The PKK

Users who are viewing this thread

Squire
Probably some of you already know about the PKK attacks targeting Turkish soldiers and civillians, and the decision of Turkey to perform a cross-border operation to destroy the PKK camps in North Iraq.

I was having a look at well-known international newspapers to see their comments on the subject and realized that their perception of the PKK and that of people of Turkey are quite different. I am starting this thread to figure out what the international community thinks about the PKK. Is it a terrorist organisation? Or is it a legitimate one? What do the media in your country say about it? What do your people think? And, of course, what do you think?

I intentionally avoided giving any links about the PKK as I would like to know what you would say if you were asked about it just right now. Still, it might be a good idea to give a shortcut for those who wants to search for the PKK in the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKK

And a final note: Please avoid any form of flaming as the subject is really touchy.

Thanks in advance.

Well the media here are being fairly neutral, although they're certainly not being made out to be good guys or anything. Being in the UK, the focus is mainly on the Iraq side of the story, and the repercussions it might have on "big bro" America.

Oh, you are talking about that terror organisation.

PKK killed approximate 40 turkish soldiers at this times...
PKK kidnapped 8 Turkish Soldiers. And, what do you think it is legitimate one? I don't think so. Remember, Israel's 2 soldiers has been kidnapped. After that, Israel DESTROYED the Lebanon.

Turkey is in a paradox. But join to the North Iraq is unique way.

Regards,
Deahran

Depends.  I can see why they want to try and join with the Kurdish regions of Iraq, but at the same time, they are terrorists. 

Edit:  Its similar in some ways to the IRA and the Troubles in Northern Ireland.  They've got a legitimate reason for wanting to leave, but they're going about it in ways that really don't enable me to support them. 

1 said:
Probably some of you already know about the PKK attacks targeting Turkish soldiers and civillians, and the decision of Turkey to perform a cross-border operation to destroy the PKK camps in North Iraq.

Well, I'm surprised to hear of that. I'm currently in Germany and they are traditionally sensible about matter that concern Turkey. I haven't yet heard of that. Strange. Will try to inform myself.

:edit:

... when i feel better ...

Eh.

I liken them to any violent separatists; ETA, CRI, and yes, in some ways, the IRA.

Good cause, bad methods.

@Arch: You sound like a hard-line Black and Tan'er. I don't like them much either, but it sounds a wee bit like you'd rather see raids and shootouts over talks and diplomacy. Not my business, but I wouldn't have expected such a strong reaction from you...

Archonsod said:
The PKK took my baby away ....

They're much like the IRA, and like the IRA they should be exterminated in short order.

They're mostly gone now. I'm living in what used to be one of the most bombed town in europe since WW2 (because of the IRA ofcourse). Most of my friend's parents used to be in the IRA.

Grunwalder said:
@Arch: You sound like a hard-line Black and Tan'er. I don't like them much either, but it sounds a wee bit like you'd rather see raids and shootouts over talks and diplomacy. Not my business, but I wouldn't have expected such a strong reaction from you...

Archonsod said:
The PKK took my baby away ....

They're much like the IRA, and like the IRA they should be exterminated in short order.

Now that would be most natural when things get personal.

Terrorists, and freedom fighters are the same
thing. Legitimacy is always subjective, for this
crap. There are some just grievances, but the
actions are using the only weapons that the
weak have. Their opponents are able to paint
them with the brush of their actions, while they
paint themselves as heroes. So long as we have
nations, this will continue - and I'm not sure that
I like the idea of a unified and oppressive world
govt.

Grunwalder said:
Well, having to live through about four years of my life where you weren't sure which building would explode next kind of does that to you, especially when the government seems to be doing sod all about it :lol:

Not sure I would lump myself in with the Black and Tans though, I'd have kept it legit - the IRA declared war on us, we should have declared it right back. See how the bunch of ****wits managed to deal with cruise missiles and air strikes.

Archonsod said:
Not sure I would lump myself in with the Black and Tans though, I'd have kept it legit - the IRA declared war on us, we should have declared it right back. See how the bunch of ****wits managed to deal with cruise missiles and air strikes.
And how exactly are you going to hit those ****wits hiding in cities with cruise missiles without killing a lot of innocent people in those same cities?

I wouldn't. It's an incredibly simple proposal. Either they tell us where the ****wits are and we'll take them out with minimum civilian casualties, or we start killing indiscriminately. Either way, problem solved.

But its never that simple, what with people who mightn't, like, you know, support the IRA but still live there?

Back
Top Bottom