Help with USB clip!

Users who are viewing this thread

13 Spider Bloody Chain

Grandmaster Knight
Ugh! My 1 Gig usb clip refuses to acknowledge that I've deleted a file in it.

I stuffed a pretty big file in there (about 600 megs), and after I transferred it to my other computer, I deleted that file. But the USB clip doesn't think that it's been deleted, so there's 600 megs of wasted space in that thing.

Any help?

...huh, well that was easy. Thanks, Arch.

...any idea why it did that, though? Why it wouldn't restore the used data space once files were deleted?

Probably either Windows Removable Media database SNAFU, or else the FAT on the USB wasn't cleared properly. Can happen sometimes. Depending on the USB stick itself, could also be caused by the file being corrupted rather than deleted.

Doesn't matter though, formatting will nuke the lot of em!

Windows will also sometimes use a recycle bin for removable drives rather than directly deleting files (depending on the drive capacity and file size), so emptying the recycle bin is needed to free the space back up.

Archonsod said:
or else the FAT on the USB wasn't cleared properly.
Despite the fact that I know that FAT is the file system, it still gives me an image of a USB pen with lard being pumped out of it :lol:

On a more serious note, some of the older flashpens didn't work if you formatted them - something to do with drivers, if I remember correctly. That, or it was windows ME being its old self.

Cymro said:
On a more serious note, some of the older flashpens didn't work if you formatted them - something to do with drivers, if I remember correctly. That, or it was windows ME being its old self.
Most older models had the electronics emulated as part of the filesystem, but they usually shipped with specific formatting software.

Back
Top Bottom