Why State flag and Regiment flag?

Users who are viewing this thread

I am responsible for some things in ACW Blue and Grey mod.We were discussing about static flags with a mod team member today. He said there were no State Flags in the civil war battlefield. But in that mod,there is State flag-Regiment flag combination instead of National flag-Regiment flag combination. Can someone tell me which one is true?

I can't say which statement is true although I believe he may be right. For the Union they would have the regiments flag and the US flag with (usually) an inscription, for example 3rd NY, or something.

The Confederates generally used just one flag, the battle flag, and on that flag they would either put their battle honors and/or unit name. Very early in the war, some might have used their state flag in addition to the stars and bars (the battle flag didn't come into use till late 61, early 62).

Lastly, you're not always going to find a regiments flag for use in game.  :neutral:

Mysterious... Can you tell me the lost ones you know? I will search this a little. Meanwhile I could not understand why CSA did not use state flags. It was a confederation and as far as I know, soldiers were collected by states independently. If I were them,I would use state flags.

Back
Top Bottom