Do my legwork for me; or, I've been out the loop: help suggest bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

So late next month I finally get to fix my desktop after I managed to break the MoBO, the Proc and probably the PSU in a short of some kind. This will also allow me to get back to streaming! However, I've not really been following hardware for a while. I need suggestions.

My budget is ~£1000. I need CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, Headset, Mechanical keyboard, and maybe a new GFX Card if I can stretch it, my old 470 is starting to give up the goose on newer games.

Assuming you have an ATX case,

CPU/MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1392846
$366.98

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220685
$74.99

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153179
$189.99
---
No GPU total
$631.96
£404.04
---
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127751
$399.99
---
With GPU total
$1031.95
£659.77

Headset, keyboard would be personal preference. Price on those would be negligible compared to the above.

This is basically the highest practical tier of possible gaming setup possible without dipping into SLI/CrossfireX.

I do have an ATX case, yes.

Newegg isn't an option for me as a Brit, so looking at various places:

That MoBo costs me ~£160

The CPU ~£190

Comparable PSU: ~£100

RAM: ~£60

Total: ~£510

GPU: ~£320

Total w/GPU: ~£830.

A Mechanical keyboard costs ~60-£80 or so, so ~£100 for a solid headset. Manageable, I guess. Recommendations for those would be good, same with alternate builds. Cheers for that though Splintert, gives me a good idea what to research.

You could very easily save money on the PSU, I picked out an extremely high quality one because there was some wiggle room from Newegg.

I don't know much about headsets or keyboards as I've always used junk that I have available. I recently bought a Logitech G230 which works for what I need.

A good headset (Microsoft Lifechat LX 3000, which is even recommended by the experienced LP crew of SomethingAwful, thread unlinkable to atm, unless you're a member) you can get for under £20, according to Amazon. Nobody so far has whinged about the quality of it while I've been usin' it.

Unless you want to get some ****e like a blue yeti for close to £90. Which is v. good from what I've heard but ****ing pricey.

Could always just buy some components used to save money and even try looking for a 470 to sli (probably hard now to find someone selling one). The only thing a 470 should have trouble with in newer games with dx11 options, I have a friend still using 3x480s and it handles everything fine and he runs a 30" monitor.

No, but 30" at 1600p is identical to 5" at 1600p, whereas you presented it as a point that it was a 30" monitor.

Does he suffer from problems like micro-stuttering or incompatibility in games?

A lot of razer haters here, but I've heard nothing but good things about this one http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Tiamat-Surround-Gaming-Headset/dp/B007CS9WYI

I also really like my razer mechanical board, but it was a bit pricey.

Overpriced... not really? Pieces of ****... also not really? I've had my peripherals for a year and half and they've had no issues at all. Not to mention, $100 usd for a mechanical keyboard is pretty fair, it's comparable to most other gaming mechanicals. And their mice are the lightest weight highest dpi mice on the market. I've used other mice and the razer mice are more responsive and weighted far better.

J said:
A good headset (Microsoft Lifechat LX 3000, which is even recommended by the experienced LP crew of SomethingAwful, thread unlinkable to atm, unless you're a member) you can get for under £20, according to Amazon. Nobody so far has whinged about the quality of it while I've been usin' it.
Amen. 'tis a highly serviceable headset and it's USB, which is lovely. Oh so many times I've had trouble with faulty audio ports

$170 headset on a 1k budget seems silly.

I rather spend as much on the gpu as possible and not waste it on overpriced peripherals.

I doubt the razer is even as light as my old roccat mouse but I've only briefly used a friends razer mouse. I've owned logitech, roccat and steelseries mice. Only using sennheiser headsets now since they are great (last one started acting up after three years and was able to have it replaced for free).

I just wouldn't buy razer after seeing some QC issues and their laughable laptops. They are basically the apple equivalent in peripherals, pretty and overpriced.

No point in getting a mech keyboard or mouse without trying a few out in person first. Some mice work better for certain grips and mech keyboards have different properties that you may or may not want.

Yeah. I've used a lot of Mech keyboards before, so I know what I'd like. Keyboards with the same switches tend to feel similar, so brown or clear switches are my ideal bits.

And I like my mice heavy and I run low DPI, so bollocks to "Light and high DPI". Also, I'm not needing a new bloody mouse.

I'm currently using a das black mech keyboard which is suppose to be better for gaming but the next mech keyboard I get will be a brown.

Elisianthus said:
I'm not a fan of black switches - the smooth force curve on them doesn't give me the right feedback, prefer something with a bit of a click.

Which is why they are pretty **** for long periods of typing but I still manage just fine.

My next keyboard is probably going to be a roccat since I am a whore for customization and pretty colors.

Back
Top Bottom