Expanded Floris Expanded Companions - Seven new companions for Floris Expanded

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi. I made seven new fully fleshed out companions for Floris 2.54, EXPANDED only. I was initially making it for silverstag but I came to the realization (after it was all said and done) that silverstag has no source files. So I added them to Floris instead.

The seven new companions are as following (Click spoilers for image preview)

1) Gawain, a childhood friend from before you came to Calradia. He's a prince and he's in some trouble, so he came to Calradia looking for you (and help). All rounder type
SdDt0kt.jpg
2) Luka. Her father married her off to her uncle, and her uncle died and her father stole her inheritance to pay off his debts. She's specialized in tactics.
8eav2Cf.jpg
3) Sahand. He's a ex-hashashin (assassin).
P6ahm8H.jpg
4) Jeanne. Her father is murdered, she sets off to unite Calradia somehow. She's a commoner who starts with high charisma and leadership, making her a good lord candidate.
qD6oaki.jpg
5) Kabuki. He's a warrior from a far away island nation to the west. (Okay, he's a samurai- the in game explanation for strange armour)
N8iHcIi.jpg
6) Taheer. He's a retired bandit chief, and a bit of a potty mouth. He specializes in looting (I was also going to give him high prisoner management for use in silverstag, but... yeah.)
l5ekN7N.jpg
Warning - adult language
7) Andrei. He's a mercenary that basically plays off this trope http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DumbMuscle
starts with high strength, but only has 2 intelligence and 2 charisma - don't worry, this is balanced around how the native companions work - he doesn't have more attribute/skill points then what ymir would have at the same level. Well, since he has 2 intelligence (all companions will at least start with a base of 4 intelligence) he has two less skill points than every other companion, that he can't recover through leveling up.
JAoGQhI.jpg
A couple of things
1) The new companions are balanced point/statistic wise around the native companions.
At level one, native companions have 15 attributes and 8 skill points to spend and then +1 more skill point for every attribute put into intelligence past 4 (Their stat base is 4/4/4/4, with Andrei being an exception to that rule - his base is 8/4/2/2 [Balanced so that charisma/intelligence are his dump stat]).

2) As far as I am aware, the points that are in inventory management are wasted on companions. If they started with +2 in inventory management, I put the points into another one of their skills that their attributes will allow them to have. Katrin is the exception, since she's the canonically useless specialized party member.

3) I nerfed Floris (Sorry Floris!) After doing the math, he had six more attribute points than he was supposed to, and 9 skillpoints more than he was supposed to have. I removed six of his intelligence and then removed the 6 points he had in inventory management, and then I deducted about 1 point from many of his skills until he matched the native companion bases.

4)Taheer is a rough character and he likes to curse, so if you don't like cursing than keep on reading because we can fix that.

5) I have also included the source files from the devsuite that I edited. This includes module_strings.py, module_scripts.py, and module_troops.py. If you understand how the devsuit works, then you can edit the dialogue anyway you see fit. This also means you can look at the dialogue before you even load up the game.

There are two OSP included in this pack:
Retexure - Maxmilian Armour by cow7488
http://mbwarband.nexusmods.com/mods/3625/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D3625%26preview%3D&pUp=1
SacredStoneHead's Samurai Armour Pack (Armour unique to Kabuki, can't be purchased in a smith)
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,230171.0.html
And lastly of course, the Floris team and all the great modders who's works have been included into Floris pack.

Okay, last thing I want to cover. I mostly made these companions and changes for myself - I will admit, they're not perfect, but I did spend a lot of time working on them (+20 hours). I think they're a good base though, if I didn't I wouldn't even bother releasing them. So I'm not going to shy away from criticism - let me know if you find something that you think needs changing. Let me know if you think the grammar is bad somewhere, or if the character's personality is inconsistent, or if the writing itself is just plain stupid. There is also no method to who the characters like and dislike - the native/floris companions won't interact with the new characters, and some only have one dislike, where Sahand has no dislikes at all (He's stoic, he doesn't care about peoples personalities, for him the end justifies the means, so he has no king support opponent or morality issues).

So even though I mostly made these for myself, if even a single person is interested, there is a high possibility I will release updates. If there's enough interest, I wouldn't mind fixing them up until they're a satisfactory add-on to Floris itself (assuming Floris wouldn't mind getting a little involved with the project.)

DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vdb6012wd08k99t/Expanded_Floris_Expanded_Companions_1.1.rar
MODULE FILES
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ydslxt7ezx4klox/Expanded_Floris_Expanded_Companions_module_files.rar
UPDATED STRINGS+TROOPS.TEXT
http://www.mediafire.com/download/m2lz020h5ogh0wn/Updated_Strings%2Btroops_text.rar

INSTALLATION
Just merge Expanded Floris Mod Pack 2.54 with your currently existing one, and choose to overwrite (don't forget to back up text files).

I hate it. Floris becomes kinda out of further development and there, guys like you keep making awesome content forcing me to PLAY YET AGAIN for some damn HUNDRED HOURS I'll never get back. And still, yes still, I love this, and you have all my fracking gratitude!

The characters presentation you made are really convincing, at least for now. Feedback soon!

I added my preview images to the OP, to show what each companion looks like and a sample of their dialogue.

Spoiler: Kabuki can speak Calradian.

@Xenomion
I have the same problem. I have hundreds of games to play, including Rome 2 which has finally been patched, yet I still cannot resist the call to warband and urge to commit to projects like these.

But yes, be brutally honest to me about the companions. I don't really do creative writing much, but I generally had an idea what the companion roster in warband was missing, so I wanted to fill in those niches, which resulted in these new companions. There were points where I just wrote stuff so I could get them finished faster, for instance, Gawain dislikes Jerumus for a very childish and contrived reason. I was thinking about changing his personality clash to matheld - which would match what he says about nordland in his home description story.

At any rate, I've been awake for 30 hours now. I'll check back tomorrow.

If Jeane is a commoner, that kinda makes her a risky lord candidate actually. That is, unless you plan on making an all-commoner faction.

Other than that though they all seem quite interesting. :grin:

I'm glad you guys are enthusiastic about the concept but now I'm a little bit worried you might be disappointed  by the quality of the writing. I won't lie when I say it has its high points and it's low points.

I think for a lot of the characters I did pretty good on their backstories, but sometimes I'd say their dialogue might seem forced and kind of dry and un-lively. Some of my ideas were good, but poorly executed.

Like, Taheer comes straight out and tells you who he is; he's an ex-bandit. Someone asked "Why is this guy telling random people he was a bandit?" I just assumed, hey; you're in a tavern, everyone's drunk or drinking. Chances are no one will care. But then again, I guess it's the same for say maybe, Ymir. Why is she telling random people that she ran away? What if someone were to trick her and ransom her? It's just that doesn't happen, because you're the player, but he still had a good point and maybe I could have wrote it better.

I think the hardest part for me to write was probably the king support dialogue, where you would send the companion off to raise your right to rule. Kabuki and Gawain were easy to write because their methodology was set up from the beginning as to how they could possibly support you, them being ambassadors to a foreign nation which could endorse you and set up foreign relations. Andrei, Luka, and Taheer definitely need revisions. Basically Andrei wants to promote orphanages for children who lost their parents in the war, Luka wants to form public education, and Taheer is basically just going to sort of lie to everyone. Sahand is an assassin and he'll do what he does best, where as Jeanne believes she recieved a prophecy from God(s)(?) that you're the chosen one or something, except that religion is barely mentioned in the game, so I might want to change that one too because I think it's a little forced.

But at this point I really need some second opinions, and to actually play with them in the campaign and see how they actually come off, it might be a little bit different than reading it in the python file.

I could kinda write a few things although my english is not a Queen's one...
For now, gotta rampage the lands with them!

Don't worry too much about the writing lol. It's not like Native's companions had award-winning writing either. Just adding more flavor to the game is already big plus points.

So I've found 3 things that need fixing.

1) During Kabuki's hire dialogue, I made a mistake in the recruiting dialogue. When he tells you how much money he needs, your response will say "Naturally, here is TOKEN UNRECOGNIZED denars" This is because I did the {reg3} incorrectly. I've already fixed this in my strings text, I'll upload it later. Should be save game compatible.

2) Sahand is supposed to be specialized in throwing, but I accidentally put the points in power draw. So he will start with 180 throwing but 2 points in power draw. Unfortunately for these changes to take effect, you will have start a new game. I looked into using the character import history, but pages only go as far as Gawain.

3) The Maximilian armour is too good and not in balance with the rest of Floris' items.  Well it's not overpowered, but it is a little stronger than full plate armour (by about +2). If you like it then you can safely ignore this one. If you dislike it, you can rebalance it with morphs warband editor, or delete it if you're starting a new game.

Here is the updated Troops.txt and Strings.txt
http://www.mediafire.com/download/m2lz020h5ogh0wn/Updated_Strings%2Btroops_text.rar

Lastly, anyone is welcome to use these 7 companions in their own mods (for personal use or as a mod release). Feel free to modify them any way you like, and don't worry about crediting me. I would just be happy if people used them.

Rivus said:
I looked into using the character import history, but pages only go as far as Gawain.
If you want to make the export/import function work in Floris for extra companions you'll need to find this section of code in module_game_menus.py:
Code:
#### export/import NPCs begin ####
  ("export_import_npcs", mnf_enable_hot_keys,
   "Please choose a character, then press the C key to view and export or import the chosen character history.^^You choose {reg0?{s0}:none}.",
   "none",
    [
      (assign, reg0, "$g_player_troop"),
      (str_store_troop_name, s0, "$g_player_troop"),
    ],
    [
      ("export_import_back",[],"Go back",
        [
          (assign, "$g_player_troop", "trp_player"),
          (set_player_troop, "$g_player_troop"),
          (jump_to_menu, "mnu_camp_action"),
        ]
      ),
    ]+[("export_import_npc"+str(x+1),
        [
          (store_add, ":dest_npc", "trp_npc1", x),
          (str_store_troop_name, s0, ":dest_npc"),
        ], "{s0}",
        [
          (assign, "$g_player_troop", ":dest_npc"),
        ]) for x in range(0, 12)]+[  #Floris - for new companions; was 0, 8
      ("export_import_next",[],"Next page", [(jump_to_menu, "mnu_export_import_npcs_2")]),
    ]
  ),

("export_import_npcs_2", mnf_enable_hot_keys,
    "Please choose a character, then press the C key to view and export or import the chosen character history.^^You choose {reg0?{s0}:none}.",
    "none",
     [
     ],
    [
      ("export_import_prev",[],"Previous page", [(jump_to_menu, "mnu_export_import_npcs")]),
      [
      ], "{s0}",
      [
      ]) for x in range(12, 23)] #Floris - for new companions; was 8, 17
  ),
#### export/import NPCs end ####

Now, you'd need to take that last menu block, copy it and change the number range so that it looked like:

Code:
#### export/import NPCs begin ####
  ("export_import_npcs", mnf_enable_hot_keys,
   "none",
    [
    ],
    [
      ("export_import_back",[],"Go back",
        [
          (assign, "$g_player_troop", "trp_player"),
          (jump_to_menu, "mnu_camp_action"),
        ]
      ),
        [
        ], "{s0}",
        [
        ]) for x in range(0, 12)]+[  #Floris - for new companions; was 0, 8
      ("export_import_next",[],"Next page", [(jump_to_menu, "mnu_export_import_npcs_2")]),
    ]
  ),

("export_import_npcs_2", mnf_enable_hot_keys,
    "none",
     [
     ],
    [
      ("export_import_prev",[],"Previous page", [(jump_to_menu, "mnu_export_import_npcs")]),
      ("export_import_next",[],"Next page", [(jump_to_menu, "mnu_export_import_npcs_3")]),
      [
      ], "{s0}",
      [
      ]) for x in range(12, 23)] #Floris - for new companions; was 8, 17
  ),

("export_import_npcs_3", mnf_enable_hot_keys,
    "none",
     [
     ],
    [
      ("export_import_prev",[],"Previous page", [(jump_to_menu, "mnu_export_import_npcs_2")]),
      [
      ], "{s0}",
      [
      ]) for x in range(23, 30)] #Floris - for new companions; was 8, 17
  ),
#### export/import NPCs end ####

That should make it so that a third page of companions becomes available.  You may need to change that 30 in the (23, 30) part near the end to fit the number of companions you have (+1).  Since Floris uses 22 companions the previous number was 23.  As you're adding 7 I believe you'll want 30 as the value.  Make that alteration and then anyone can import/export the extra companions to edit as they wish.

Thanks, I will definitely implement that into the mod sometime. That's probably a save compatible edit too, (it's just too bad I deleted my save already).

Back
Top Bottom