kill/death-ratio to see how the relation between kills and deaths of a certain player is. We think that it is important to see that not only getting many kills is important, but also to die as rarely as possible.

6. A score. We wanted to make it relatively easy to compare the stats of players without having to compare every single discipline mentioned above. That's why we created a formula which considers:

The sheer amount of kills a player made during the ECS
The kill/death-ratio
The kill/round-ratio

and generates a score for every player based on his performances in these three disciplines.

In our stats every player is sorted by the clan he is playing for. Those players who changed their team during the ECS are listed in the last team they played for. In the clan listing, the players are not seeded at all but we also offer three seeded categories:

1. Most Dangerous Fighters is listing the top ten of all players, seeded by the overall score mentioned above.

2. Most Kills per Death is listing the top ten of all players, seeded by their kills/deaths-ratio.

3. Most Dangerous Clans is listing the top five of all clans who participated, seeded by the average score of their players.

Problems with the system

Unfortunately no system is perfect and our system has its problems as well. The first important problem to mention is players who still have zero deaths and may never die during the ECS. Since the kills/deaths-ratio is an important part of the score for a player, it is impossible to give players with zero deaths an adequate score. Why? Due to the rules of maths. It may be annoying but you can try to devide any number for the kills by zero deaths and you will see that it is impossible. We tried to cope with this problem by giving every player who didn't die so far exactly one death. We know that this isn't exactly fair but it's the only solution we could think of without messing the whole system up. If anyone of you has a better solution, contact us!

The second important problem we wanted to mention is the following. Currently we have some players who only played once for some rounds and performed great in these. Therefore they scored a beasty score, which will never change unless they play again and do a bit worse. This way, it may happen that in the end of the ECS, someone is seeded first who only played four or eight rounds. Although it deserves respect if someone performs great in only four or eight rounds, we find that it is not entirely fair to have someone on top who only had a brilliant moment, wheras others who performed great throughout the whole tournament have no chance to score better. We found a solution for this issue, not a perfect one, but at least a beginning. We invented:

7. A bonus score (reliability-score). Based on our opinion that every decent player can have some brilliant moments in a short time period we found that the more rounds a player plays, the more reliable it is that the score he has after these rounds really reflects his personal skill. Players who have a bad day can pull it back by performing good the next day and so on. The bonus score works like this. The more rounds you have played, the more reliability you score. This bonus score however does not add up to the actual score, it just is a possibility to check if a certain score seems to be reliable or not.

THE LINK

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuQ2FOkjgfjAdFJnVDY1dTRtWTRLeE95QVBBUklLY2c&usp=sharing#gid=0

THE TEAM & CREDITS

As I mentioned above, we are currently only four.

Neathar&Scar (Initiators to create player stats for the ECS, first Screenshot-Analyzers)

Folms (Our spreadsheet-guru without whom all this wouldn't look as neat as it hopefully does)

Cradoc (Important advisor who helped me and Folms a lot to create the formulas we needed)

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Well we all hope that our efforts are apreciated by the community and that maybe our system in this or a modified form is able to set a new standard for upcoming tournaments and ligues.

All of you who are still playing in the ECS, you help us a lot if you take screenshots of your matches, even they are streamed. Screenshots are our most important source for the stats, so it would be awesome if we get them in a decent quality as well. We will only take into account, what we can see from official match screenshots! If you leave before the screenshot is taken, or if they are of such a poor quality that we can't decipher the stats, we will just ignore it. Although we hope to be able to complete our spreadsheets as good as possible, we can't be bothered to start checking logs or something.

Now it's your turn. Feedback is appreciated, especially positive feedback of course. You can also critizise us but please keep in mind that we are only few guys actively analyzing the screenshots and that we don't get paid for it. We all do this on a voluntarily basis during our freetime.

Have a great rest of the ECS, good luck and have fun!

Neathar said:
All of you who are still playing in the ECS, you help us a lot if you take screenshots of your matches, even they are streamed. Screenshots are our most important source for the stats, so it would be awesome if we get them in a decent quality as well. Everything else asks of us to go and check server logs, watch streams and all that although it is actually not necessary.
Just wanted to highlight this point. Whenever you post screenshots just don't shrink them or make them smaller. Just keep them in the exact size. Ta.

The idea is good. But what about kill assists? Kill assists are the biggest part of the teamwork, which requires skill. But a melee fight looks messy on stream and it's hard to see the teamplay, we can only see the result of the actual teamplay. The game sadly does not count our assists (like CS games do). But its a nice idea though.

pro.faiL said:
But what about kill assists? Kill assists are the biggest part of the teamwork, which requires skill.
Yeah, man. I agree. Would be awesome if there was a way of recording them, but at the moment it seems impossible.

pro.faiL said:
The idea is good. But what about kill assists? Kill assists are the biggest part of the teamwork, which requires skill. But a melee fight looks messy on stream and it's hard to see the teamplay, we can only see the result of the actual teamplay. The game sadly does not count our assists (like CS games do). But its a nice idea though.

As you said. We'd include it if it was a thing the game actually measured. Since that is not the case, and since you wouldn't even be able to give scores for that by looking at the streams and such, we'll leave that out, sorry. Maybe it helps if you can see this just as a little statistic about which players performed good. I think most of us know anyway that teamplay is the thing deciding the matches and not single players.

I seem to recall a screenshot of an admin tool that showed the amount of damage people had done. The game obviously temporarily handles the data, it would be just a matter of having a mod that would save it.

Really like this. Though I don't have much points because I missed one match and only played four rounds in the other! Buhu :neutral:

It'd be nice to see an "assist"-system. The game counts damage, the variables are there. I don't remember the specific person, but there was someone who reverse engineered the Warband coding when making a mod. Damage to shields is included (due to that is actually counts HP), so that, amount of stuns leading to kills and stuff, wouldn't be so hard if any modder could get their hands on the coding of the game.

I don't think I can do the reverse engineering, since I'm still in uni just starting to learn programming, but if anyone knows a good programmer that could do it (takes time, so probably someone with some free time :grin:), we could probably get a very accurate "skillcounter. :smile:

Nice to see those suggestions and that some people are actually caring. Also note that is is a beta, an idea. It was never meant to be the one and only system. I just think that major changes now the ECS is almost half way through won't bring us far. However, if the core idea will be taken for new upcoming tournaments and if skilled programmers are found, I'm sure it would be worth to include most of the stuff you suggested.

Great work! Hope to see this continued in future tournaments. Maybe it could be split up into classes so we finally see whether Shema or Sikici is the best cav!

Hope to see this when Turkey wins NC 2014

Shemaforash said:
yourNotAlone said:
I think, cRPG already uses a system which gives you points just by wounding enemies.

There's more than just wounding enemies incorporated in that system, including taking hits to the shield, standing close to melee etc

Yeah you get score for anything you do. You can be on the top of the scoreboard even without kills. Pretty good stuff there.

Back
Top Bottom