A controversial subject of debate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cleaning agent

Grandmaster Knight
Ok. Here's the plan. I'm bored, so someone can think up a really controversial subject of debate, and then I'll be the devil's advocate and try and argue against the main viewpoint, no matter my views on the subject.

I'll choose the subject I like the most though, because I don't want to be arguing that red isn't actually red or something.  :???:

Anyway, start thinking!

:???: Sadly that one's already been argued to death, a lot of it by me. I got thoroughly beaten, then proverbially sodomised with a proverbial spiked strap-on by nearly everyone. I don't feel there's much else to do with that argument anyway...

I'd win easily. Too easily.  :lol:

Edit: Wait, I'd be arguing against the general flow of the forum though.  :razz: I guess I'd be able to stick up for myself for a little while, but I fear the solid proof scattered about the forum would work against me.

Nice one! Ok, we'll go with that for now.

What will the main viewpoint be? I'd guess that it'll be fairly evenly split, but the majority is likely to be for mother's choice.

Still, everyone say what your viewpoint is then I'll start off the debate on whichever side is least supported.

schmendict said:
Abortion - Mother's choice?

I agree here. If a mother doesn't want a baby she shouldn't have to have one. And the fetuses could be used to cure cancer possibly or other diseases.

And for those of you who dont know what abortion means.....
An abortion is the removal or expulsion of an embryo or fetus from the uterus, resulting in or caused by its death. This can occur spontaneously or accidentally as with a miscarriage, or be artificially induced by medical, surgical or other means. "Abortion" can refer to an induced procedure at any point during human pregnancy; it is sometimes medically defined as either miscarriage or induced termination before the point of viability.[1] Throughout history, abortion has been induced by various methods and the moral and legal aspects of abortion are subject to intense debate in many parts of the world.

Cleaning Agent said:
Yoshiboy said:
abortion gets babies to heaven quicker! I'm all for it.

Ilex said:
Obligatory. All babies must die.

Vilhjalmr said:

Hey I don't want to be rude here, but is it ok if we stick to the debate? You'd probably find it annoying if I spammed a thread you'd made, so do unto others and all that.

"Still, everyone say what your viewpoint is then I'll start off the debate on whichever side is least supported."

D:

Hm, I appreciate the thought, but I'd rather I was arguing against a unanimous front if I can possibly do so. Call me odd, but I want to make improve my debating skills, and the harder it is to debate something, the beter it is for me!

Anyway, it basically loks like everyone's for abortion, so I'll open the argument.

Abortion can eb viewed as a right of a woman, as something she is morally in the strongest postion to choose. But I think (not really :razz:) that it's eroneous to try and put the life of a baby into the hands of a mother. If a mother kills her child by sticking him in a freezer at birth, it's murder. If she has her child killed while it's still in ehr womb, it's a simple clinical intervention.

We treat unborn children like a cancer when they should be given the respect they're due! How can one argue for child rights and abortion at the same time without being completely hypocritical!?

It's a matter of when life begins. Is a child in the womb alive?

What if the mother doesn't have any condition of raising the baby. Should he be spared a life of suffering?

I think if the parents are ok with it then it's better to abort. A unwanted child is not going to be happy.

Are you sure? Sicne nobody is sure what happens after death, it's hardly fair to simply assume that it's better off dead. Who's to say it wouldn't have gotten some really great foster parents who would have given it all the love it needed?

A child that is unwanted by its original parents can still be wanted by other parents. IVF doesn't solve all the problems of mothers these days, so some people are forced to adopt, others might actually feel morally obliged to adopt, and would give this theoretical child a home!

Sure, if you can prove beyond a doubt that this child's life will be bad, then I agree. Until you can actually prove that it's pointless to speculate.

Cleaning Agent said:
We treat unborn children like a cancer when they should be given the respect they're due!
We kill tapeworm and other parasites without a second thought, why should a foetus be different? If it is unwanted by the mother, then by forcing her to give birth, aren't you merely condemning the unwanted child to a life of abuse and neglect at the hands of parents who do not want to raise it?

Also, by what right could a government, or anyone else for that matter, legislate what anyone can do to their own body.

How can one argue for child rights and abortion at the same time without being completely hypocritical!?
At what point does a collection of growing cells become a child? If we define a child before birth, then don't we step on the slippery slope which eventually leads to semen and eggs becoming state property?

Back
Top Bottom