B Tutorial 3D Modelling & Texturing & Implementing

Users who are viewing this thread

Quintillius said:
If you open OpenBRF and import the .obj model, the .dds texture and create a material (you did so) you have actually made a library. You can save this library as .brf (OpenBRF file) in the ...Warban\Modules\<yourmod>\Resource folder. Use File > Save as. After this OpenBRF can read your .dds texture file which you have saved in the \Textures folder.

Wow. Amazing, it works now. Thanks a lot!

I have a problem. When I try to export a static mesh, nothing happens. I mean I select the mesh--> Right click--> Export static mesh-->choose location-->Nothing. The .obj file isn't there. Pleas help!

Antonis said:
I have a problem. When I try to export a static mesh, nothing happens. I mean I select the mesh--> Right click--> Export static mesh-->choose location-->Nothing. The .obj file isn't there. Pleas help!

I've often had the same problem, but if the .OBJ file is in that folder, just check the name and type the first few letters of it in. Then it will show you the entire file in a dropdown menu, and you can click on it and open it.

Yldrania said:
Antonis said:

I've often had the same problem, but if the .OBJ file is in that folder, just check the name and type the first few letters of it in. Then it will show you the entire file in a dropdown menu, and you can click on it and open it.

Yes, you are right. Thanks!

Many thanks to you Quintillius. Using your tutorial from start to finish, I have learned how to model texture and implement. The tutorial could use a little bit of clarification for the ignoramus within each of us. Otherwise, truly appreciated and a reference for the ages.

I didn't have any problems or unclarified things and following you tutorial I made my first model(a textred prussian uniform). But I wanted to ask, how can I position the UV maps of a model in my liking? For example, the uniform I made keeps "positioning" in very small pieces. I want to be able to make a UV map where there is the chest area as a whole, the back area as a whole, the sleeves, the front part of the breeches and the back as a whole and so one. Thank you!

Antonis said:
I didn't have any problems or unclarified things and following you tutorial I made my first model(a textred prussian uniform). But I wanted to ask, how can I position the UV maps of a model in my liking? For example, the uniform I made keeps "positioning" in very small pieces. I want to be able to make a UV map where there is the chest area as a whole, the back area as a whole, the sleeves, the front part of the breeches and the back as a whole and so one. Thank you!
I recommend downloading a pack with uniforms in subboard OSP Resources .
They all are already UV-mapped so you only need to edit the texture.

If you really desire to make custom UV-maps:
HARD WAY
1. Be in UV-map window (where you can give each face/polygon a colour.
2. Be in edge mode.
3. Select the edges of the chest area and press RMB button => Mark Edges for Cut.
4. do the same with other parts of the uniform.
5. Make sure the first selected edge has a connection with the last selected edge.
6. RMB => Continue => Projection Normal

EASY WAY
1. Be in UV-map window (where you can give each face/polygon a colour.
2. Be in face mode.
3. Select chest area and press RMB button => pick any colour (yellow e.g.).
4. do the same with other parts of the uniform but pick a unused colour.
5. RMB => Continue => Projection Normal

Excellent tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXSu4dI-R3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJbC1ruBYds

Really good tutorial. Took me a while, but I got the bloody axe in the game. :smile:

What I really wanted though was to learn how to retexture armors and clothing. I tried doing it the way you said but it didn't come out right, then I read your next post where you said that this tutorial didn't cover modding armors, so I guess I only have myself to blame for not reading the whole thing all the way through, but still. :\

Ouch. Atleast you should have learned new tricks.
You want to retexture armors? Go to ...Warband\CommonRes => choose armors_b. Export some mesh you want to re-texture (don't export the lod).

Lod = same mesh & texture, but less polygons which improves game performance.

Select your mesh in OpenBRF again. Select the underlined blue 'Material' in the middle at top.
This brings you to the Material tab. Warband has separate files for meshes, materials and textures <= not handy. Now click the underlined blue 'DiffuseA'. Brings you to the Textures tab.

Get the name of the textures (ends with .dds) in your mind and search it in Warband\Textures. Open this file in Photoshop. The texture has however a very bright colour. Change this by selecting:
Image => Mode => 8 Bits/Channe => Okay => Yap, okay. Now you are able to adjust the texture.
Image => Adjustments => Brightness -70. That's my way. Now you can edit this texture.

Upload the image to somewhere saved as .bmp. Import this image in Wings3D and apply to your uniform. If your texture and model is perfect. Export everything to a .brf file as described in main post. There is however one important thing to remember:

Clothing and uniforms need to be rigged (applying human bones to different parts of the uniform so the uniform is 'acting' correct when walking ingame). Normally you should rig with a program. But 9/10 times you can copy and paste the 'rigging' from another uniform.

OpenBRF: Select a native uniform => Edit => Copy. Now select your imported uniform. Select Edit => Paste Rigging. Now save OpenBRf. Do the coding (use native uniform code) stuff.

Succes!

Well certainly you understand, if you're explaining things that you are experienced in to others who may not be so knowledgeable, the message is sometimes too fleeting. Some of the numbers had me a little confused, whether they were decimals or percents. Many times you say open so and so file, but you don't specify which one. Things you clearly know the answers to but not so much a rookie like me.

Atleast your have learned how to model/texture and implement new models.
If more people find some parts of the tutorial vague, please tell me and quote the text.

\\ Main post updated

Mwahahahahaha! It lives! IT LIVES!!! :twisted:

Hmm... it still needs work though. Next stop, the Texturing Masterclass, I suppose. Still, thanks for helping me getting this to work! :grin:

Alrighty then, so I've been practicing, trying to learn a few tricks here and there and this is what I've come up with

mb4.jpg
[/url]

Took me a while too. Just in case you can't tell, these are retextures of the vanilla game's arena tunic and woolen cap. The shadowing is a little off, but I really don't know what to do about that. Now, on a scale of 1 to 5. 1 being absolute crap, and 5 being OSP-worthy, how would you rate this? Be kind, but honest. :smile:

Great job! For now I would give it a 2. But keep in mind my first model would be rated at -1  :mrgreen:.

I guess you have some experience with Photoshop, since that logo is yours?
Well here's a trick to get your cloth rated at 5:

Open the texture, and paste this texture:

images

Now play with the opacity, so it does not cover everything. As result your cloth should be more realistic and worth a 5 Good luck!

Hey Quintillus, I have a question. I am retexturing a set of Napoleonic stuff(uniforms and boots and helmets). Following you advice it goes awesomely well for the first time. But I wonder if you have any websites with free textures to suggest me. I found a couple, but they don't  have variety and all the best textures are in sites where you have to pay. I would be grateful if you have anything in mind.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom