PC Specs Good Enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ferocity

Regular
I am getting a new desktop tomorrow and I wanted to know based on its specs how many soldiers(of any and all types) I could have on the field in any given battle on max settings, here they are:

AMD Radeon™ HD 7560D Graphics
AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor
8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 SDRAM memory
1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
Processor Speed:    3.20GHz
Operating System:    Windows 8

Splintert said:
Integrated AMD graphics won't bode well for most 3D games. Warband should run decently, though.
Specifically, what does "won't bode well" mean in terms of playing Mount&Blade(not warband) or console games on it. They'll crash? or they won't play at all?

They'll run, they might even run better than your old system depending on what you had before. In large battles, I would expect poor performance. Most games will be forced into minimal settings.

Splintert said:
They'll run, they might even run better than your old system depending on what you had before. In large battles, I would expect poor performance. Most games will be forced into minimal settings.
So I would be buying 500$ computer with those kickass specs just to play on minimal settings? And you're sure of this?

That's to be expected. You'd have to buy a video card separate if you wanted to improve, which would also likely require a new power supply. The specs aren't as kickass as the advertisement would have you believe.

A top-of-the-line gaming PC would run you around $1000 if you spent intelligently, and you can get a good one for $750 easily. $500 gets you a good home/entertainment PC.

Splintert said:
That's to be expected. You'd have to buy a video card separate if you wanted to improve, which would also likely require a new power supply. The specs aren't as kickass as the advertisement would have you believe.

A top-of-the-line gaming PC would run you around $1000 if you spent intelligently, and you can get a good one for $750 easily. $500 gets you a good home/entertainment PC.

Wow, well that's a huge kick in the balls. Thanks for the honesty and information. BTW would an i5 be any better?

Like Tuckles says, an i5 will outperform the AMD A8 in almost any CPU related task. However, the AMD A8's integrated graphics outperforms Intel's HD series. You'll get more frames per second on the AMD processor only if you do not get a dedicated video card.

If you do get a dedicated video card, integrated graphics is not used, therefore the i5 would be a better choice in terms of raw performance.

This is a huge let down. I clearly have no grasp on computer science. I just knew that desktops were better for gaming. I currently use a GX730 MSi laptop as my primary computer, it's starting to die so I was aiming on getting a gaming computer that I could upgrade as the years pass because I am giving up console gaming thanks to the Xbox One. So I saw this computer that came with a keyboard and mouse for only 500$ and I thought it was a steal for a gaming computer( or at least a potential one). I guess I was wrong.

My current laptop (which I use for gaming) set me back ~1200 USD:

SLI'd 750m's (one is hotswappable for a diskdrive or more HDD space) with 2.0 GB VRAM
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, 24 GB SSD
2.40 GHz i7-3630QM
16 GB DDR3 RAM

Tuckles said:
My current laptop (which I use for gaming) set me back ~1200 USD:

SLI'd 750m's (one is hotswappable for a diskdrive or more HDD space) with 2.0 GB VRAM
1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, 24 GB SSD
2.40 GHz i7-3630QM
16 GB DDR3 RAM

Does this translate into you being able to play M&B with 1000 soldiers on max setting using battle sizer?

Haven't tried, but I can play AC3 and DotA 2 on all high. It should work though, depending on how well optimized the mod you're playing is. If they made LODs and stuff for all their models, etc.

I'd give it a try but I can't be bothered to reinstall warband. :razz:

Well, it's good you came here. These guys are very helpful.

Your main problem with running 1,000 troops in a single battle isn't going to be your computer though, the game can't handle it. If it doesn't crash, then the AI will still have degraded dramatically (and it wasn't terribly impressive to begin with). Beyond the AI not quite functioning properly, the combat is not anywhere close to being designed for battles to be fought with that many troops. The maps are not big enough and the troops will be one giant retarded cluster****. Even worse if they are obstacles. Sieges will take hours.

Basically, you'll want to go to maybe 600 maximum.

Secondarily, I'd still suggest going the extra mile to getting a better computer for 700-1000 USD. It'll age more slowly and give you more time to recover from spending a grand on a single object.

Yeah, unless you move around a lot and are horribly addicted to videogames (read: me), you're better off getting a very good desktop. That $1000 desktop would be at least 1.5x better than my laptop and last twice as long.

Lap-tops are also much more difficult to repair and upgrade yourself, with many upgrades even being impossible.

Indeed, but with the cost of excess baggage inflating to over $150 per piece nowadays, I've probably recouped all my losses (save opportunity costs) in going the laptop route. :razz:

KLM and Delta. *fist shake*

Actually, not sure about Delta, but I took KLM before and one of my hand carries were too big apparently and I had to pay 100 quid to have it as last minute check in. :c

Back
Top Bottom