SP Native Things Fall Apart (Change log and fresh pics on front page) Updated 16/12

Users who are viewing this thread

ping_duck

Recruit
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

W.B Yeats, The Second Coming

Things Fall Apart an alternate story and war system for Mount&Blade v0.894.

The Setting

12 months prior, a small comet struck Calradia. Half of the Swadian empire was annihilated by the shock wave, and many Vaegir resources destroyed by the resulting turbulence of the oceans. An unofficial cease fire was called whilst both nations attempted to rebuild.  However, within the very crater the comet's impact created, large veins of iron were exposed.  The Vaegirs, who have suffered from a lesser availability of metals, seize their chance and begin struggling to produce vast armies of their own.

But the comet brought with it yet another plague. Many people across the land are drawn to the impact site, where some cities are being constructed to mine the iron. They follow one called The Voice, who claims that the comet brought with it armaggedeon, and that the surviving faithful had only to remove the dregs of humanity left on the earth, before 'ascension' would occur. The fanatics now have secured most of the continents iron sources, and refused to trade.

Meanwhile, a supply ship from Ziluania is pummeled by a fierce storm on the coast, before wrecking not too far from the Ziluanian colony of Zendar. There are only two survivors, stranded in a foreign land - You are one of those people.

Factions
Swadia
Vaegir
Fanatics
Ziluania

New Troops
A whole new tree of unarmored religious fanatics, with attributes of berserkers & savages
Ziluanian Guards

Features
  • Humour. We don't take fanatics seriously. Monkey Island Style.
  • War of Attrition Capabilities (Looting villages and storming caravans can cause cities to fall, and affect army sizes)
  • A detailed, branching. non-compulsory quest line.
  • New NPC's including Stagger Lee!
  • A giant crater!
  • A few new items. Not a priority (yet).
  • A totally awesome opening! Not to be missed!
  • Some other stuff!
  • Mouthwash in the middle ages!

Current Screenshots:

ship.jpg

A preview. In general. Kudos to Yoshiboy for the Galleon. 
the_voice.jpg

The VOIIICE
fanatic_battle_1.jpg

At battle, with fanatics. Oh and I died.
fanatic_battle_2.jpg

At battle, with fanatics, pre-death.
zendar_hall.jpg

A hall, in zendar. With the count, duke and some guards. Kudos to fisheye for not getting angry at us accidentally stealing his awesome shiny armor.
horse_forest.jpg

A new horse! Modelled on a horse named Jaffa. 
map2.jpg

The unbeautified map.
map3.jpg

The unbeautified map, plane view. You can tell I'm from Australia, hence the wide spreading beaches ...

Developers

Ping! (yes, this is my first ever post. Though I have played M&B for a while)  (scripting, textures, modeling, photo shopping, play testing etc)
amnesiation (scripting, textures, modeling, photo shopping, play testing etc)

We will be looking for play testers in a few weeks ^^. pm's welcome.

Progress log: (As of 4 days ago, when we started):

Coded messenger scripts
Made an ugly basic map
Finished Texturing lots of pretty horses (and one not so pretty horse)
Rewrote intro and altered scripts to spawn on scene
Implemented first few quests
Finished Zendar NPC dialogs & Guards & Hall
Finished Fanatic troop line & party templates
Learnt about circular dependencies, wished code was Java/Perl/C or even actual python.
Finished fanatic faces, blood splattered robes.
Created Iron mine scene & iron store scene
Added three recruitable characters, dialogs, story and quest triggers.
Created a scene with three chests, then fixed the wormhole that caused them to all access the same inventory.
Fixed trees, altered snow texture to be black carnage instead, now to remove the icicles in Khudan...

todo: STUFF

new_horses.JPG

A Black Andalusian, followed by a Bay Australian Stock Horse, with some old Thoroughbreds in the back ground. 

Woot! An update.

* Ported to 9*
* Edited scenes with cool stuff ^^
* Coded some new quests
* Made a nicer map (feedback? it needs a few more contours)
* ... etc

This looks great, good going!
So you've been secretly working on this all by yourself, bravo.
I particularly like the barren trees, nice touch. Presumably the Khergits have been blasted out of existence?

Keep up the excellent work.

Love the barren trees also.
Barren trees and a snowy landscape would be perfect.Topped of by a wind soundtrack.
The warm light of a tavern tucked away beneath the hills would be so inviting.
Roast pork and mead for me!

A quest line? Hawt trees? Great, but...
A big hole!? - This will by far be the best mod ever created!

Well, okay, seriously, I'm very much looking forward to playing it, as I think the M&B engine really suits a good storyline. Good luck, and godspeed :smile:

Looks great!

Hopefully the price of anything made of metal should drop because of a flooding of the market!

Good looking, love the hole, the shipwreck and trees  :grin:, I also like the fact that Khergits are the hole.
I got a question, is there by any chance that "The Voice" is inspired by "The Conscience" from The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc?

This looks nice.

When the time comes for testers, keep me in mind.

I suppose I'll pm you at some point.

Sounds interesting!  :smile:
Though the Hole seems a 'little' exxagerated, a thing that left a crater of that size would kill the whole continent.

And that dead soil looks... Mother... I haven't seen anything with a climate like that since The Glow from Fallout1 (I think the music from that location would fit well)

I agree with Balduran, though. You should make the hole itself somewhat smaller, and then in the space where it used to be, make a gradual buffer where everything begins becoming desolate and flattened, basically as far as its shockwave would go (it would still be undersized, but there's only so much you can do).

When I read the title I thought that this mod would be about the book that I had to read for school Things Fall Apart, set in tribal Africa, but I never liked that book anyways so that's okay.

Just a small question, why is it Swadia seems to have "half it's land destroyed with a shockwave" and the Vageir's only suffer resource loss when the REALLY BIG HOLE is on a lot nearer the Vaegirs?

But it looks good.

Redcoat - Mic said:
Just a small question, why is it Swadia seems to have "half it's land destroyed with a shockwave" and the Vageir's only suffer resource loss when the REALLY BIG HOLE is on a lot nearer the Vaegirs?

Ah, Because the land in the hole WAS Swadia. The Vaegirs had a lot less land, due to their lack of prevalence in the war.

AvaRice said:
When I read the title I thought that this mod would be about the book that I had to read for school Things Fall Apart, set in tribal Africa, but I never liked that book anyways so that's okay.

Good story. However Yeat's poem features in so many apocalyptic tales that one more can't hurt.

Balduran said:
Sounds interesting!  :smile:
Though the Hole seems a 'little' exxagerated, a thing that left a crater of that size would kill the whole continent.

And that dead soil looks... Mother... I haven't seen anything with a climate like that since The Glow from Fallout1 (I think the music from that location would fit well)

Yay! We love Fallout! Therefore, you should realise, PHYSICS HAS NO PLACE IN RPGS (except rag dolls). Because most people don't study high level university physics,  we did, but it's ruins so many good movies and games that it's better to ignore it.

Suspect-Device said:
Looks great!
Hopefully the price of anything made of metal should drop because of a flooding of the market!

Sorry, metal will be so far out of scope you'll need to source iron from fanatic stores, fight them off and return to have iron weapons made for your army.

War_B*stard said:
I particularly like the barren trees, nice touch. Presumably the Khergits have been blasted out of existence?

Shhh, they never existed. Think .808. Because of our fully fleshed out story line (with aim, depending on your faction) coding unique and non-repetitive quest lines would be difficult with more than 3 joinable factions. But the troop lines of Vaegir and Swadia will be extended a little to make them harder, you'll possibly see some similar troops to keep you light armored horse archers happy.

fisheye said:
Please remember to credit the sources of your models.  :wink:

Hmm, was that the shiny armour? We weren't sure where that came from, and that's the only other thing we've used, other than the native stuff. Sorry ^^

^^ Thanks for the interest.

Back
Top Bottom